Send Topic Print
The Project: Phase 3 (Read 3025 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
The Project: Phase 3
04/30/11 at 10:32:39

So,  at the end of the Phase 2 thread, some of the Ryca parts had been delivered.

Soon after, I took the battery box, seat plate, gauge brackets and taillight bracket to the powdercoater. He's backed up, so it will be a while before he can get to it.

Last night I took the tank to my painter buddy and discussed what needed to be done and how I'd like to be as involved as possible. There are some dings to fill where the PO let the badly positioned windscreen mounting hardware hit the tank. And another ding was from a fall. These are no big deal, just standard bodywork.

The bigger deal is replacing the whole gas cap with a standard old, twist on/off, non-locking cap.

I'm doing this because I don't like the stock cap, and I don't need a lock. I originally thought about a flush cap, but after looking at them, the openings were smaller than I want. I like to be able to watch the gas level when I fill up. So the first step is to remove the stock filler neck then weld in the new one and pressure test it. That will happen when we can arrange a time when the two of us and his friend with the TIG welder are available. I will document the process.

Later today, another friend is coming over to help me put the engine temporarily in the frame so I can test fit the chain drive/swingarm/rearset bracket clearance. I will document that, too.

Meanwhile, I have some homemade tacos to eat.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The Project: Phase 3
Reply #1 - 04/30/11 at 10:43:18

How much more gas does hat tank hold?

I am agreeing with you on the gas cap. I like what you got,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 04/30/11 at 11:03:30

It holds less gas since about an inch of the bottom was cut off and the tunnel moved up.

I don't know the exact volume. But this bike will just be for scooting around town, not long rides.

« Last Edit: 04/30/11 at 18:19:44 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/30/11 at 13:35:40

I saw it as wider, since it looked shorter,, I didnt realiz, it looks a bit shorter, cuz it IS!,,, Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 04/30/11 at 13:52:12

My friend, Doug, rode over on his Bonneville to be a second set of hands in getting the engine back in the frame.

I have a 17 tooth sprocket in front and a 43 tooth in the rear—for  now. With the suspension at full extension (no load) the chain just kisses the swingarm at the weld bead. Meanwhile, there's about a chain thickness between the chain and the bottom of the rearset mount (maybe less with the chain properly tightened). UPDATE: With the chain tightened, the chain no longer touches the swingarm. There's about a 1/16" gap. Chain slap might make it touch once in a while. Meanwhile, the gap between the chain and rearset mount is reduced to about 1/4", meaning the notch will be very necessary.

With a load on the bike, the chain wouldn't touch the swingarm but would probably touch the rearset mount. So my plan is to notch the rearset mount and grind a bit off the swingarm. I might also go up to an 18 tooth front sprocket with a 45 in the rear.

Oh, and this is with my 12.5" YSS shocks. Your results may vary with different shocks.

« Last Edit: 05/01/11 at 07:09:01 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/30/11 at 15:51:39

I sure hate to do work twice, or work that didn't need to be done.
I'd get the rest of it built up and see how it goes.

WWW   IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/11 at 12:59:05

thanks for the photos. this is good to know!

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 05/02/11 at 16:32:34

Some work with my angle grinder and a file and I have a notch in the rearset bracket for chain clearance.

The clearance you see is with the swingarm pivoted up equal to the travel distance of the shock, as shown here.

I added a little extra room for chain slap. I'll box it in, with the filler pieces recessed into the cut to preserve the same amount of clearance. Even without the boxing, I think there's still plenty of meat left in that section of the bracket.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/02/11 at 17:20:21

this looks great and appears all that is really needed to fix the issue

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 05/02/11 at 17:44:07

While fiddling around with the stuff above, I discovered an additional place to squeeze in a second horn (because two horns of different pitches are irritating and get attention better). It's the space where the stock exhaust bracket/emissions canister/jacking point thing would be. Part of the Ryca rearset bracket passes through that area. As long as I'm welding up the notch I made, I could weld a tab onto the bar and drill a hole for the horn. In fact, I might be able to fit both horns down there. If not, the other can go in the tail section. If you still have the stock exhaust bracket and don't have the emissions canister, you could just drill a hole in it. It would look better than that thing hanging on the front.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/02/11 at 21:48:00

just a thought....while you've got everything apart you might ought to drill and tap a hole for a grease fitting on the swingarm. After finding my swingarm bent and the bearings pretty much seized I dont intend to 'uck with them again. Same goes for the stem.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 05/03/11 at 04:40:15

I'm trying to remember the details of an XS650 build where the guy installed a grease zerk on the steering head. I think he added something like a PVC sleeve on the spindle to reduce the volume of grease needed to fill the head.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #12 - 05/05/11 at 22:41:29

Got a call just before I left for Mexico. The first load of powdercoating that was supposed to take 1.5 weeks are done already. But the guy is a couple of cities over, so it'll have to wait until I get back. Then I'll drop off the frame.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/06/11 at 01:28:07

MotoBuddha wrote on 05/05/11 at 22:41:29:
Got a call just before I left for Mexico. The first load of powdercoating that was supposed to take 1.5 weeks are done already. But the guy is a couple of cities over, so it'll have to wait until I get back. Then I'll drop off the frame.

what body work did you do to the swing arm?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #14 - 05/07/11 at 14:17:52

Cut off and/or ground down the unneeded tabs for the belt guards, etc. I'm still going to take a little off the left pivot for chain clearance.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 10:55:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 3

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.