Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lower shock mounting question (Read 99 times)
sbaugz
Ex Member

lower shock mounting question
06/02/11 at 04:25:38

I have a ryca kit and had a question for someone with a stock ls650. I am mounting the rear shocks. The lower stock bolt and acorn nut with one single washer were used to mount my new RYCA shock. The acorn nut bottoms out on the bolt before it completely sandwiches the lower shock mount in place, allowing the bolt/nut complex to turn freely. I cannot recall if this is how the stock one works or not. I am thinking that maybe the new shocks are just a little narrower, so maybe I need to add another washer. If someone could confirm whether their stock ls650 lower shock bolt turns or not, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: lower shock mounting question
Reply #1 - 06/02/11 at 04:57:45

No it shouldn't turn freely.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kernel ken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loveland Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/02/11 at 06:19:43

Why not try putting one of the original shocks back on with the same hardware to determine how it came from the factory. You'd only need to attach one end to get the answer.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/11 at 07:07:31

kernel ken wrote on 06/02/11 at 06:19:43:
Why not try putting one of the original shocks back on with the same hardware to determine how it came from the factory. You'd only need to attach one end to get the answer.

good point, if I still had the OEM shocks, but they were sold a few months ago.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 06/02/11 at 07:23:59

I'm using different shocks from the stock ones and the Progressives that Ryca supplies. I have the same situation, so I got some more washers to take up the slack.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
kernel ken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loveland Ohio
Reply #5 - 06/02/11 at 07:43:47

Since I'm at "work" I can't go out into the garage and check this out for myself, but here's the mental image I have of the rear shocks.

The top location of the shock is fixed at a point on the frame. The bottom of the shock is attached to the swing arm. As the swing arm moves up and down the bottom shock mounting point travels through an arc. The shock not only compresses and expands, the bottom of the shock also moves fore and aft. Probably not a whole lot of movement but still moving fore and aft. If that is the case, I would think you wouldn't want the ends of the shocks firmly fixed to their mounts. You would want them to be able to rotate slightly to allow for the fore and aft movement. Take a look snd see if you think I'm right.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/02/11 at 08:30:03

The shock will need to turn on the bolt, but the bolt should capture the pivot tightly.

Add a washer.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 06/02/11 at 08:31:13

Between the bushings in the shock eyelets and the washers on the top and bottom mounting bolts, there's enough play in the mounting system to allow any necessary movement. Be sure to use a little lube on the bolts and washer faces.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/02/11 at 09:17:57

verslagen1 wrote on 06/02/11 at 08:30:03:
The shock will need to turn on the bolt, but the bolt should capture the pivot tightly.

Add a washer.

thanks, that's the answer I was looking for

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:37:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lower shock mounting question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.