Tsunami (Read 226 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Tsunami
Reply #15 - 03/13/11 at 01:11:32

Unknown number of dead and thousands still missing.
Reactor count is up to 5 in trouble from the quake/tsnuami.
The one has had the evacuation zone raised to 20 kilometers.
A random sampleing of patiants in a local hospital has shown at least 3 with some amount of radiation poisoning. None worked at the nuke plants.
Their flooding one or two of the plants with sea water to try and cool them down.

Supposedly there is no risk of explosion or a Chernobyl like event....supposedly. More failsafes and their a safer cold water reactor. Or so they have said.
What will happen is the core melting down and melting through the floor and ground below and contaminateing the water supply. A 'China Syndrom'. That and possible radiation released into the atmosphere.
Either way it dont sound good.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #16 - 03/14/11 at 01:59:43

Just keeps getting worse. 6 reactors in trouble now, two with partial meltdowns supposedly.
Expecting another big quake, possibly more tsnuamis as well.
Over 10,000 dead in just one town/area. From a town of only 17,000
No idea what the total will be, even without the reactor problems.
Some incredible stories of survival as well like the guy floating on his roof 10 miles at sea for two days.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #17 - 03/14/11 at 12:35:59

Yes the man found on his roof 10 miles out was
really amazing.
It is also cold there and many don't have shelter nor
the supplies to keep warm let alone, water or food.
Really makes me count my blessings.  kim

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #18 - 03/14/11 at 18:53:23

Given Japan's geographical position relative to wind and ocean currents, the potential for reactor failure scares the heck out of me! That's the last thing they need considering all the other obstacles they're facing. Getting the relief to the population when so many ships are unwilling to dock is going to be huge!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #19 - 03/14/11 at 21:15:08

Yeah they moved the USS Reagan yesterday because of a radioactive plume. Several copters then the ship itself picked up some slight radiation.
Their out of body bags and had food supplies for about 10% of those needing them they said today.
Their estimateing well over 10,000 deaths at least. Something on the order of another 1,000 bodies washed up on the beach again today.
And they still havent found those 4 passanger trains.

The threat to us from radiation is slim to non-exsistant. The main concern is a china syndrom where the core melts down and melts through the containment vessal and down into the water supply. That and long term exposure in the area leading to cancers and such.
People are still dieing today from the hiroshima bomb in Japan.
You know being the only country to ever be nuked they must have a real fear of what radiation poisoning can do.
And their STILL forecasting another major quake, possibly larger then the first one. Too many after shocks going on and too strong.
They have had several over 7.0 as after shocks. One yesterday was a 7.4

Cleanups going to be a long painfull expensive process. And something they havent talked about yet is disease. Typhyoid, cholera and no telling what else from all the trash and bodies buried in the mud. 16 feet deep in places. Not to mention the farmland it covers and how its not going to be good for anything for many many years to come. Foods going to be even more of a problem for the japanese people.
I have to wonder how their fishing fleet held up as well. Due to the lack of farmland the ocean has always been a major part of their food chain.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 08:52:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tsunami

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.