Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine runs hot, front break drags a little (Read 206 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine runs hot, front break drags a little
03/12/11 at 16:22:20

My "new" '05 machine runs hot.  I cranked it up and left the choke on for awhile becuase it didn't want to run without it and I kept the throttle open a little to help the oil flow.  After a couple minutes I could take the choke off then I played with the throttle a little to see if it would backfire.  Then I could smell the engine getting hot and I've been around long enough to know the smell of a hot engine so I shut it down and by then the pipes had turned blue all the way down to the muffler.  There is still snow on the ground so ambient temperature isn't a factor.

It's totally stock.  There aren't any wrench marks anywhere and the brass plug is still in the carb.  After it cooled I started it again and left the choke out and it ran fine with no signs of overheating.  It must be terribly lean.  I got it from a dealer and it had probably been sitting for some time.  

I live at about 700 feet elevation and I've read the threads about it running lean and removing the plug and opening the screw and also putting in a thinner spacer and so on.  I plan to do that but this thing must be running super lean, what do you think it could be?  I'm thinking the carb might need cleaning.

Also the front brake feels like it might drag a little and it squeaks when I am pulling the bike backwards in the garage.  So far it hasn't left my garage, I want to get things right before I take it out.  Any thoughts about the front brake?  Thanks

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Engine runs hot, front break drags a little
Reply #1 - 03/12/11 at 17:06:22

They do get hot when they idle,.. Air-cooled engines aren't good at that.
Normal.

As far as brake squeal... One pad is always slightly in contact with the rotor, instead of full floating, and you will hear it without the engine running.  Also the stock pads a crap, and tend to squeal more, especially if it's a few years old, because they can get a glaze.
EBC makes replacement pads...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/12/11 at 18:19:10

Thanks Serowbot.  I'll take your word about the heat being normal, after all it lived over 2500 miles the way it is.  I'll fix that rear brake lug for the adjusting screw tomorrow and set the brake pedal height where I want it and take it for a spin if it isn't too cold.  I'll also see if the Seafoam treatment I started today has changed anything.  Maybe I can get the brass plug out and adjust the screw underneath. This forum is great and I read through some of it almost daily.  There is an incredible amount of good information and support here.  The Harley muffler post was very good.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/12/11 at 18:19:45

Going backwards is rare in m/c's.
It's just letting you know it don't like it.

Lean from the factory is normal, turning the pipes blue is hot.
Mod'ding the white spacer will help, but you'll still lean on the top end.
I can recommend a 150 to start with.
and if it's been sitting awhile, an ounce of seafoam in the tank will help clean things out.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 03/13/11 at 06:39:25

Quote:
so I shut it down and by then the pipes had turned blue all the way down to the muffler.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scary ! Sounds almost impossible
If the pipes turned blue just from idling a few minutes, did by chance someone wipe the pipe w/ something that could have caused that ?

Also, if the engine has been cleaned recently, it can have the smell of overheating.

I think its safe to say that a lean idle is not causing an overheat problem. If an idle is lean at all, it won't idle. Therefore if you have a good idle, it is not lean enough to cause overheating. And if it was lean just above an idle, it is going to surge and run ragged at lower light load speeds.
IMO, the only time you could be running lean, and not really know it, will be in the upper RPM....heavy load range, which is controled by the main jet.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/13/11 at 09:34:51

Routy wrote on 03/13/11 at 06:39:25:
did by chance someone wipe the pipe w/ something that could have caused that ?

Also, if the engine has been cleaned recently, it can have the smell of overheating. 

Good point, if it were cleaned and waxed/oiled to make it look good, the exhaust heat would burn it off and it would cause blueing.

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/13/11 at 11:42:31

I think you are right, there are traces of caked on wax or polish all over the bike so the pipes may have had something on them.  Someone did go over it to make it look good.  Maybe that stuff burning off is what made it smell so hot.  I hope it is that simple.

