Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Dirty Jobs
Reply #15 - 05/21/11 at 21:45:22

I'm a language and engineering fanatic. Always have been, I was reading real books at age 4. Have been spinning wrenches since I was 4 or 5. At one point I could pull, strip down, rebuild and reinstall a Harley powertrain in under 3 hours. Indian big twin flatties in under 2 hours. Made Eagle Scout at 15, could have been done with all the requirements at age 13 but got bored and slacked off.

I was offered a full ride to Hopkins. Took the SATs in 7th grade. Failed out of the state ag school, I was bored to tears. Knew more than the instructors, proved it a few too many times.

My wife thinks it is absolutely hilarious that I'm nearly computer illiterate. Can't help it, I'm technophobic. Anything more complex than points ignition and I just don't care to learn it.

She handles our finances. I think money is funny colored little bits of paper with no intrinsic value. She also does 90% or better of our four wheel trips. I absolutely hate driving, always have. Funny when you consider we have 6 trucks, 3 cars, 4 motorcycles between the 3 people on this farm. I'll run a tractor all day long.

I'm happiest when I'm filthy from head to toe. Coop me up in an office or research lab and I'll be dead in a year.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/23/11 at 19:30:05

WD wrote on 05/21/11 at 21:45:22:
I'm a language and engineering fanatic. Always have been, I was reading real books at age 4. Have been spinning wrenches since I was 4 or 5. At one point I could pull, strip down, rebuild and reinstall a Harley powertrain in under 3 hours. Indian big twin flatties in under 2 hours. Made Eagle Scout at 15, could have been done with all the requirements at age 13 but got bored and slacked off.

I was offered a full ride to Hopkins. Took the SATs in 7th grade. Failed out of the state ag school, I was bored to tears. Knew more than the instructors, proved it a few too many times.

My wife thinks it is absolutely hilarious that I'm nearly computer illiterate. Can't help it, I'm technophobic. Anything more complex than points ignition and I just don't care to learn it.

She handles our finances. I think money is funny colored little bits of paper with no intrinsic value. She also does 90% or better of our four wheel trips. I absolutely hate driving, always have. Funny when you consider we have 6 trucks, 3 cars, 4 motorcycles between the 3 people on this farm. I'll run a tractor all day long.

I'm happiest when I'm filthy from head to toe. Coop me up in an office or research lab and I'll be dead in a year.

I wasnt that smart or quite that messed up over driving, but I can sure understand that "Im happy when Im filthy".
Kinda strange to me you dont dig driving  truck,, I dig mine, 300 Cubic inch, 6 cylinder Ford, 4 speed. Keeping the RPM down, working it, stretching the MPG, not luggin it, listening to it run, watchin that tach,, I enjoy operating that thing, Sitting behind a wheel, just keepin something between the ditches, deadly boring.

Ask Santa for  back hoe,, youll love that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 05/23/11 at 20:45:35

Have one, John Deere 5400. Was using the front end loader bucket on it today to snag chunks of oak out of the blowdown. Trying to get photos to the insurance company, car dolly and a bunch of implements got damaged. Micro-burst took the tree down on 4/19.

Let's see:  Trucks you say? 85 C10 Silverado, 4.3 V6/auto, short wide bed. Boring, ugly, shakes like crazy. 92 Ranger longbed (114"wb), 2.3/5spd is wrecked. 94 Ranger shortbed (108"wb) 2.3L 4 banger/5spd. Haunted but I drive it anyway. 85 C60 BIG V8/4spd, utility bucket truck. Squirrels keep snacking on hydraulic hoses. 69 D-100 longbed, 318/727 auto. Runs good after it uses 2 gallons of fuel to start. Not street legal, bad electrical glitches in the rear harness. 49 Dodge 1/2 ton 218 L6 (flathead)/3 spd (on the floor where it belongs). Replacement 230 flathead being prepped for it, I'll drive this one. Been in my family since new. Not sure it counts but, 70ish Ungers Coach motorhome, Dodge 413-3/727 auto.

Cars? 95 Subaru Outback, I don't like it, puts my legs to sleep. Unknown year Pontiac Vibe (don't like Toyotas). 72 VW Super Beetle, father in law grenaded my 2300cc dual Webered engine and replaced it with a 1600cc single carb.

Bikes? 98 Savage (full custom). 96 Intruder 800 (Lisa's). 63 Honda CL72 (in pieces). 70 Honda CL100 (can't find it, think it is at a shop).

