Valentines thread... (Read 179 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Valentines thread...
Reply #15 - 02/14/11 at 09:10:09

[quote author=2C28222A3529242D282C2438410 link=1297619751/0#9 date=1297657396]thumperclone wrote on 02/13/11 at 18:53:57:
mick wrote on 02/13/11 at 16:34:24:
Valentines is one big holiday made up by hallmark.

isnt it "Saint Valentine"
    not hallmark
same with St. Patricks day

St Valentine day is a bit of a mystery there were three St valentines,all lived about a thousand years ago,strange that all became saints,and all on Feb 14th.
St Patrics day is a day of prayer in Ireland,Americans turned it into a drinking day, BTW St Patric was an Englishman,not Irish.

St. Valentine:
Saint Valentine (in Latin, Valentinus) is the name of several (14 in all) martyred saints of ancient Rome. The name "Valentine", derived from valens (worthy, strong, powerful), was popular in Late Antiquity.[2] Of the Saint Valentine whose feast is on February 14, nothing is known except his name and that he was buried at the Via Flaminia north of Rome on February 14. It is even uncertain whether the feast of that day celebrates only one saint or more saints of the same name. For this reason this liturgical commemoration was not kept in the Catholic calendar of saints for universal liturgical veneration as revised in 1969.[3] But "Martyr Valentinus the Presbyter and those with him at Rome" remains in the list of saints proposed for veneration by all Catholics.
The first representation of Saint Valentine appeared in the Nuremberg Chronicle (1493); alongside the woodcut portrait of Valentine, the text states that he was a Roman priest martyred during the reign of Claudius II, known as Claudius Gothicus. He was arrested and imprisoned upon being caught marrying Christian couples and otherwise aiding Christians who were at the time being persecuted by Claudius in Rome. Helping Christians at this time was considered a crime. Claudius took a liking to this prisoner – until Valentinus tried to convert the Emperor – whereupon this priest was condemned to death.

Source, Wikipedia.org

Incidentally, the origin of my own patron saint, St. Mauritius, is very similar.

Kiss

As for St.Patrick, Mick is correct, Patrick was an English boy seized by pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/14/11 at 13:05:48

valentine's day is always rough for me . . .  but not as rough as those treads would be . . .

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #17 - 02/14/11 at 13:35:40

Hate the day! I'm a floral designer!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #18 - 02/14/11 at 16:03:26

there is no such thing(imo)as a saint we all crap between our shoes..
dont get me started on heros'...

the love of MY life and I have been together 30 years....
the last time we told the world of our commitment to each other was on our twentieth wedding  annivesary on the colorado natl monumet at the exact spot where we got married...
dont need no church,no pagens,no romans etc when to profess my love..

now st paddy he really screwed up!!!
may of got some serpents outa the isles but left the snakes there
cause he was one!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:23:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Valentines thread...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.