Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy on the block... (Read 189 times)
Grmi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New guy on the block...
01/19/11 at 15:02:06

Hello all!  I've all but decide to take the plunge and get a Suzuki Savage.  Last year I decided to be done with bikes and sold my Shadow VLX.  Turns out I can't take being away and have decide to look for a new bike, searching has brought me to the Savage and the more I learn the more I love.  Anyhow, I've found a few for sale locally, but am not sure if the are "good deals" or not.  One of the bikes I am primarily interested in is a 1996 savage with 21000 miles.  It has been keyed and is being sold as is for $1150.  The other is a 2001 with 2000 miles, perfect shape, $1900.

I don't really know what to look out for, and if the prices are right.  I'm pretty set on a Savage, but my check book is limited. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
Grmi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New guy on the block...
Reply #1 - 01/19/11 at 15:02:28

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/19/11 at 15:16:37

Both fine choices for the price, but as regards the '96...at 21k mi expect to do some wrenching. At that mileage you'll need to check your cam chain tensioner, and likely replace it (at least) with a modified tensioner available here from our own verslagen. Cost you about $100 and the price of fresh oil and filter plus your time.
The other one wont need to be looked into until about 10k mi but if you plan to keep it it will need done, so save some money and learn to wrench now, or be a little more spendy and learn later.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/19/11 at 15:23:01

For either one, check kbb.com for prices

$1150 not bad, but at 20k miles you'll need to look at the cam chain, $250 to $500 for a shop to fix it.  If he hasn't replaced/repaired it, you will.  Tanks and seats can be had for less than he quoted.  Tire will be over $150 to replace (tire, tube, mount and balance)

$1900, low miles, good to go.  what's not to like.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 01/19/11 at 15:23:22

Also noticed that the 96 has an aftermarket muffler (looks like it might be a Supertrapp) so you know the previous owner has done some things to it and you might not know exactly what you're getting. If it were my money and time, I would likely spring for the 2001 of that is still in your price range, but that's just me.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Grmi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/19/11 at 15:51:14

Is the price good on the '01?  I was looking at bikes in the market on here and it seems like they go for a bit less...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/19/11 at 17:09:45

according to kbb a 2001 should go for 1150

given it's mileage, it might be considered a 1 year old bike 2100

Also, the '96 value is 910 when in good condition.

What's the weather like?
How long till riding season?
These are the things that will dictate price.

WWW   IP Logged
Grmi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/19/11 at 17:45:58

Well, winter is in full swing.  Snow is about a foot deep and ice covering the road and side walks.  We have a good 3-4 months till most would even consider getting out, but a lot of folks don't get their bikes out till May or June.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/19/11 at 17:58:47

what's the local cost for storage?
usually you can knock that off the price.

WWW   IP Logged
Grmi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/19/11 at 18:44:03

Well, I've been checking into things and it doesn't look like the 2001 is written in the stars (or the account statement)... so,
What kind of wrenching might I expect on the 1996?  I know the cam chain tensioner was brought up, and the front tire.  Are there other things to expect or look for?  I think I can work this guy down on the price a little and I'm not a total loss with a wrench set, plus it it sounds like there's a wealth of knowledge here to help me through trouble.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/19/11 at 19:44:06

You will not go w/o help. &, Ive yet to see anyone fail to get thru a cam chain & tensioner & valve adj.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #11 - 01/19/11 at 19:55:43

Welcome. This site is a wealth of information - best on the net. With some tools and some patience you can do the work yourself and take pride in knowing its done right.  One piece of advice, search the site well for info on your problem/symptoms then ask questions. I have learned from experience that this helps me ask the correct question and helps the tool twisters diagnose the problem.  Wink

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Grmi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/19/11 at 20:28:24

alright, i may go take a gander at the 96 this weekend.  if i bought it soon i would have the rest of winter to get her tip top again.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #13 - 01/20/11 at 14:44:47

what can ya afford if ya don't mind my asking? cause it never hurts to ask you could offer like 1000 for the 2001, he might not take it, but ya never know.  The 96 will cost you probably 300+$(100$ cam chain, tire 150, paint if you do it yourself 20$) to fix up and will have a lower resale value so consider that.  But if you can get it for 500$ or more less than the other one I'd still consider it a good deal..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 01/20/11 at 14:57:55

BrettKeiselsbeard wrote on 01/19/11 at 19:55:43:
Welcome. This site is a wealth of information - best on the net. With some tools and some patience you can do the work yourself and take pride in knowing its done right.  One piece of advice, search the site well for info on your problem/symptoms then ask questions. I have learned from experience that this helps me ask the correct question and helps the tool twisters diagnose the problem.  Wink

not only are we a great source of information, we're a great bunch of boys and girls. come on over to the cafe, grab a bite at sluggo'[s table
just have some fun.

welcome

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 01:37:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › New guy on the block...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.