Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE8) (Read 192 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE8)
01/05/11 at 05:53:30

Well,  with being down sized in December, I finally got time to do some of the To-Do list things.  One of which was to put together a better computer for myself.  Of course on the Christmas wish list was Windows 7 for it.  

Well,  after a few days of running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8, I found out it has a flaw with Java-scripts.  Or maybe I should say that the java programing language hasn't been updated for the security features in Win 7/IE8 combo yet.  All I know is that  when I clicked on the button to see bigger pictures in the eBay listings nothing happened. The web says it's a known issue(big whoop, fix it). Then, ... yesterday while looking for jobs, I had an error filling out an on-line application that needed the Java-scripts.

SO....... I switched to Firefox web browser (sort of like the old Netscape).   Java-scripts work again......  Yea!!!   The job search continues.  

BUT........SIDE BENEFIT......  Firefox has spell check build in.  So, when I do replies here, it underlines my typo's.  I can then right click and get corrections or suggestions. I'm so happy.... so much less "modify" clicking.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE
Reply #1 - 01/05/11 at 06:00:20

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 01/05/11 at 06:03:47

I've always used Netscape,Always faster and better than IE for me anyway.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 01/05/11 at 06:21:31

I Use Google Chrome.
Nice , fast, light browser.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 01/05/11 at 06:59:56

I've used IE for so long, I would be so nervous to try something different.  Looked at Chrome, but couldn't give up my IE.  Can I run anything along side IE, like a test run?  Then go running back if I get scared?  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 01/05/11 at 07:15:58

I have both IE and Netscape on my computer,I can go back and forth to either one,And for me the Netscape is better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/05/11 at 07:22:52

All ya gotta do is not care & those little red, wavy lines just melt away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 01/05/11 at 07:32:22

dinsdale wrote on 01/05/11 at 06:21:31:
I Use Google Chrome.
Nice , fast, light browser.

I switched to it last year. I like it a lot. It also has some nice plug-ins.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 01/05/11 at 07:59:06

i use firefox, safari, opera,  i like opera the best.. never a problem

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 01/05/11 at 08:01:41

babyhog wrote on 01/05/11 at 06:59:56:
I've used IE for so long, I would be so nervous to try something different.  Looked at Chrome, but couldn't give up my IE.  Can I run anything along side IE, like a test run?  Then go running back if I get scared?  

Yes, you can run both.   I still have IE8 on the PC but have the Firefox set as the default browser.   I used Netscape years ago so wasn't hard to use "Bookmarks" verse "Favorites".   Everything else is pretty much the same.    

Years ago, IE copy & pasted into MS Office programs better than Netscape (Excel especially).  I haven't tried it yet, but still have IE so I can use it for doing that stuff.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 01/05/11 at 08:26:58

Hadn't thought about trying anything different for a while now, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at other options.  Thanks.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/05/11 at 12:38:53

chrome is nice!  I haven't used Firefox in awhile, and I use Safari on my mac at work but was giving my home pc fits for some reason, so now I use chrome, wouldn't mind trying opera again . . .

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 01/05/11 at 13:59:47

I'll stick with XP pro for my OS, at least it don't need a gig of ram to run the thing. For my browser I always use Mozilla Firefox, it has always worked very well for me and I too love the spell check that comes with using it.

I would love to use a Linux OS but the learning curve to use it compared to Windows is quite large for me and I can never find any equivalent programs to what I use most of.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 01/05/11 at 17:44:20

Try Linux Mint 9.0 and set it up for a dual boot arrangement.   This lets you keep your XP/Win7 world completely untouched (gives you peace of mind, it does).   Heck, you can run Linux Mint for months on end off a simple live CD startup instead of installing it, it is all the same stuff anyway.

Linux only requires 20-30 gigs of HD space, so you can afford to shrink your Windows partition by 20-30 gigs and then let the Linux live CD recognize the unused space as available and the live CD will do all the heavy lifting for you.   http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-108... is a free partition manager that can shrink your windows partition without losing any data or hurting anything -- very easy to use.

Linux is actually pretty boring ... Linux Mint is very much like XP and it just runs Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc just like Windows does, just without any exciting stuff like blue screens and forced cold boots and my favorite, the unannounced screen lock ups.

What is also missing is the every Tuesday invasion of Microsoft security patches of the week and the bi-monthly attack of the virus/trojan/root kit of the week.   And there is no anti-spyware software and stuff running all the time eating up all your processor cycles and systems memory and then asking you to go update it every 2 days.

And there are no adwares -- none.    Heck, I miss scraping my adwares every time I used the XP machine.   And no having to go Systems Restore every other weekend either.

It's too durn boring, you don't even have to reboot it when you do take the occasional Linux update that you get politely notified is available.

Dull  --  Your linux file system doesn't even fragment your files on your hard drive (no defragging needed, ever)

Boring

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 01/05/11 at 18:13:03

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/05/11 at 17:44:20:

Try Linux Mint 9.0 and set it up for a dual boot arrangement.   This lets you keep your XP/Win7 world completely untouched (gives you peace of mind, it does).   Heck, you can run Linux Mint for months on end off a simple live CD startup instead of installing it, it is all the same stuff anyway.

Linux only requires 20-30 gigs of HD space, so you can afford to shrink your Windows partition by 20-30 gigs and then let the Linux live CD recognize the unused space as available and the live CD will do all the heavy lifting for you.   http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-108... is a free partition manager that can shrink your windows partition without losing any data or hurting anything -- very easy to use.

Linux is actually pretty boring ... Linux Mint is very much like XP and it just runs Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc just like Windows does, just without any exciting stuff like blue screens and forced cold boots and my favorite, the unannounced screen lock ups.

What is also missing is the every Tuesday invasion of Microsoft security patches of the week and the bi-monthly attack of the virus/trojan/root kit of the week.   And there is no anti-spyware software and stuff running all the time eating up all your processor cycles and systems memory and then asking you to go update it every 2 days.

And there are no adwares -- none.    Heck, I miss scraping my adwares every time I used the XP machine.   And no having to go Systems Restore every other weekend either.

It's too durn boring, you don't even have to reboot it when you do take the occasional Linux update that you get politely notified is available.

Dull  --  Your linux file system doesn't even fragment your files on your hard drive (no defragging needed, ever)

Boring

Cheesy

I am actually thinking that once I restore my desktop I will put linux on my laptop which is what I am using right now. It is an old Omnibook 6000 with a 900mhz processor, 256 meg of ram, and a 40 gig hard drive. When this laptop first came out windows 2000 was the latest and greatest windows os.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:05:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › side benefit of ditching internet explorer (IE8)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.