my first motorcycle? (Read 275 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: my first motorcycle?
Reply #15 - 02/02/11 at 07:16:07

If you trust the guys selling it I'd go ahead and get it but talk 'em down to 1200 and tell them ya gotta get gear, license, insurance etc.. etc...
Have you test ridden it...or at the very least started it up and listened to it?
P.S. my '06 cost me 1900.00 and looks brand new! But I took my time and shopped a lot (for only S40's)...almost drove to Co Springs for one but the '06 just appeared on CL and I bought it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/02/11 at 07:38:18

No. I haven't seen it in person yet. And I'm just learning how to ride so I probably won't ride it till after I complete the course. Everybody says a newer bike would be better but I'm confident in this one. I plan to try and negotiate but I also want these people to get paid too. Thanks again to everyone this site reminds me of clubintegta.com very friendly and helpful

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/02/11 at 09:14:05

My only concerns with buying a 1987 would be the starter gear & the timing chain adjuster. Might see if you can get them to do the starter gear mod & check the tensioner; then it would be worth the $1500. Smiley

My 87 went 35,000 miles before it broke the starter mount. The timing chain was still OK. I think the early bikes had better chains. Tongue

I've had a 1987, 2000, & still have a 2001. I prefer the 4 speed model because the way they geared the 5 speeds it's just an extra shift with no real benefit. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #18 - 02/02/11 at 19:01:12

It is a good looking bike and knowing the history has value. It sounds like you already did your research....thats all I was trying to suggest anyway. Welcome to the club by the way. You will not regret it.
Cool

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #19 - 02/03/11 at 01:49:49

It is a gorgeous bike man! You just have to be conscious of getting eager trigger fingers when it comes to your first bike. I know I almost did, as I looked at a lot of bikes I wanted to buy before I found my girl.

As for a learner bike, I'm one season in to the sport but coming from someone who has ridden bicycles in his youth and dirtbikes briefly, the savage is grand. Lightweight and you can put both feet down confidently. Not to mention I can out accelerate my friends V Star and he has been riding for several years Cheesy

Remember to leave enough money for proper gear and the safety course. Be safe out there! The Savage is an amazing bike all around and will treat you well if you choose her.

-Coming From a First Season Rookie Of Course..

-Wake

IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/03/11 at 04:45:31

thanks again everyone. i already bought a used jacket, shopping around for new helmet. i'm going to take the class before i buy the bike. and trust me safe is my middle name, moving 300,000 dollar 500 horsepower super cars on a sheet of ice in -10 weather is all about being safe lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:22:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › my first motorcycle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.