Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1986 Savage, won't crank over (Read 101 times)
Daved144
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1986 Savage, won't crank over
05/06/11 at 14:37:17

I have my key situation fixed. Now I got a good batterey fully charged but the engine won't even start to crank over. I tried with the kickstand up, down and with the clutch pulled in and out . The lights are on and bright. I have never had a Savage before but never had such a challenging motorcycle to get started. I was told the bike ran when it was parked 6-7 years ago. Is there any certain relay or something on Savages that are problematic I should look at first / Thanks for any help. The weather is getting nicer and I would like to start riding again.

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 1986 Savage, won't crank over
Reply #1 - 05/06/11 at 14:50:01

does it make any noise and clunks when you press the start button? or nothing at all?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/06/11 at 15:02:36

yes if nothing else you should hear two clunks, 1st is when the decomps kicks in and the second when the starter relay goes.

No clunks, check the starter button and ground strap next to oil level window.
1 clunk, starter relay might be stuck, rap the fender next to the ig switch with a plastic screwdriver handle.
2 clunks, a quick jumper cable from the positve post to the starter post will confirm the starter is ok.  if it won't go, check if the engine will turn with a wrench in the timing port.

let us know what you find.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/06/11 at 15:30:36

May seem silly, but don't forget to check the kill switch next to the throttle (easy to miss)  Roll Eyes

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Daved144
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/06/11 at 15:34:17

Thanks for the fast responses. It makes no clicks or anything at all. I am hoping to work on the bike Sunday. I have my kids until Saturday night so I won't have undivided time to devote to the bike until Sunday. I was thinking about checking the starter some way , bypassing the electrical system.

IP Logged
Daved144
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/06/11 at 16:46:33

I took a cou[ple of minutes and ran a cable from the positive post on the batterey down to the post on the starter and it turns the starter over, so the starter works. Maybe the solenoid is bad.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/06/11 at 16:50:28

Daved144 wrote on 05/06/11 at 15:34:17:
Thanks for the fast responses. It makes no clicks or anything at all. I am hoping to work on the bike Sunday. I have my kids until Saturday night so I won't have undivided time to devote to the bike until Sunday. I was thinking about checking the starter some way , bypassing the electrical system.

9 times out 10 it's been the starter button, take it apart, clean it.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 05/06/11 at 18:59:57

An aggravating but simple problem to look for is under the gas tank. Check all the connections there by pulling apart and plugging back. Plus those under the seat. There are fuses there, but I've never bothered to find mine. I like doing stuff like that with lightning for back light and lots of rain. I f you get this bike running you will say it's the simplest, most fun bike you've ever been on. I promise.   Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:03:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1986 Savage, won't crank over

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.