Tractors? JD 5400; JD 1020 (3 cylinder gasoline); JD 3020; JD can't remember but it is European and decent sized, pulls a 12' finish mower; Kubota L1510 (everything is in Japanese, gray market tractor); Massey Ferguson 165 with 14' rough cut mower/bush hog; Kubota front mount 6' deck finishing mower.

There are other toys here... But, I hate sailing, so the sailboat is rotting away in the center orchard.  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
joscswny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NH
Reply #18 - 06/03/11 at 09:43:33

I was born in the late 40’s.  Father did not want me to “learn the hard way” or to work as he had needed to.

I played sports and goofed off until I graduated from high school.  I went to a prestigious Engineering school and made the Dean’s List.  No, the other Dean’s List.  Here began a VERY steep learning curve.  

My second year of college was at a state junior college and I paid half.  I returned to the first school and 7 years later I graduated.  The last 5 years I paid for by myself.  I had a very small debt.  After graduation I began to work with my hands.  I believe I can do anything or learn to do anything that has to do with dirt, grease, wood or metal.

My dirtiest job was as a commercial roofer.  My crew and I stripped an old tar roof from a center-drain wooden roof deck.  The deck had a pigeon coup.  The center drain was blocked by several generations of pigeons that had passed.  Some were only bones, some just starting the journey.  My performance was enhanced by the aftereffect of a
a “slight” beverage induced euphoria.  

This job was rivaled by many but surpassed by none.  

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #19 - 06/03/11 at 11:55:18

I'll second that on commercial roofers!

My grandfather was a roofer and tinsmith in Brooklyn -- still climbing ladders well into his 70's, only stopping 'cause of diabetes related blindness.  I don't think he ever used work gloves, or gave up on them because they wore out so quickly.  He had hands like feet.  There were calluses in the palms of his hand at least an inch thick.

I had a few "dirty gigs" in high school and college, but now, I have to keep my hand clean at work.  Still, with motorcycles, bicycles and boats I can get pleasantly dirty on the weekend!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 06/03/11 at 13:59:58

Well my dad was a small building contractor,I started working with him when I was in 6th grade.My brother worked one day and me the next til high school and then we both worked every day.Build my first own house when I was 22 years old on nights and Sundays. So I have worked with my hands all my life,Was just getting good at building when it was time to retire.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #21 - 06/03/11 at 17:41:57

I have to really think on this one as have worked since
I was young. Hmmm ok well as far as dirty, it acutally
could be classified as smelly...Ok here goes..
Back in about 1986, ex hubby worked with the commercial
fishermen on the Columbia River.
He unloaded the boats as they came in with their catch.
Well that year the Salmon showed up in abundance.
The Salmon run had not been like that in years.
Myself along with 2 of the fishermen wives decided to help
out..
The fish were placed into totes on the dock.
Us gals job was to bring the fish up from the lower dock
to the upper continers.
Sounds easy right.. Well it would have been had their been
a conveyor belt.
We were the belt.. We carried 2 fish at a time up the dock.
Not that bad until the tide went out. Then the dock ramp
was like walking up a hill.
Also we worked steady for 14 to 16 hrs. When we were able
to sleep, I would wake up with my hands curved.
Like I had carried fish in my sleep..
The first week we did this for almost 5 days straight.
All in all we worked 3 weeks and then the fish season
was closed. I made some good money. Yet again long
hard hours.
The first couple days we had no rain gear. So our clothes
were literally covered in fish slime...Those clothes
were thrown away..
Yes definetly the smelliest job I ever had..   Smiley kim

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #22 - 06/03/11 at 23:00:04

I prefer working my living history tasks than being in the office - always have. But around here those outdoor jobs pay $8 or less an hour, so I do the office work to pay the mortgage.

Anyway, its reassuring to go to the living history events and see all sorts of old trades being practiced, albeit by a very small minority of people, at least they aren't dead and lost yet.

My history friends are blacksmiths, tailors (of 18 + 19 century clothing made by hand), farm workers on historic sites (oxen teams, horses, sheep, cows, chickens all tended by hand), chairmakers, tinsmiths, weavers, coopers, musicians, singers and dancers of 200+ year old music and dance, even a slate tombstone carver and more. Its wonderful!

So even tho I work on computer and finances in an office, I can use a spinning wheel, milk a cow or goat, ride horses, tend all sorts of farm animals like chickens and sheep, weave on 18th century looms, knit, crochet, make butter, cheese, and other foods by hand in 18th century style, am a seamstress of 18-19th century clothing all by hand using period techniques, I can shear a sheep, and take the wool from raw to dying, carding, spinning and then woven cloth and clothing all by hand.
And as most of you know - this is ALL DIRTY sweaty hard work - but I always feel better doing this type of thing; like it MEANS something when you've done it yourself, you know where the end product came from and how.  Thats black powder on my face fromfiring the musket btw...

