Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My light weight pedal bike (Read 121 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
My light weight pedal bike
01/19/11 at 03:45:20

This bike is designed to go up hill as everywhere from my village is up hill, apart from going to the next village (1 mile) and then it's all up from there.

Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My light weight pedal bike
Reply #1 - 01/19/11 at 05:39:55

Up HILL? The gearing on that thing would go straight up a wall.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 01/19/11 at 07:43:03

Nice bike Clive! Here's the one I ride the rail trails with.                  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 01/19/11 at 16:33:49

Mike if you added a pair of toe clips you would get almost double your horsepower. pull up while pushing down,you gotta have em.you will amaze your friends when you fly up hills.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/19/11 at 16:36:46

nice bike Clive,what does it weigh ? in pounds and oz  please.
What ratio is top gear ?

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 01/19/11 at 16:48:45

Mick I have a new (well I put 600 mi on it) carbon fiber street bike. Talking about lightweight, it weighs 14.5 ibs. I paid as much for it as my used Savage cost me. It has toe clips on it, doesnt double your HP but I can tell the difference. I've already busted my arse on it one time when I forgot to disconnect. Just happened to be in a fairly large crowd. Talk about embarassing LOL. Its made me gunshy of the clips but I'm gonna give it another chance when the weather warms. I'm gonna ride by myself with em for a while and hopefully disconnecting will become second nature.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 01/19/11 at 16:54:40

Clive, are you comfortable with the seat?

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 01/19/11 at 21:41:14

Midnightrider wrote on 01/19/11 at 16:48:45:
Mick I have a new (well I put 600 mi on it) carbon fiber street bike. Talking about lightweight, it weighs 14.5 ibs. I paid as much for it as my used Savage cost me. It has toe clips on it, doesnt double your HP but I can tell the difference. I've already busted my arse on it one time when I forgot to disconnect. Just happened to be in a fairly large crowd. Talk about embarassing LOL. Its made me gunshy of the clips but I'm gonna give it another chance when the weather warms. I'm gonna ride by myself with em for a while and hopefully disconnecting will become second nature.

I never rode without them,it does indeed become second nature they come with quick release buckles, I think though Mike that they have another peddle out now that has a slot ,and something on your shoes that connect, Any bike dealer will have them in stock (not cheap).
As for Clive's seat, mine looked just like it,it's to get rid of any weight you can,and you can develope more power when your legs are freer.
My bike didn't even have gears at all, just a fixed sprocket on the wheel with 12 teeth ,no freewheeling. that way I could get rid of the back brake,just use leg muscle for a back brake ,saving weight again.
We took cycling very seriously.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 01/20/11 at 00:11:47

" I think though Mike that they have another peddle out now that has a slot ,and something on your shoes that connect"  They call them clips. Thats what I'm trying to use. I have mixed emotions about it, I can tell an advantage when I use them but its not second nature right now to unclip, plus the shoes are a pregnant dog to try and walk in. I have visions of not being able to unclip and falling over and breaking my arm LOL. I'll have to see how I feel when spring arrives and make up my mind whether to continue with them or not. Shimano makes a pedal that has the slots on one side for the clips and on the other side its like a good mountainbike pedal. You could ride the bike either way with a set of those pedals, that might be my next bicycle related purchase.  

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 01/20/11 at 04:43:32

My bikes not 14.5 lb's worth of carbon fiber but is 25 lb' of reynolds tube, gearing is 30 front and 12 to 28 rear. Works for me.
Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 01/20/11 at 05:54:04

I have a Raleigh comfort bike only paid $400 for it I like the front fork suspension and Suspension seat post and nice seat it has,Its more of a up riding position so the weight of your body is not on your arms and easier on your family jewels. I ride 6-7 miles a day 7 days a week with out stopping. I have trails 2 blocks from me but very seldom ride them.28 speeds the fastest I can get is 19 mph on level road,I know thats not fast but fast enough for me,I think it weights 28 pounds.26 inch 195 tires.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 01/20/11 at 08:23:58

That is impressive bill67.

Clive, that bike looks like it can fly.  I got a Trek 930, not light at all but built like a tank.  It needs a motor.   One time I was on the MS150 (Houston-to-Austin) ride, totally unprepared, running full knobbies.  This spandex jockey looks at my rig and says  "Dude, two words:  ROAD  BIKE!"

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 03:36:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › My light weight pedal bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.