Send Topic Print
Backfire on shutdown (Read 231 times)
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Backfire on shutdown
02/05/11 at 10:59:17

Been trying to fix my backfiring problem on my bike.  It is mostly limited to a bang when I shutoff the engine.

I have recently rejetted with a #55 pilot and a #155 main jet. Also have the adjustment screw 1.5 turns out.  Got it so the backfiring has gone from a Ba BOOOM to a POP. But it's still there on shutdown.. I am also running a cone filter and a jardine exhaust.  

I haven't modified my white spacer I figured the pilot would be the biggest contributor and at least with jets you can always go back, if I take too much off the spacer I'd have to order a new one.  If you guys think the needle setting will effect this I could play with it.. or if you think I need to go even bigger on the pilot jet.  Figured #55 was pretty big though.  Or is a shutdown backfire just impossible to get rid of on a savage.  I had heard of some bikes having a special enrichment circuit just for shutdown so it won't backfire which I'm sure the savage doesn't have.  

It's a 2002 btw.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
redsavage87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Backfire on shutdown
Reply #1 - 02/05/11 at 11:28:19

Well I've got an 87 and it backfires.. all the time, shutdown included. So this is nothing new for the savage!  Grin

Just a suggestion on the white spacer, you can try picking up some real small washers and using several of those in place of the white spacer to get different sizes. Just make sure you flatten out the washers.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/05/11 at 11:33:45

Just adjust the idle mixture screw CCW a bit to reduce the pop to a poof.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/05/11 at 22:41:11

Well, you could solve the problem the same way I solved my hangover problem. You dont have a real problem, till you quit, right? May I suggest you just keep riding & dont shut the thing off? I avoid hangovers by just stayin drunk.. surely its a Universal truth..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/06/11 at 04:21:28

All is well with your machine, my 2002 did it and my GF's 1997 does it. It's a Savage after all. Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #5 - 02/06/11 at 04:49:44

LOL, when I first put the harley exhaust on it used to backfire really really loud.  One time I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off and it backfired so loud the people in the car next to me jumped and ducked.  I just went thru and completely cleaned the carb, made sure everything was set right and adjusted the air/fuel screw.  Over time, it quieted down to a small pop which is barely noticable.

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #6 - 02/06/11 at 06:35:17

Sad guess I'll have to look at it as character from what I've been hearing so far.. it's just whenever I stop at the gas station to get gas they all look at me funny when the starter pistol goes off..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/06/11 at 15:59:25

If it really bothers you pull the choke at a little as you simultaneously hit the kill switch.

IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #8 - 02/09/11 at 19:45:13

My savage backfires normally.

Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 02/09/11 at 19:55:53

My 09 occassionally (farts) on shut down. Or I should call it a fluff as it is a she..
I like it as not every bike, talks back to at ya when you shut it off. Smiley kim

IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #10 - 02/10/11 at 14:45:00

My 2001 does it also. Its annoying but I look at it as "an announcement of my arrival "...gets folks attention, and me noticed... Smiley thats right, I'm bad, check it and dig it.  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/10/11 at 16:21:06

Mine growls & spits on decel as I shift down thru gears. I like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/10/11 at 16:22:20

My 2009 does it as well.  It bothered me at first, but after a while it becomes "normal".  I suppose if it stopped backfiring now I would have to take it to the shop and get it fixed ....LOL.

-Hal

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:40:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire on shutdown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.