Other goodies for S40 (Read 235 times)
airforcewife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Other goodies for S40
04/02/11 at 07:28:18

Hey all again!
I've added another post about some more items I'm looking to outfit the wife's bike with.
After much searching I'm amazed at how little there is that fits this great bike compared to my VStrom.
We are looking to add the following major items:
Sissy bars
Luggage rack
Engine Guards/Highway bars
I've typed in all the above items in search engines and have gone on SEVERAL different retailer sites that list these items saying they fit the S40, but the sites usually state something like "check for fit on your specific bike". I then go to the manufacturers site and they state that the specific item I am looking for won't fit the S40 Angry
I was just going to go the easy route and buy the highway bars and sissy bar/luggage rack from the suzuki dealer as I know they will fit. The wife wanted this hard rear case for the bike, so I ordered one from ridebikegear.com, http://www.ridebikegear.com/tp-extra-large-motorcycle-tour-pak-with-large-top...
but it says it needs a luggage rack of at least 8"x8". Does anyone know if the stock suzuki rack is this size?
Any help would be greatly appreciated for this frustrated husband!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Other goodies for S40
Reply #1 - 04/02/11 at 11:50:40

Welcome to the fun that is modifying the Suzuki Savage/S40. There is actually very little after market support for this bike, though there are a few folks that are trying to remedy that situation. Most of us have to just make something fit or build from scratch.

However, there are many here who are more than willing to help with information and walk throughs.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/02/11 at 13:55:56

Is she going to ride double?

If not, mount the box over the rear seat.

I made a mount out of a board to fit the cavity under the box.
Made it so that it slips under the seat loop on the fender and bolts to the spot where the rectifier mounts.  The rectifier was pushed forward under the seat.  No bolts.  I had it at one time on the fender rail, but the wires were a tiny bit short and pulled out of the connectors.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 04/02/11 at 14:00:50

I've put my GIVI trunks on racks that replace the rear pillion. An S40 doesn't have the OE provisions for the sissy bar that the typical rack bolts to. Depends on the year how much is there. You can find someone on here parting out an LS650 and use those fender braces and sissy bar if you want to go that way. I think you have to drill a couple more holes in the sides of the rear fender to make that work. By putting the trunk there I get a backrest for free and move the weight more over the rear wheel rather than out back. Rack brackets in lieu of pillion can bolted to the fender braces (long chrome rails on the outside of the fender) bolts and arch over the fender leaving some clearance over the voltage regulator. If you have a one piece seat, I just build one to just clear the rear seat. If you give me an e-mail I can send pic of mine as I don't know how to put them up on here. Directions are not for a iMAC. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #4 - 04/02/11 at 15:08:31

I've got an engine guard you can have for $5 plus shipping. Came on the bike I bought for a RYCA conversion. Send me a PM for details. Just looking to find it a happy home vs the trash.

IP Logged
airforcewife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/13/11 at 10:48:05

Verslagen1That is an interesting set-up that made the wife say "Oooooh..."
She won't be riding 2 up at all and likes the look of the box over the fender. Makes it more compact than hanging way out over the rear. We did end up getting the RIDE-TPR hard rear luggage and TIDE-GA hard side bags from RIDEBIKEGEAR.com (excellent service)
We received the rear case which comes with some mounting brackets that I will have to match with the bike once we pick it up.  We are just waiting on the side cases which were originally out of stock but have now been shipped.
RIDEBIKEGEAR mentioned Ghostbrackets (also excellent service), which I ended up ordering as well. This makes it easier to remove the cases when needed. They said I will probably have to drill a couple mounting holes on the S40 side rails. I will have to workup the nerve to drill into a brand new bike!
Our bike is at the dealer still so I can't go down and look at it just yet
Questions:
1. Does the S40 have a 2 part seat so that you only removed the rear seat? Excuse my ignorance on this fact. If so, did you have to buy a new seat?
2. Can you post more pic's of your set-up?
Max-Morley, I'll PM you my email and if you can send as many pic's as possible that would be great. Wife really likes this set up. The rear case we bought comes with a backrest pad, so this setup is great.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/13/11 at 11:42:59

If it's an '09 then it's 1pc.  But I always just delt with what I got.

I would make a bracket to go over what you got.  And this is where I'm headed in the future.  2 U shaped brackets, 1/8" steel about 2" wide.  Shape it to go over the seat and nest tightly with the fender.  Use the same bolt holes as the side rails.  the front one might take a little doing cause it's forward of the rear of the seat and you don't want the bracket biting into her hiney.  Bolt their plate to the bracket and it's ready to take the box.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:58:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Other goodies for S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.