Send Topic Print
my first motorcycle? (Read 275 times)
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

my first motorcycle?
01/31/11 at 20:56:35

hi my name is derek and i am new to the riding experience, in the motorcycle aspect anyway. I have been looking all over everywhere for bikes in my price range for about a month solid. a friend of mine at work has a 87' savage for sale. really the bike is beautiful. new custom paint job done in house. they claim that alot of engine work has been done to the bike and it has basically been rebuilt. i haven't seen any records yet, but they are good people and i feel i can trust them. the bike has 14,xxx miles, they are asking 1,500 firm i believe. i have some pics i can post up. any input is apriciated. oh and explain to me how to post up pics thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: my first motorcycle?
Reply #1 - 01/31/11 at 22:11:03

Hi Derek,.. welcome...
We all like the Savage, of course, and it's not a bad starter bike.  It's also not a bad bike for old timers too...
It's a cheap, simple, reliable, machine, with plenty of personality.
An 87' is an old one, but 14k miles is not a lot.  If you think it's been well taken care of, go for it.

Now, you be careful learning to ride,... okay?...

Shiny side up,... rubber side down... Wink...
Serow

PS... To post pics, you have to put them on a host site, like Bikepics, or Photobucket, (they are free),... then link them in your post here...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/11 at 22:23:00

for an 87 that has been rebuilt. .  .  I don't know about $1500, but I don't know the guys and 14k miles isn't bad.  some other guys here can tell you more about what to check over, I love custom paint jobs, but they aren't the most important thing on a bike.  

as far as learning to ride, take a course if you can, be safe, the savage is a great starter bike, enough umph to get you going and light enough to make you feel comfortable.

rubber side down!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/31/11 at 22:45:28

$1500 is high for an '87 normally, maybe not for a rebuilt.
I'd sure hate to learn on a beautiful bike though.  
That 1st scratch will be a killer.

What's your local?

for $1500 you should be able to get a 2000 or better.

Also, I'd be concerned why they rebuilt it.  There's a couple of things which if ignored will bite you in the a$$.  Cam chain and the starter.  14k is too early for an '87 but my guess is the starter.  If the engine kicks back on shutdown the one way clutch will jam the starter and bust out the mounts.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 01/31/11 at 23:00:24

derbro wrote on 01/31/11 at 20:56:35:
oh and explain to me how to post up pics thanks.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240899665

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #5 - 02/01/11 at 01:13:36

I just (yesterday) sold a '97 w/8K for $1200 in Houston.  And there was another fellow in central Ohio (I think) that was selling nearly a twin of mine for about the same.  They are great bikes, and wonderful for a beginner.  lightweight and very forgiving.

+1 on taking the MSF course if it is available, it will give you a lot of great information and some practice.

IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/01/11 at 05:21:39

i work at an aston martin dealership in colorado. everyone i know is a technician or a salesman. i'm pretty savvy on turning a wrench too (i recently replaced the oil pump on my 96' acura gsr). one of the techs i work with races bikes and is part of a racing shop, he has known the owners for years, like i have, and he said that the bike has been well taken care of, and basically rebuilt the engine (rings? cam? valves? what?) i should have more info soon, as well as pics. i think imma go for it. and yes i've already looked into enrollment in a riders safwty/beginners course, new helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, oh and insurance. thanks again guys, you'll probably be seeing alot of me in the future.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 02/01/11 at 08:43:24

Hey Derek, I live in Denver. I've been working on a '97 that I picked up for 500. It had some problems. At 1500 I'd say you're doing alright but ask them about the cam chain. Come spring I'm going to be selling my second one off once I'm through getting it road worthy.
If you want to you can PM me and I'll walk you through some of the stuff I've done.
P.S. rider school is a good choice...you can mess up thier bike if ya tip... Smiley

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #8 - 02/01/11 at 11:17:57

Yeah go for the course.  If you can ride their bikes you can ride a savage no problem.  They usually use standard 250cc bikes like honda nighthawks.  That are more top heavy and have a less low end power than the savage.  You can do figure 8's inside of a parking space with the savage they're so easy to ride.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/01/11 at 12:47:40

thanks everybody.

i'm signing up to take an abate class in march Smiley

pics coming after work today, i think you guys will be impressed.

need to buy: motorcycle, helmet, jacket, pay for course.

IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/01/11 at 18:31:50

here ya go

, , , ,

i think it's badass and if i can't talk them down from 1500 i might not lose sleep over it.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #11 - 02/01/11 at 20:43:02

Just my 2 cents but you should do some searching for used savages/s40 in your area to get a good idea of what you could get for 1500. I just bought a 2007 s40 with 2700 miles in perfect condition for $2200. It came with bags, shield and engine guard. Of course that is in Florida but you should be able to get a newer bike with less miles for the same price or slightly more.

ps  Try craigslist if you havent already. Thats where i found mine.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/02/11 at 04:52:02

this is my first bike, i've been looking at bikes cheaper than this, and a few right at this price that are all garbage compared to this. 1500 is alot of money for me, plus i still gotta buy gear. plus everyone on craiglist is a stranger, i've known these guys for years. maybe i could find something better/cheaper, but i think imma get this one.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 02/02/11 at 05:18:10

Great looking bike.  Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut!  It does look pretty good for an '87, but its still an old bike, so be careful.  (I'm tend to be Mother Hen, so I hope you don't take offense).  My almost-20 year old son rides an '87 also, but its been hacked almost to death.  lol

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
derbro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/02/11 at 07:13:27

More pics/posts later to come. Thank you everybody for the input.

1987=the greatest year ever

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:41:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › my first motorcycle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.