Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE8) (Read 192 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE
Reply #15 - 01/05/11 at 18:55:34

Go download a ISO of Mint 9.0 and iso burn it to a CD using something like Neroburn.

Then drop it in your CD drive and cold boot the laptop.

Inside a half hour you will know if it is gonna autofind all your bits and pieces or not and if it is gonna work flawlessly for you.

Ubuntu is another good'n, just not quite as easy to get into as Mint.   Both Mint and Ubuntu come in XFce and similar "smaller footprint" versions that might fit your older machine better (they were actually built for older machines).

The ultimate old box linux is Puppy Linux 5.0 -- and it is really fast even on very old machines.   Just not as user easy to utilize (requires you to command line some items).

Puppy will load the entire thing (OS and all programs) into RAM and run it all at ram drive speeds .....   this is the fastest responding machine you will ever see, just not as pretty or as painless as Mint.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #16 - 01/05/11 at 19:02:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/05/11 at 18:55:34:
Go download a ISO of Mint 9.0 and iso burn it to a CD using something like Neroburn.

Then drop it in your CD drive and cold boot the laptop.

Inside a half hour you will know if it is gonna autofind all your bits and pieces or not and if it is gonna work flawlessly for you.

Ubuntu is another good'n, just not quite as easy to get into as Mint.   Both Mint and Ubuntu come in XFce and similar "smaller footprint" versions that might fit your older machine better (they were actually built for older machines).

The ultimate old box linux is Puppy Linux 5.0 -- and it is really fast even on very old machines.   Just not as user easy to utilize (requires you to command line some items).

Puppy will load the entire thing (OS and all programs) into RAM and run it all at ram drive speeds .....   this is the fastest responding machine you will ever see, just not as pretty or as painless as Mint.

good idea, thanks for the tip.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 01/05/11 at 19:11:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/05/11 at 18:55:34:
Both Mint and Ubuntu come in XFce and similar "smaller footprint" versions that might fit your older machine better (they were actually built for older machines).

That's the most important part!  A lightweight window manager.  Linux is great and all, but load it down with KDE or Gnome and it'll run just as slow as windows.   I use Fluxbox on this 10 year old computer and it's plenty fast.  Cheesy  Gotta try Chrome too, I heard it is lighter than Firefox.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #18 - 01/05/11 at 19:22:21

Downloading it now. Hope I am getting the correct one.  Embarrassed Downloading both xfce and fluxbox versions. That way I can see which one is best for me.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 01/05/11 at 19:46:47

Do you have an account on linuxquestions.org?  That place helped me a lot.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #20 - 01/05/11 at 20:06:54

No I don't, but I'll look into it.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #21 - 01/08/11 at 20:29:13

Got a new power supply for my desk top and it is working great. My hard drives ain't messed up as I feared they were. It's funny though, I ordered a new 600watt power supply off of ebay and they sent me a new 680watt power supply instead.  Smiley Smiley

I couldn't get the Linux Mint 9.0 to boot up on my lap top. I made a boot disk out of an ISO file of the OS but my lap top wouldn't boot it up.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #22 - 01/08/11 at 20:37:31

Bummer.  I have never tried mint.  As CD-bootable linux distributions go, I think darnSmall and Knoppix are good.  Knoppix has good hardware detection but it's pretty bloated.  darnSmall isn't as fancy but runs much faster on an old machine.  Good luck with getting er running.

Edit: since we have a cuss filter, replace darn with d4mn of course

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 01/09/11 at 15:48:53

Did you do a checksum on the download to make sure it wasn't corrupted in any fashion?  

Next, when you burn it, burn at a slower than normal speed with your checking options turned on.

Full bore operating system ISOs have to be perfect in order to work at all and that can sometimes not happen due to cable or line noise, etc.

For the ISO not to try to boot at all signals a bad disc or one that didn't get recognized by your boot bios on your laptop (is your bios set to boot first from the CD drives or does something else boot first, a hard drive or a USB port?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 14:45:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE8)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.