I was really surprised to see the whole pipe turn blue, it takes some bikes a couple years to blue 2 inches and I did it all in maybe 5 minutes!  That's why I thought I had better ask you guys about it before running it for any length of time.

It idles well.  I thought a big thumper would have a rougher idle but it is fairly smooth.  When I throttled it up about half way and let it off a few times it did a little back firing but no full bangs, nothing to excite the neighbors.  Once again, thanks for all the help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/13/11 at 12:02:54

a can of blue job and a bucket of elbow grease will set you right.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #8 - 04/10/11 at 16:47:36

jumping in at the last minute here- but can anyone tell me about how long it takes to get the engine to cool down to be cool to the touch?  went out for about an hour ride today and an hour later it was still pretty warm...cant remember if that was normal or something new?  it was 80 degrees here today also  Smiley

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/11/11 at 03:50:17

There is a big mass of alloy and steel and oil there,....I would expect it to be plenty warm after an hr yet, especially on an 80 deg day.
But I have never checked mine, or gave it any thought.....till now.
I do know that I don't ride on a 90+ day,....just too much heat coming off that mass,....even at slow speeds,....but then I don't have a reason to ride in hot weather either.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/11/11 at 06:27:06

OP Said,,,
After a couple minutes I could take the choke off then I played with the throttle a little to see if it would backfire.

Yea,, my pipe wasnt blue at a, I ha almost 5,000 miles on it & was sitting in the driveway, playing with the gas & listening to the valves. When I looked down at the pipe, it was blue for a good ways..Seriously upset me.. Racking it off sitting still Will blue a pipe.. but if someone waxed it,, then its gonna get all weird real quick.
If you buy a Supertrapp it says in the installation instructions to Clean the Manufacturing oils off Thoroughly, or it will Blue & the warranty wont cover that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/11/11 at 11:24:59

Finally got some warm weather and put some miles on my bike.  The engine temp seems OK while running, adequate torque at any throttle position.  The previous concerns were apparently the result of all the polish that was on both the engine and the exhaust.  

The bike is totally stock and it does backfire but not often.  It lit off a couple cherry bombs but no M-80s.  Even on a warm day I had to leave it choked longer than any other bike or engine I have ever owned so I assume it is a little lean.  I will fish that plug out of the carb and adjust the screw and see how it runs but not until I put on the new shocks I bought.  The ride is hard on my back so shocks have become the first priority, then the carb.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #12 - 04/11/11 at 12:16:52

The caliper rides on two posts -- numbers 5 and 7 in the diagram. The posts have flat areas to make room for grease. The small rubber boots help retain the grease and act as wipers/dust seals.

In theory, the caliper is free to slide in and out on the posts to adjust for variations in the rotor. Also, since only the outside brake pad gets pushed, there needs to be some slack in the caliper mount to allow it to squeeze and release. But the grease can get thick, so the caliper doesn't always release fully. That's part of life with this type of caliper.

Also, the piston seals might get gummy so the piston doesn't retract much when you release the brake, leaving the outside pad dragging more than usual.

So you might at least freshen the grease on the posts. Remove the caliper from the fork and pull it off the bracket. No need to  disconnect the hydraulic line. When you put it back together, make sure the ends of the boots tuck into the grooves so you don't lose grease over time and so crap doesn't get in to gum up the grease.

Cleaning or replacing the seals means taking everything apart, which is another story.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/11/11 at 12:57:36

MotoBuddha wrote on 04/11/11 at 12:16:52:
The caliper rides on two posts -- numbers 5 and 7 in the diagram. The posts have flat areas to make room for grease. The small rubber boots help retain the grease and act as wipers/dust seals.

I always forget those guys....
Next time...  I'm gonna' clean them suckers!....
Thanks, Buddha....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/11/11 at 18:23:32

Thanks for the tip on the calipers, I never thought about putting fresh grease in the grooves.  They still squeak so another item for my things to do list.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 21:52:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine runs hot, front break drags a little

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.