Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roadog! when BIG! aint big enough (Read 98 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Roadog! when BIG! aint big enough
02/12/11 at 21:42:13

DIY motorcycle
3,280 lbs and 20,000 miles on the clock the first year
Featuring a 126 inch wheelbase, and a length of over 17 feet, the massive bike had a turning radius of 110 feet.

Can you say "Chopper"?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Roadog! when BIG! aint big enough
Reply #1 - 02/12/11 at 21:58:08

Is that a 5 gallon tank on the back?

What's it's range 50 miles?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/12/11 at 22:18:31

With a 110' turn radius,... my guess is 12k of the 20k miles, is maneuvering backwards and forwards to turn around at the Mini-mart pumps...
Where is this guy?... Huh...

Ha!,... and two kickstands 6ft apart...
"Ahh,..Hey!,. buddy,... could you do me a favor?"... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/13/11 at 00:56:45

That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/13/11 at 07:13:12

stinger wrote on 02/13/11 at 00:56:45:
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Been a while since youve been downtown, hadnitt?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/13/11 at 09:27:54

I don't care! It's American made, and I like it!!!
So, when do we get to see the two wheel Peterbuilt?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/13/11 at 09:35:39

The guy who built Roaddog built 2 IIRC. Okay, gurgled it, Wiki says.

I saw ( on TV) a bike mag writer try to ride one. He didnt get far.

The Builder

Born in Wisconsin, "Wild Bill" Gelbke graduated college in Wisconsin as an electronic engineer and moved out to California for additional schooling at a Southern California University. After which, he worked as an aircraft engineer for McDonnell Douglas and Hughes Aircraft. It was during this time he decided to turn his talents towards motorcycles. In the early 1960s he relocated from Los Angeles to Chicago, and opened up his own shop, the Gelbke Motorcycle Co.

He had a vision of what motorcycles of the future would become, and decided to make a prototype. This was the genesis of what he called "Roadog".
[edit] Roadog

Unlike conventional motorcycles which had a tube steel construction, Wild Bill choose 4130 chrome-molybdenum tubing for the frame. Starting in 1962, he began to assemble this custom motorcycle. It was powered by a 152 cubic inch (2.4L) four-cylinder engine from a Chevy Nova II. It featured a two-speed Automatic PowerGlide transmission and included a reverse gear. The bike also had shaft drive.

When it was finished, the Roadog weighed a phenomenal 3,280 lbs. Due to its enormous weight, Gelbke couldn't use a conventional kickstand; instead, he installed four hydraulic rams, one at each corner, controlled by the rider.

Featuring a 126 inch wheelbase, and a length of over 17 feet, the massive bike had a turning radius of 110 feet.

With the intent of making it a cruising bike, Gelbke immediately took it on the road, covering over 20,000 miles the first year. The bike was seen in most of the Southern United States, making trips to Los Angeles, Texas, Louisiana, and New Jersey.
[edit] Roadog II

Roadog II was a complete rebuild of the original Roadog. The second motorcycle was completed in 1965, with some lessons learned from the original Roadog being employed. The front shocks were reduced from four to two springs. Also a crossbar was added to the hydraulic rams, making it easier to level the bike.

Because of the size and unusual drive characteristics of this bike, there were only a few people who were ever able to ride it. Buzz Walneck of Walneck's Cycle Trader, a publication famous for their variety of vintage and unusual motorcycles acquired the bike and rode it in 2005.
[edit] The Auto Four

The Auto Four was Bill's attempt at a production model. There were 7 or 8 built total.

SPECIFICS:

Engine: Inline 4 cylinder, liquid cooled 1275 cc British Leland engine with lots of torque and horsepower. The bike is not fast off of the line but has a vibration free cruising speed of 90 mph. Shaft driven to BMW universal mounted to rear wheel hub.

Ride: Some had a similar suspension to the Roadog and some used Harley suspension both front and rear.

Frame: Hand made frame, swing arm, gas tanks (2 & ½ gallon on the front and 12 and ½ gallon capacity on the back.

Lights: Brake lights in back are eight 1959 Cadillac bullet taillights. Yellow front running lights on separate switch. Truck styled turn signals in back and bullet light turn signals in front. Set of 2 GM head lights.

Seat and Saddlebags: Original Harley seat and specially made saddlebags

Tires: both front and rear are 5x16.

Weight: About 1000 lbs.
[edit] Aftermath

In 1978, William Gelbke was killed by local police in a domestic dispute. The bikes disappeared, only remembered by occasional reprints of photographs and posters. Finally in the mid 1990s they resurfaced, and are owned by private collectors

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:16:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Roadog! when BIG! aint big enough

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.