PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Savage Waste!!
Reply #15 - 03/05/11 at 02:09:09

That color is freakin' SICK!!! I LOVE it!!! When she's done, please be sure to post up a couple of really good pics (for those of us who scab such pics for our own private Savage collections! Wink)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #16 - 03/05/11 at 07:48:51

thanks all!! Im getting motor work done so it will be about 2 weeks or so! BUT I have to wait at least 30 days as it has been said to put the BIO HAZ on!! dam thing is huge so NOT sure how its goin to fit!!  Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/05/11 at 11:00:34

Cut a piece of paper the same size & see how it works on the various curves. Paper is a littl rough, so be gentle. Or, find somethng about the same "feel" as the decal.. That way you dont risk messing up your nice decal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 03/06/11 at 10:21:50

Look what I found!

Well, kinda..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603094

Installing new graphics dry
Most people like to get new graphics, but hate to put them on. I, on the other hand love putting on graphics. It truly is an artform. There are a couple different ways to put graphics on, and they each work well when done correctly. I am going to show you the way I put them on. Many people will say that the windex or soapy water trick is the best. This works well to put them on, but I have found that the graphics do not stick as well using this method. The thing that screws most people up is that graphics can be stretched and compressed where needed. This is very useful when you use these properties to your advantage.

After a year of use my old graphics were starting to get a little beat looking, so I decided it was time for some new ones.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010004.jpg Views: 906 Size: 107.4 KB ID: 7165

It is best to use new plastic, but sometimes it isn't worth replacing your old plastic. Such was the case for me here. First I remove the old graphics by heating them with a heatgun and pulling them off slowly. This way very little glue residue is left on the plastics.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010006.jpg Views: 585 Size: 96.9 KB ID: 7166

There is still a little glue and dirt left on the plastic after removal of the old graphics. This must all be removed.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010007.jpg Views: 527 Size: 88.3 KB ID: 7167

I like to use contact cleaner to get the glue off. Be warned, contact cleaner tends to take the shine out of plastic so don't use it where graphics will not cover. I then clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol to get it as clean as possible.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010008.jpg Views: 424 Size: 97.5 KB ID: 7168

I then hold up the graphic to the plastic to see how everything is going to line up.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010009.jpg Views: 680 Size: 104.6 KB ID: 7169

I heat up the graphic and the plastic a little with a heat gun before I begin. Keeping the graphic a little warm is the key to working with it. I start from a point that is easy to line everything up, and I keep checking to make sure that the other holes line up. I only peel a little backing at a time and I work with my thumbs primarily from the center out to prevent any bubbles.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010010.jpg Views: 974 Size: 104.7 KB ID: 7170

As I work my way up the shroud, I keep an eye out for bubbles. If one appears, slowly pull the graphic back as soon as you see the bubble and push it out. I only lay down the graphic on the flat parts of the shroud, I will attend to the curves later.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010011.jpg Views: 675 Size: 100.4 KB ID: 7171

As you go along towards a hole you can direct the graphic in the direction you want it to go. This is done by pulling on one side and pushing out any wrinkles on the opposite side. For example if the graphic is starting to go too far towards the top of the shoud, I will try to stretch the top and compress the bottom to steer it back down. This is much easier with a warm graphic.

Once all the flat parts are layed out, heat up the curves and begin to push them down from the center out.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010013.jpg Views: 738 Size: 104.5 KB ID: 7172

Most people end up with wrinkles at the top front corner of the shroud. This is where working and compressing the graphic is key. The only way to perfect it is with practice. Never allow a wrinkle to fold over onto itself so that two sticky sides touch. This is almost impossible to fix once it happens. Always push any creases out flat as they form from the point out towards the edge of the graphic.

When you are done heat the entire graphic while pressing on it. Heat and pressure at the key to getting graphics to stick. As you heat you may notice a couple small bubbles appearing. This is because the air in the bubble expands making it bigger as you heat it. You can poke it with a pin and then push the air out while it is warm. If you can, poke the pin on a border where two colors meet, this makes the mark invisible. If you can't it is no big deal because the mark will be absolutely tiny (much better than having a bubble).

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010016.jpg Views: 634 Size: 93.2 KB ID: 7173

It is best if you can hit the graphics with some heat and pressure every couple hours for a day or two before riding. Remember, it takes over 24 hours for graphic glue to bond, and the longer heat and pressure is applied during bonding, the stronger the bond will be.

If you do everything right, it will be wrinkle and bubble free like mine:

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07010001.jpg Views: 857 Size: 99.3 KB ID: 7174

If you want your old dingy seat cover to be bright again, hit it with some windex and scrub it with a toothbrush, then wipe it off. This always works for me to get back that original brightness without making it slippery.

Click image for larger version Name: 2007_07130009.jpg Views: 1648 Size: 101.3 KB ID: 7175

And now you are all done. Now you can sit back and admire your work for a minute. Good luck, and take your time.

Article Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page

Featured Articles
Knee Injuries and the Use of Prophylactic Knee Bracing in Off-Road Motorcycling

Closed Article

« Previous Article | Next Article »

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 03/06/11 at 13:15:23

I like it,almost like a Kawasaki Ninja green,very nice ,what color is the frame ? black would look nice.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 03/06/11 at 14:21:38

What is the piece between the tank and the rear fender?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #21 - 03/08/11 at 07:06:10

arteacher wrote on 03/06/11 at 14:21:38:
What is the piece between the tank and the rear fender?

That goes under the seat and covers all the stuff under there. He has a different seat.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #22 - 03/08/11 at 11:08:23

MICK! the frame is still black!!  Im lookin at getting the wheels done too! just not sure what color yet!! may go yellow or green as well!

odmanout! ya what he said! instead of goin with forward controls, I moved the seat back and had that part made!! one of them WTH was I thinking things but it works!

Justin!! Thanks I will read that!!   Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #23 - 03/08/11 at 16:36:29

Its the primered piece under the seat there.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 03/08/11 at 18:00:33

Thats gonna look slick.

Is that the scenery from Close Encounters?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #25 - 03/08/11 at 18:05:59

Crap yes it is, Richard Dreyfus where are you?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #26 - 03/08/11 at 20:28:34

Devil's Tower in Wyoming....... Legend is actually about a bear.

They do have a bunch of stuff there about Aliens and stuff as well.

« Last Edit: 03/09/11 at 07:48:05 by Savage_Amusement »  

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #27 - 03/09/11 at 00:55:09

Very Cool pic! Recognized Devil's Tower from CEOTK right away! You're gonna have to repeat that shot with Bio-Haz when she's done! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #28 - 03/09/11 at 12:46:53

PerrydaSavage wrote on 03/09/11 at 00:55:09:
Very Cool pic! Recognized Devil's Tower from CEOTK right away! You're gonna have to repeat that shot with Bio-Haz when she's done! Cool

ya taking it up there this year!! hope i can find that spot again but im sure you go right by it!!  Smiley

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #29 - 03/09/11 at 20:56:08

Tincanman, I love the color.. It is a great choice.
When you get ready to add the decal, may I
suggest you take your time. Have someone
possibly help you.
I can't wait to see it when you get it finished..
Great job so far.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:46:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Waste!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.