Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
carb mixture adjust screw (Read 235 times)
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
carb mixture adjust screw
06/30/11 at 14:44:59

Had a brain freeze. I know I ask this before, but just can't remember. When I turn the mixture screw into the body am I leaning the mixture or causing the fuel mixture to become richer. Thanks for helping an old guy stimulate his memory organ.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: carb mixture adjust screw
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 14:48:34

Leaning

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #2 - 06/30/11 at 15:31:46

Bill thank you for the help.

IP Logged
mattnovy82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/30/11 at 16:01:42

does rich or lean fuel/air mixture make your pipes blue??

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #4 - 06/30/11 at 16:18:22

mattnovy82 wrote on 06/30/11 at 16:01:42:

nope, they're generally pretty happy.

Wink

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/30/11 at 16:20:32

mattnovy82 wrote on 06/30/11 at 16:01:42:

Yes...

Either,...
...a bad running, stumbly idling, engine will blue your pipes... so will a lot of other things...
Excessive idling,.. riding in different elevations,.. traffic,.. hot weather...

It's not so much a lean idle as lean in other areas that'll do it most...
Just plain idling is more the problem with an air cooled engine... They don't get the air that way,.. and that makes them hot... heat makes pipes blue...
Mine are as blue as you can get... Grin...
...and I'm not running lean...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/30/11 at 16:34:27

Then I wonder how to read mine: No discoloration, and I ride fast. Often superslab, like the other day it was 100+ degrees and I ran her WOT for 30 miles straight. And I do that often.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/30/11 at 16:42:20

I think your pipe bluer is broken... Grin...

Seriously,..  I'm not saying blue pipes are a good thing...
It is an indication of heat, and too much heat too often is not good,...
I'm just pointing out that a perfect running bike, under the right conditions, will blue the pipe , and it doesn't mean anything is wrong, or that anything needs to be fixed...
It just means that it got hot...
... and once it's blue,.. it won't go away, until you remove it with some blue removing product..... changing jetting won't do it...
Just like blue a pan on the stove.... when you turn the stove off, the discoloration of the pan doesn't go away...

... and... it's not a good way to judge how your engine is running,.. unless the blueing is noticed as a part of a change in the engines performance...

No blue means your engine is never getting hot enough to make chrome turn blue... that's really good,...
I've never seen a Savage here in Tucson that didn't have blue pipes...
Only triple walled, cruiser pipes survive here without blue...
... or bikes that are hardly ridden...

Mine actually went the blue black color that it is,... when the petcock failed, immediately after I bought it (used 3k miles)...
So,... it blued from being rich... terribly rich...
I just never cleaned it off,... 'cause I like it ... Wink...

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 06/30/11 at 20:58:22

There IS a little hint of discoloration on the connection of the header to the muffler, on the muffler bottom, but NONE on the header itself. So I guess I got this machine running just about right. Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/30/11 at 22:49:03

Absolutely...  and do you live in a location that's pretty flat and humid?...
That keeps temperatures and air densities more consistent...

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 07/01/11 at 10:24:16

Serowbot wrote on 06/30/11 at 22:49:03:
Absolutely...  and do you live in a location that's pretty flat and humid?...
That keeps temperatures and air densities more consistent...

SE Oklahoma, hot and humid right now, humidity high in general. 800ft elevation, open air box, stock filter 150 main jet, stock 52.5 pilot, 2/3 washer, stock muffler w/ baffle removed, mixture screw 2 1/4 turns out, 15,500 miles, Rotella 5W-40 synthetic oil, occasional poof on shutdown, occasional afterfire. She still pulls very hard, despite the mileage. The washer mod made a heck of a difference in the mid-range, and opening the airbox demanded a 150 main jet, and after that, she runs better than ever. Especially in the higher RPM range at WOT there is a significant performance plus now. The removed baffle may have cut a little low end torque, but there is still plenty. But the gain in the high end is made it fun for me. She revs now like there's no tomorrow.  Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/01/11 at 11:52:23

ralfyguy wrote on 06/30/11 at 16:34:27:
Then I wonder how to read mine: No discoloration, and I ride fast. Often superslab, like the other day it was 100+ degrees and I ran her WOT for 30 miles straight. And I do that often.

I wouldn't bragg about doing that if I were you. And if you ever post here complaining about a burnt piston or an exhaust valve that melted and went out the exhaust pipe, guess what I'll tell you ?
There is no 4 stroke engine in existence (even water cooled) that is designed to take that kind of WOT abuse for 30 minutes straight,..... its just a matter of time for the engine to fail. At WOT, zero manifold vacuum, the combustion chamber temps are "white hot"

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/01/11 at 12:00:20

Routy, would you mind expanding on that a bit? I dont understand the Zero Vacuum part being a danger. If you could educate me in tht area, Id thank you.
I wouldnt run mine that long Wide Open,, but for other reasons,, Fear is the first on the list.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 07/01/11 at 12:01:55

Routy wrote on 07/01/11 at 11:52:23:
ralfyguy wrote on 06/30/11 at 16:34:27:

I wouldn't bragg about doing that if I were you. And if you ever post here complaining about a burnt piston or an exhaust valve that melted and went out the exhaust pipe, guess what I'll tell you ?
There is no 4 stroke engine in existence (even water cooled) that is designed to take that kind of WOT abuse for 30 minutes straight,..... its just a matter of time for the engine to fail. At WOT, zero manifold vacuum, the combustion chamber temps are "white hot"

Ok

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 07/01/11 at 18:43:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/01/11 at 12:00:20:
Routy, would you mind expanding on that a bit? I dont understand the Zero Vacuum part being a danger. If you could educate me in tht area, Id thank you.
I wouldnt run mine that long Wide Open,, but for other reasons,, Fear is the first on the list.

Jog,
What can I expand on,....except that at 75 mph I've seized pistons in motorcycles going into a strong headwind, and burnt valves in v-8s that were working hard.... running at near zero manifold vacuum (I'm kind of a vacuum gauge nut)
What does manifold vacuum have to do w/ it,....not real sure, except that I know that if you back off WOT till you see at least 5 inches on a vacuum gauge, you are perdy safe as far as not having a meltdown.
Somewhere it is known that combustion chamber temperatures runs less than 1/2 w/ 3 - 5 inches vacuum as w/ zero. A vacuum gauge is a good dash instrument for telling how hard an engine is working......as well as telling how to atain better mpg. But a vacuum gauge does not work well on a single cylinder like the ls650.
Also, if you're gonna run an engine WOT for very long, thats when jetting becomes very important, and better not be running to hot a plug either, because when the tip melts off that plug, it can really raise hell w/ the piston !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/14/24 at 03:56:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb mixture adjust screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.