babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Tsunami
03/11/11 at 08:45:13

Hoping and praying that all our folks in the tsunami's path are safe.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tsunami
Reply #1 - 03/11/11 at 08:50:37

...been a heck of a year for a lot of people, hasn't it?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 03/11/11 at 09:17:32

this and all other problems of late ,could have nothing to do with climate change..

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 03/11/11 at 10:12:16

So far here just warnings. Some schools are running late or in some areas have been cancelled.
I can't speak for the water front in Seattle, as I don't live in Seattle itself. Their has been no news of anything unusual there.
My heart and prayers goes out to all in Japan.

I wonder about SavageWahine and Phelonius? Anyone hear from them since this hit? Hawaii had some large waves and they may have had to seek higher ground themselves.

To have such devestation as well as many lives lost and missing makes it very rough on these people.  kim

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 03/11/11 at 12:16:52

A co-worker is currently vacationing in Hawaii ... rec'd an email from him not 1/2 hr ago. Him and his wife are on Maui and had to head to higher ground when tsunami warning was given ... they slept in their rental car last night, but are otherwise OK.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #5 - 03/11/11 at 12:50:18

Watched it this mornnig live as it was happening. Folks in hawaii seemed rather non-challant about it as they gassed up or bought groceries.
Lot different then watching people in sendai trying to outrun the wave in their cars untill they got stopped then trying to outrun it on foot.
Seen a couple of folks get stopped then get out and just stand there and watch it roll over them while others ran across the fields.
Wave just looked Evil as it got darker and darker after it rolled slowly  over the coast in sendai.
Did'nt happen in a flash like most would think. It just rolled over everything in its path at about 15 mph or so. Folks in its path had pleanty of time to know what was happening to them. Fast enough to make it hard to get away but slow enough to be terrifying.
Looked more like a wall of mud then a wall of water, just black and evil and full of debris.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #6 - 03/11/11 at 16:52:22

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 03/11/11 at 19:57:59

My concern now is the nuclear reactors that have lost cooling pumps. If you have ever studied Chernobyl and its after effects it's a scary scenario. The 1,000 deaths they are now predicting would be a drop in the bucket. Praying for the reactors to hold.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #8 - 03/12/11 at 01:15:02

U.S. planes were flying in coolant for the reactors to try and keep them under control. They said this evening they had lost control of two of them and high amounts of radiation was leaking out. Evacuation area had been raised to 5 miles around one of them. The one their really worried about would make chernobyl look minor. South of sendai and 150 miles north of tokyo. Could affect on the order of 45 million people let alone poisoning the ocean and countryside.

Keep in mind japan relies on the ocean for a MAJOR part of their food supply. That and rice. Most of the farmland is along the coast, that which was hardest hit. Whole villages/towns wiped away along the coast. Death toll could reach into the 10's of thousands supposedly.
Their still looking for one passanger train they lost contact with near sendai and a ship with around 100 washed out to sea.
Massive uncontrolable fires to boot.

Their economy was in trouble already. This is really going to put the hurt on them. Its going to hurt us/ours as well. Look or certain foodstufs and autos/bikes prices to take a big leap. If you can get them.
Theres also a good chance its not over yet. More tsnuamis(the waves kind of bounce back and forth between land masses) and possibly more quakes.
Supposedly the eurasian plate slid 50 feet under the pacific plate. The whole island of Japan moved 15 feet farther east as well.
The Japan earthquake was supposedly a 1000 times stronger then the hatii or chilie quakes. Somewhere between an 8.8 and a 9.1

Just imagine what it might of been like if Japan did'nt have strict building codes since 1981.
Elastic like concrete, buildings built on giant springs and even rollers. The death toll from the quake itself would be massive. Only time will tell how many the tsnuami got and what might come from the reactors if they fail. Your hearts got to go out to them. :'(

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 03/12/11 at 05:38:45

If the earth's axis shifted 25 cm, why would we not feel something?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 03/12/11 at 10:15:03

Had'nt heard about the axis shifting. But they have said when the earthquake was happening seismographs all over the country(ours) were showing it.
The evacuation zone around the one reactor(the one that has now had an explosion) was raised to 15 miles. Supposedly we're not getting the whole story either.

One site last night said they had lost track/contact with 4 trains, not just one. Mud 16 feet thick in some places. They still havent found the one ship washed out to sea with around 100 shipyard workers on it.
Fires unreachable and unfightable and they still havent gotten into the hardest hit areas. Some 800+ aftershocks, some big some small and a threat of more tsnuamis.

Ever notice how things have been getting progressively worse the last 3 or 4 years. More and larger quakes, tsunamis, volcanoes becomeing more active, more tornadoes and tornadoes where and when they usualy dont show up not to mention more flooding?
Mother Nature is really pitching a fit. Whats the next year going to bring??

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 03/12/11 at 11:52:16

My heart aches for all these people. For ones who haven't
been able to find out even if their loved ones survived, this
catastrophe is heart breaking.
Yes the devestation will be felt for a long time.
It does worry me about the reactors as well. I wonderd
how much of the real story they were letting out?
Reminds us all how fast life can be altered.
I will continue to keep them all in my prayers. kim

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #12 - 03/12/11 at 15:20:46

Japan ground cracking open and moving video - March 11th 2011

http://video.godlikeproductions.com/video/Japan_ground_cracking_open_and_movi...

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 03/12/11 at 18:27:03

Correct me if I'm wrong (As if you wouldn't), but I think earthquakes are measured exponentially. A 5 on the Richter Scale is ten times stronger than a 4, so every change in number value is a great change in power. Isn't that right? 

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/12/11 at 22:49:13

that's right boofer.

WWW   IP Logged