Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripped driveshaft and front pulley (2nd opinion) (Read 145 times)
MuzzleBlast
YaBB Newbies

Orlando, FL
Stripped driveshaft and front pulley (2nd opinion)
04/08/11 at 21:03:28

Re my original post from 4/3/11 about stripped gears, I got another opinion and had it re-looked at. Different mechanic agrees that the driveshaft (countershaft) is worn, not stripped.  Front pulley teeth are gone completely, but teeth on shaft are rounded on the leading (torque) edge. Teeth are square on the back edge, but the front side of each tooth looks almost like someone tried to grind it into a dull knife edge.  Mech will install front pulley (generously supplied by mpnoffi) but is afraid as soon as one tooth slips, gears will strip again and possibly instantly disable bike at an inopportune time, like making a left turn in an intersection.  Could go forever, but mech seems to think it will happen sooner than later and also recommends complete engine teardown and replacement of shaft and pulley.  Decision time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stripped driveshaft and front pulley (2nd opin
Reply #1 - 04/08/11 at 21:56:56

Install with JB weld as someone else had done.
Torque it up good and check every so often and it'll last forever.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/08/11 at 22:22:36

it wouldnt be worth your time or effort to replace the shaft yourself and it wouldnt be worth the money to have someone else doing it. If it really comes down to it, part out what you've got and buy a new bike. I dont think the JB weld is even needed at this point. Provide pics if possible. The splines on the shaft would have to be considerably worn to cause any real concern.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/09/11 at 01:14:42

Refinement to JB Weld trick is to apply it to a clinically clean front pulley spline/hole so it bonds completely to the pulley material (which I think is powdered metal of some sort).  JB becomes one with the pulley.

Lightly oil and wipe off the shaft splines, leaving only a film of oil to interfere with the epoxy bonding on that side.  Assemble it, wipe off the JB ooze and torque it up tight.

Now, all wear edge gaps are filled with hardened JB weld and a vague potential for disassembly still exists for down the road if needed.

Ride the piss out of it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/09/11 at 02:38:26

JB weld is the only reasonable answer here, IMO... I know thats what Id do if it was mine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/09/11 at 07:41:08

Quote:
Teeth are square on the back edge, but the front side of each tooth looks almost like (cut cut cut) a dull knife edge.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Described like this, I'd think you could be good to go a long time, if it is kept tight.

But you will be way ahead if you gain the confidence to do a job like this yourself. Buying a few tools will be dirt cheap in comparison to shop labor.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/09/11 at 09:47:59

try and she goes till she blows!
nothing to lose, just carry a cellphone and know someone to pick you up in the event it does go out unexpectedly on the road.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/09/11 at 10:02:57

I doubt that JB Weld would hold...

I wonder if it could be drilled and pinned?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/09/11 at 11:12:29

Serowbot wrote on 04/09/11 at 10:02:57:
I doubt that JB Weld would hold...

I wonder if it could be drilled and pinned?...

we have report that one member did it and it was holding.
what would I do?
put it together w/o it and torque it up tight.
if it ever fails, it will give you the same warning signs.
won't ever be sudden, in the middle of the road can't go.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 04/09/11 at 13:35:00

What do you have to loose using the JB Weld? the shaft is already worn and the JB weld will fill in the gaps and spaces. It will also prevent the pully from moving around and wearing the shaft any more. If it doesn't work you are only back to where you started with a buggered up shaft. I've epoxied clutches onto gokart shafts more than once with no problems. Not as much horse power or torque but still the same idea.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 04/09/11 at 16:31:22

The guys have it right,....if you don't hear and feel it slip a spline or 3, it ain't going to leave you stranded.
But having said that, if and when you do hear it slip a spline or 3, it is history,.....or should I say, on very short borrowed time.

Now, if you really don't trust it, and want it to last, that is easy to do,.....just don't utillize the full output torque of the motor,.......in simplier terms, stay off anything but light throttle.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #11 - 04/09/11 at 18:38:00

My first thought would be...how does the new pulley feel on the splines of the shaft?  When you slide it on, do you feel, or see any play?  I can confirm that there was none when the pulley was on my bike.  As a matter of fact, I thought that the new sprocket was the wrong size at first because it fit the shaft so tightly.   Let us know how it feels/looks.  In my opinion, this could be the best indicator of how to proceed. Huh But I would definitely go the JB weld route vs. a million dollar repair on the shaft if you find any play.
mpnoffi

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/09/11 at 18:54:41

what happens first is you'll hear and feel an odd buzz when you let off the gas and roll

jb weld or not - the enough torque is the key - it's like 90lbs or so on the nut

IP Logged
SURAZAL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ALBANY NY
Reply #13 - 04/13/11 at 11:00:47

got a pic ? several optins you could even cut some steel shims and either solder them or braze into place ... seen it done in Jamaica ... another gut just weled the front drive gear into palce but it was a steel gear on a steel shaft ... and it was still running 5 years later ... the JB weld is metal dust reinforced so able to take a little more torgue that just staright epoxy it would help stabilize movement for a certain amount of time but will not last forever ... good luck again would like to see a pic to better be able to advise

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 15:36:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped driveshaft and front pulley (2nd opinion)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.