Immersion events rock - 4 days of LIVING in the 18th century. Now that is hard and dirty work!

Spinning - also meeesy when you do it from shearing to weave - but my hands are soft from the lanolin!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 06/04/11 at 06:28:25

You'd fit right in at our house... 1840s plantation. Coal forge smithy, double barrel caplock shotgun (carried by Lisa's Confederate great-great grandfather), heirloom garden, heirloom orchards... Adding a chicken yard, heritage breed livestock. Centurion Minimus Maximus (our mini quarter horse, aka Sir S**ts A-Lot, aka Max) has a harness and I'm going to fix the small single bottom plow for him to pull...

I learned how to drive a horse and buggy when I was in grade school, neighbor restored 19th century buggies, wagons, carts, surreys, etc.

Lisa and I are former SCA (pre-1640) re-enactors. Still have all our gear. Her wedding dress was 10th century design. I wore Black Watch kilt, usually wore Royal Ross Hunting kilt/plaid (ancient colors). Her family has been UDC, DAR, SCV for decades.

We are planning on converting the farm into a working Southern heritage farm preserve. With rental garden spots, a healthy u-fish pond full of native species, small camping area (primitive) and a small farm store (all organic). Family friendly naturist beach on the pond, some naturist friendly garden spots.

Guest trailer is ready if/when you need a break from what you are going through. All the modern amenities (right in front of the smithy).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #24 - 06/07/11 at 00:49:26

The summer of 1979 I worked for a rendering company in southern Nebraska.  For those of you who may not know what a rendering company is, they collect or pick up dead livestock, butchershop waste cans, larger road kill, etc.  A job thats bad enough during the cool months, but in the peak summer heat it's gut-wrenched gagging at the least.  Was never so glad to leave a job for college in the Fall!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/07/11 at 03:54:34

Yep, pulling out dead hogs on the farm to the collection container was bad enough, and that was when they were "fresh".    Sometimes not so fresh, how could you miss a dead 240# hog in the summertime?  For a day or more.....

That also reminded me of a guy I worked with.   Really smart but decided he was going to work rather than college.  His stepdad got him a job at the slaughter house.  Apparently the pranksters there thought it was a real hoot to put cow brains in his coat pocket, or liver chunks in his lunch bag.......
Musta motivated him cuz he ended up with structural engineering degree from the citadel.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #26 - 06/07/11 at 18:46:42

WD wrote on 06/04/11 at 06:28:25:
You'd fit right in at our house... 1840s plantation. Coal forge smithy, double barrel caplock shotgun (carried by Lisa's Confederate great-great grandfather), heirloom garden, heirloom orchards... Adding a chicken yard, heritage breed livestock. Centurion Minimus Maximus (our mini quarter horse, aka Sir S**ts A-Lot, aka Max) has a harness and I'm going to fix the small single bottom plow for him to pull...

I learned how to drive a horse and buggy when I was in grade school, neighbor restored 19th century buggies, wagons, carts, surreys, etc.

Lisa and I are former SCA (pre-1640) re-enactors. Still have all our gear. Her wedding dress was 10th century design. I wore Black Watch kilt, usually wore Royal Ross Hunting kilt/plaid (ancient colors). Her family has been UDC, DAR, SCV for decades.

We are planning on converting the farm into a working Southern heritage farm preserve. With rental garden spots, a healthy u-fish pond full of native species, small camping area (primitive) and a small farm store (all organic). Family friendly naturist beach on the pond, some naturist friendly garden spots.

Guest trailer is ready if/when you need a break from what you are going through. All the modern amenities (right in front of the smithy).

My family is Scots-Irish, and all that farm wok I know how to do! - so your place is looking better ALL the time! You definitley need a bald-headed hired hand!  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #27 - 06/10/11 at 12:36:00

WD wrote on 06/04/11 at 06:28:25:

Does "naturist" mean what I thought it means ?  Seems like kind of a wierd farm Shocked

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 06/10/11 at 13:58:00

Naturist does equal nudist (kinda). If that is what you were asking. And it is a recreational pursuit/lifestyle that is really catching on. Our home has been clothing optional for as long as I can recall. None of my stepson's friends (male or female) ever had an issue with it.

Farm is in the process of going organic. They tie in together rather well.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 17:15:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dirty Jobs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.