Send Topic Print
Will Not Idle (Read 153 times)
UndefinedHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Will Not Idle
04/18/11 at 12:19:26

Hey everyone, I've trolled here for a while, but finally have something I can't figure out on my own.  

The long and short of it is; My bike starts and runs, idles fine at first, and everything is fine and dandy.

However, after riding for a few minutes, it starts squirting fuel from the top left side of the carburetor drain pipe.  I assume this is it flooding for some reason.  When it does this, it will not idle and tries to shut off on me when I stop.  Any help as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Will Not Idle
Reply #1 - 04/18/11 at 12:50:16

How to check your petcock,...

...it's either that,.. or a stuck float or dirty float needle/seat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/18/11 at 13:59:15

UndefinedHero wrote on 04/18/11 at 12:19:26:
My bike starts and runs, idles fine at first, and everything is fine and dandy.

This would seem to rule out the petcock, doesn't hurt to check though.

Quote:
However, after riding for a few minutes, it starts squirting fuel from the top left side of the carburetor drain pipe.  I assume this is it flooding for some reason.  When it does this, it will not idle and tries to shut off on me when I stop.  Any help as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Those aren't supposed to be drain pipes, they are vent tubes.  Are they tucked up high as they'll go?  There's an opening in the top frame tube for them.
Could be sticky float or float valve.  I know you got one hand busy twisting a grip, throw it in neutral, take screwdriver and rap the carb bowl with it.  But I can't comprehend why this would work better than a thumping engine   Huh  A little seafoam in the tank may help.  But you may have to pull the carb and clean it or replace the valve.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 04/19/11 at 04:56:24

Yes, sounds like a sticking float needle... or leaky floats.

In case you don't know how this works, gas enters the carb through a valve. To keep the carb from getting too much gas, there's a needle that looks like a tiny, stubby pencil that closes the opening. It's pushed closed and allowed to open by the floats inside the bowl on the bottom of the carb. The incoming gas makes them float up and press the needle closed. Fuel deposits can make the needle stick. Then, when you're riding along, you burn the gas up as fast as it flows into the carb, but with the needle stuck open, you can't burn gas fast enough at idle, so the carb floods and gas comes out the float bowl vent tubes.

Or, less likely, crap in the fuel could have corroded one or both of the floats so they don't float high enough to close the needle.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
UndefinedHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/25/11 at 18:36:22

Well, apparently it fixed itself because it runs fine now. . .  And I don't know why anything in the carb would be sticking, as I just took it apart and cleaned it less than a month ago.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 04/26/11 at 11:45:24

UndefinedHero wrote on 04/25/11 at 18:36:22:
Well, apparently it fixed itself because it runs fine now. . .  And I don't know why anything in the carb would be sticking, as I just took it apart and cleaned it less than a month ago.

Sounds like when you cleaned it you may not have gotten ALL of the trash out and a little bit was sticking the needle until it worked its way clear.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
UndefinedHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/07/11 at 05:05:39

Well it didn't fix itself, unfortunately.  It's still doing it.  Just didn't do it for a few days.  I'm not entirely sure, but I know whenever I'm cruising at a speed in which the throttle is held back a good bit and I let go of it to stop, that's when it bogs down.  However, if I slowly release the throttle, I don't have that problem

IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - 05/07/11 at 05:47:47

Not to insult intelligence BUT

on my 500 I had to drill out the float bowl screws to install some allen head screws just like the young savage.

After assembly the bike ran great for a few weeks and tanks of gas.
On day leaving autozone I pulled out into a 6 lane road and it just DIED, I ALMOST just died cause the light turned green and cars were coming FAST.

story short I limped my stalling and sputtering bike about 10 miles home, got the carb off and imagine my  Angry when I removed the floats and needles. There was the slightest metal shaving keeping the needle from closing when the bowls got full.

I also just cleaned my carbs this week. TWICE. first time I only removed the float bowl cleaned it and put it back just to have the bike stall and die with any movement of the throttle. second time cleaned everything well enough to pass state indirection so I can drag that sucker to cali EXCEPT the float needle because I couldn't get the screw off without damaging it. I'm sure I will pay for that later hopefully not in the middle of traffic.

good luck. clean again, check it all again

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 16:20:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will Not Idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.