Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: No Class.
Reply #15 - 05/10/11 at 16:10:19

I resemble that helmet remark... Angry Absolutely despise the things. Have a police spec USA made cork lined Buco 1/2 shell from the late 60s (believe it or not, Snell certified). Have a police spec USA made "modern " half helmet (1997 vintage) bought from Gulf Coast HD Biloxi MS. Have a couple other half shells here, left 2 at the old place when we moved.

Cold weather you say? Snell 1981 spec Arai 3/4 shell, dark green and black with gold pinstipes, matches my 63 Honda. Both useless at the moment... Grin Or I have a Snell 2005 can't remember for sure but think HJC 3/4 shell that looks retro. Red pearl, sometimes has the face shield on, sometimes has it off. Depends on weather and mood.

When I lived on the Idaho border I'd stop, remove my helmet and throw it across the road into the Washington bound ditch. Would stop and put it back on re-entering Washington.

Wouldn't wear a full face if I was paid to unless I was at the racetrack and sanctioned class rules required it. Which it doesn't for the displacement/age of my track bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #16 - 05/11/11 at 00:46:44

Got a half helmet i carry sometimes for a rider as a spare. Wear a 3/4 myself but going to find me a nice modular to replace it. Broken arm, leg i can deal with(and have) but broken Jaw would really mess up my day and want to keep my teeth. Not to crazy about driveing my jawbone up into my brain either. Fracktured skulls, concussions, internal bleeding of the sinuses and eyes is'nt much fun either. Ive had massive truama to the head and it aint no fun. Effects and pain last for years.  I like the wind in my hair but i like liveing better. Cool

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #17 - 05/11/11 at 09:33:13

I bet Springfield hums every weekend from the tourists! I live around Washington now, just across the river from the wineries. The locals, for the most part, drive with sense, but on weekends I leave that stretch of road alone. Too many "hotdogs", both 2 wheel and cage, getting buzzed up and looking for attention...which the local police force is more than happy to provide. Sadly, Darwin candidates often take other people with them when they go!  Tongue

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 05/11/11 at 12:27:29

Springfield and branson both are big tourist towns. Bad thing is i think springfield is either the second or third worst for idjit cagers in MO. ST louie and KC MIGHT be worse...tossup.
Bass Pro's main store is a BIG BIG draw in springfield among other things. Branson Landing and Silver Dollar City are BIG draws in Branson. Traffic pretty well sucks down there as well.

AVOID, i say AVOID springfield at rush hour of a morning or evening, most especialy on a friday evening if at all possible. This is in a cage. Take your own chances on a bike. Ill sit in a parking lot somewhere for an hour before ill navigate traffic in the evening rush hour on a bike.
Crazy, sadistic, agressive, suicidal and just flat rude and mean is what they are. Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 05/11/11 at 19:20:19

Are you sure you don't live in Memphis or Seattle? Both those cities need to disappear from the face of the earth. Not like they'd be missed...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #20 - 05/12/11 at 01:26:04

Nashville is another city id like to avoid if possible. Been through there twice and that was two times to many. I LOVE the way some of the on ramps come out from behind blind walls. Chugging along and next thing you know you got a car right next to you trying to get onto the freeway.

There are some nice roads between St Louis and Owensburough KY id like to ride sometime.
Some good ones down in SE MO as well with a LOT of places to see like lil round springs, big round springs, blue springs, Johnson shutins, elephant rocks ect. Thinking of makeing a run down that way later in the summer.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #21 - 05/12/11 at 10:42:03

Not trying to hijack the thread to some other subject, but let me comment on helmets.

Everything is a compromise.  I wear a 3/4 open face, with full face shield, for what I think is a very good reason - peripheral vision.  A full face does, no doubt, offer more protect to the face, jaws, teeth, etc. if you have an accident.

But I find that I see lots more with my 3/4 - deer at the side of the road, cars coming into an intersection a lot sooner, etc.

As a former fighter pilot, there is a good reason we all wear 3/4 helemts in that world - to see better all of the way around us.

In the car racing world, where all are going the same direction, full face is mandatory, as the risks aren't great of not seeing something dangerous peripherally - the risk is there, just not too great.

But on the road on a motorcyle, I balance the two risks, and they come up in favor of better peripheral vision.

Just one old guy's opinion.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/12/11 at 12:24:38

I agree w/ Jerry on the vision. I wonder if there isnt  way to design a full coverage helmet with  bigger "window" & still have a structure that would protect the jaw..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #23 - 05/12/11 at 12:31:27

Ive always kind of wondered why they didnt make a helmet like a 3/4 with just a chin bar. Not close up the opening more like most full face seem to do.
Yeah i know it wouldnt be as strong structuraly as a full face but it would still be Better then just a plain 3/4.
One reason i like the 3/4 is vision and air flow. That is untill one of them armoured beetles decides to take aim at my chin...lol
Had one leave a small welt at the base of the neck monday. Angry
Then decided to crawl into the neck of my shirt. Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 05/12/11 at 13:29:41

You can't find snap-on chinbars in your area? Oh, wait, they stopped making them in the 70s. They fit 5 snap 3/4 shell street helmets. I know 2 shops in Washington where you can still get them, but I wouldn't trust them...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 05/12/11 at 15:15:25

... the thing with a snap-on chinbar is,... they snap-off... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #26 - 05/13/11 at 00:41:29

To bad they dont make a lower face guard like on football helmets for bikes.
3/4 helmet with a face guard the visor snaps down over. Kinda like some riot helmets ive seen. Still get the visibility and wind in your face but with a bit more protection then a normal 3/4 to keep your face out of the asphalt.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:06:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › No Class.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.