FORD to sue FERRARI (Read 288 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
FORD to sue FERRARI
02/10/11 at 01:25:18

Ford Motor Co. is set to sue Ferrari on the grounds of "stealing" the name "F-150".

Ford’s F150 pick-up has been a huge success on American shores for more than 20 years and the manufacturer is now angered that Ferrari has elected to use the same name for the car it hopes will secure the F1 crown this season.
Ford insists it asked Ferrari to change the name of the car but having had no reply, has been left with no option but to take action.
“F-150 is an established and important Ford trademark and the name of the best-seller in ord’s F-Series, America’s best-selling trucks for 34 years and best-selling vehicles for 29 years,” a statement from Ford read. “Through extensive sales and advertising and exclusive use, Ford has earned invaluable goodwill in the F-150 trademark. That hard-won goodwill is seriously threatened by Ferrari’s adoption of ‘F150’.

Source, http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/365144/Ford_to_sue_Ferrari/

Now, considering that in the 1960's one of GM's top selling sports cars was the Pontiac GTO...

1960s Ferrari GTO

1960s Pontiac GTO

1980s Ferrari GTO

2011 Ferrari F-150

2011 Ford F-150

Now, how on earth could Ford event think of being offended ???  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: FORD to sue FERRARI
Reply #1 - 02/10/11 at 06:26:33

Well, Pontiac isn't part of Ford (it's GM) so it's not exactly hypocrisy, but you are right that it is absurd for Ford to be suing over 'F150.'  What's next, somebody wants to claim exclusive use of the letters "GT" in their vehicle name?  

Ford's legal and advertising practices are annoying.. screw 'em.  When my Ranger dies I'm not buying another one.  The Mazda B-series is the same truck anyway.. no use paying extra for the FORD badge on the tailgate, which I see has grown to the size of a dinner plate.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 02/10/11 at 06:51:47

Cause people may buy a Ferrari racing car thinking it's a Ford pickup truck, you know, by mistake.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 02/10/11 at 07:05:56

They should have named it Edsel and there wouldn't have been a problem.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 02/10/11 at 07:28:55

You have to remember that there was no confusion between Pontiac and Ferrari over GTO.

In America, Pontiac's use of GTO was simply shorthand for "Garbage Truck Options".

If one knows what GTO really means, it was a combination of sacrilage and fraud for Pontiac to attach the letters GTO that that boulevard bathtub of a vehicle.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
crackmonkey
YaBB Newbies

nothing to see here.
 keep moving

Hagerstown, MD
Reply #5 - 02/10/11 at 07:41:30

wasnt it something like grand torismo option or something like that?

ford is stupid

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 02/10/11 at 07:51:29

Mpescatori, Ford has spent all their goverment bailout money. Wall St is destroying the working middle class so hardly anyone can afford to buy one of their F150's. So Ford is sueing Ferrarrri? How else is an honest man supposed to make a living?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 02/10/11 at 07:59:44

Midnightrider wrote on 02/10/11 at 07:51:29:
..Ford has spent all their goverment bailout money..

To their credit, Ford is the only American automaker that did NOT pick our pockets on that bailout deal.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 02/10/11 at 08:00:44

I understood Ford didn't take any bailout money.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 02/10/11 at 08:05:53

They just found another way to get our tax dollars..............Ford takes bailout money from Energy Dept; Chance for brand to be #1
Ford Motor Company has successfully avoided the need to take the government's bailout money like both GM and Chrysler and has been able to keep its employees, dealers and operations mostly intact.

Now Ford has announced that it will take some US Taxpayer money but as an investment from the Energy Department to develop and launch fuel efficient automobiles................ Ford just launched a massive propaganda campaign like their buddies at Wall St have all been trained to do. The end result was miilions of dollars like GM and Chrysler. Why should our tax dollars be used to fund research and development for an auto maker?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 02/10/11 at 08:30:52

Thanks for the info.

So they're obnoxious and FOur fingeReD... what's not to like?  Cheesy

I don't care if they take that money and develop a Mr. Fusion car that runs on banana peels.  No more big-3 vehicles for me.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 02/10/11 at 08:37:09

Boule’tard wrote on 02/10/11 at 08:30:52:
Thanks for the info.

So they're obnoxious and FOur fingeReD... what's not to like?  Cheesy

I don't care if they take that money and develop a Mr. Fusion car that runs on banana peels.  No more big-3 vehicles for me.  

B, I'm just not 100% sure where that money went.......Ford CEO: $28M for 4 months work
Former Boeing exec got $18.5 million bonus, almost $9 million in stock and options and base salary at annual $2 million rate, according to proxy.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Struggling Ford Motor Co., which posted a record $12.7 billion net loss in 2006, gave its new CEO Alan Mulally $28 million for four months on the job, according to the company's proxy statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission Thursday.

I've got a pretty good idea though  Shocked

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 02/10/11 at 08:39:59

Midnight -

What you may not know is when any private industry concern takes gov't grants for research into anything, as part of the deal  the private company gives up the patent rights it would otherwise have on whatever it is that they develop.

So, the end result is out there in the public domain to be used by others.

So, if you want the research done in America as opposed to overseas, and then have the results, if successful, available to all, what's wrong with that?

And, having gov't give grants to private industry spends the money where it counts - in America and American workers' hands.

You seem to be bent on finding fault with whatever a company does.  How would you prefer this research be done?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 02/10/11 at 08:44:38

Sorry Jerry, I have a major problem with a CEO paying himself 28 million for four months work and then he turns around and takes OUR taxdollars to supposedly fund R and D. Yes I have a major problem with that, I guess its just one of my many character defects.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 02/10/11 at 09:03:29

I un derstand, but it's the Board who pays any exec. officer.  A CEO doesn't "pay himself".  Since this man ran Ford, and still does, I think, in a manner that the company was able to bank enough cash during the good times of the mid 2000s to keep the company running during the downturn, and NOT take a cent of bailout money, I think he was worth it.

Did you read yesterday that the TARP program has so far returned a profit to the U.S. taxpayers of 20+ Billion Dollars from all of the bank loans that have now been repaid, mostly ahead of time, with interest and stock warrants that the gov't has now sold to earn that profit?

So when we use the term "bailout" in the future, it has been the gov't deficit budget that has been the primary beneficiary of being bailed out by American banks.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 15:15:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › FORD to sue FERRARI

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.