Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
question about painting headlight bucket (Read 193 times)
sbaugz
Ex Member

question about painting headlight bucket
02/05/11 at 14:08:17

I took my headlight bucket off and plan on painting it black. Looks like its actually made from plastic with a chromed coating over the top. Anyone ever paint these? I was thinking using Krylon fusion, which is made for plastic and forms a bond between the paint and plastic. I was kinda thinking the chrome coating should be stripped first. Anyone with experience doing this?

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: question about painting headlight bucket
Reply #1 - 02/05/11 at 14:17:50

I do know that using solvents and abrasive strippers on plastic can easily mess up the finish(scored and uneven).. I'd just clean it good with a gentle solvent and paint it with the krylon.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #2 - 02/05/11 at 14:20:59

I was going to paint mine but saw that the cable might rub.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 02/05/11 at 14:30:43

Sand it with 400 grit just to take the shine off the chrome, not to remove it

Degrease it with mineral spirits

Spray it with DupliColor primer

Lightly dry sand primer with 600 grit just to knock down the fuzz

Spray it with DupliColor color of your choice as per instructions on the can

Spray it with a couple of coats of DupliColor clear coat as per instruction on the can

Wet sand with 1000 and 2000 grit paper

Rub it with polishing compound

Wax it

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/05/11 at 20:26:41

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/05/11 at 14:30:43:
Sand it with 400 grit just to take the shine off the chrome, not to remove it

Degrease it with mineral spirits

Spray it with DupliColor primer

Lightly dry sand primer with 600 grit just to knock down the fuzz

Spray it with DupliColor color of your choice as per instructions on the can

Spray it with a couple of coats of DupliColor clear coat as per instruction on the can

Wet sand with 1000 and 2000 grit paper

Rub it with polishing compound

Wax it

Why do people always want to use primer?? Primer does not stick as well as paint.
Sand it with 220, wet sane it with 360/400. Clean it with mineral spirits (100% spirits) hit it with Duplicolor adhesion promoter, then paint it.

If you don't want to spend much cash, use a scotchbrite pad or course steel wool to scuff it up and then paint it with whatever you want. VHT epoxy (roll bar) paint works really well and actually makes a skin. I do this with chrome parts all the time. Remember, it has a chrome [/s]plating on it so paint for plastics does you no good. Chrome is metal....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/05/11 at 22:24:55

Why do people want to use Primer? Really? You asked that?

Duuude,, Come Onnn,, thats NOT the question to ask here.

The question that needs answered is....

Why would anyone want to paint anything that wasnt rusting or somehow desperately in need of paint? You guys who can paint, I envy almost as much as guys who can dance. Almost

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 05:41:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/05/11 at 22:24:55:
Why would anyone want to paint anything that wasnt rusting or somehow desperately in need of paint?

I want to paint it because I am making all the shiny little chrome pieces black on my RYCA cafe racer. Its the look I am going for.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/06/11 at 05:47:20

I agree with einheit13- in this case maybe primer isn't a great idea. While I haven't painted chromed motorcycle parts before, I have painted tons of radio control trucks and cars with chromed parts. I have used duplicolor and various other paints on these parts and the paint just doesn't seem to stick as well when primer is used underneath. It seems to flake off.
My experience, is that the chrome finish needs to come off for best results prior to painting. With my R/C trucks, I would soak in bleach or degreaser overnight and the chrome plating comes right off. Soaking in brake fluid overnight works too. I am just not sure I want to experiment on a $100 part off my motorcycle for this.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/06/11 at 07:33:46

Duuude,, Come Onnn,, thats NOT the question to ask here.

The question that needs answered is....

Why would anyone want to paint anything that wasnt rusting or somehow desperately in need of paint? You guys who can paint, I envy almost as much as guys who can dance. Almost

I meant on chrome or aluminum parts. And you must also understand that 'primer' is a generic term. Primer by itself does not inhibit rust, nor does it help paint stick. Primer fills scratches, primer gives you the ability to add material to hide/cover imperfections. You don't want to sand away the base material, so you spray it with primer. you want a temporary 'shield' from the elements...you use primer.

You want to seal off something, you use an etching primer or primer/sealer. Flat spray paint works better than primer. Why is there no primer under good powder coating?? Why no primer under electroplated parts?? Why no primer under painted aluminum??

Unless you need to fill some scratches, don't wanna change the profile of the part when sanding, or you have a lot of plastic filler (which soaks up paint like wood) leave the primer on the shelf and use paint.

It may take a little more paint to cover, but use as little primer as you can. Ask any real painter and he will tell you, primer is for bare metal only, or as a tool to gauge the flatness of a panel when you use 2 different colors. Prime it gray, mist coat with black. When you sand it down, any shiny spots mean its high, dark spots (black primer) means its low....

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/06/11 at 07:45:10

sbaugz wrote on 02/06/11 at 05:47:20:

I agree with einheit13- in this case maybe primer isn't a great idea. While I haven't painted chromed motorcycle parts before, I have painted tons of radio control trucks and cars with chromed parts. I have used duplicolor and various other paints on these parts and the paint just doesn't seem to stick as well when primer is used underneath. It seems to flake off.
My experience, is that the chrome finish needs to come off for best results prior to painting. With my R/C trucks, I would soak in bleach or degreaser overnight and the chrome plating comes right off. Soaking in brake fluid overnight works too. I am just not sure I want to experiment on a $100 part off my motorcycle for this.

Chrome on your bike is harder that that on your R/C parts. Chrome is hard. You must scratch it up really well. The adhesion promoter is like glue. It will adhere to the scratches in the scuffed chrome and bond with it the surface. When you apply the paint, it will react like epoxy and join together with the paint chemically, making them effectively one single unit. It works rather well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/06/11 at 08:23:30

Hey, I just used your reasonable point to work toward sayin what I wanted to say, which is, Why Paint, EVER.. of course I understand you guys want to make it look like you want it to look & youre willing to do the work & go thru the learning curve to get there. Im glad he said what was said about primer, I had no idea. Its interesting reading, I just like to be a wiseguy.. pay no attention to me in a paint thread, Im just along for the ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 02/06/11 at 08:55:29

Why use primer?

Because all the professional painters can't be insane.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/06/11 at 13:27:02

MotoBuddha wrote on 02/06/11 at 08:55:29:
Why use primer?

Because all the professional painters can't be insane.

And the same on the other end...and define professional.... Wink

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/06/11 at 13:29:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/06/11 at 08:23:30:
Hey, I just used your reasonable point to work toward sayin what I wanted to say, which is, Why Paint, EVER.. of course I understand you guys want to make it look like you want it to look & youre willing to do the work & go thru the learning curve to get there. Im glad he said what was said about primer, I had no idea. Its interesting reading, I just like to be a wiseguy.. pay no attention to me in a paint thread, Im just along for the ride.

The learning curve is what I'm talking about. I've had paint flack off chrome with a simple washing. Stopped using primer and that fixed that issue.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 02/06/11 at 13:50:46

Do they make a good chrome color paint?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print