No  
  18 (50%)
Undecided  
  5 (13.8%)

Total votes: 36
« Created by: Dooley on: 12/29/10 at 07:03:17 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just want to know what people are thinking (Read 321 times)
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Just want to know what people are thinking
Reply #15 - 12/30/10 at 13:35:06

WebsterMark wrote on 12/29/10 at 10:21:20:
Here’s an interesting thought to consider: it’s a fact that groups of bicycle riders who take up lane space and prevent cars from passing create animosity between some car drivers and the bicyclist. You have probably read stories about bicyclist getting run off the road intentionally etc…

Could loud pipes have a similar effect by creating animosity with some drivers (consciously or subconsciously) and negatively affecting the way they behave towards all motorcyclists?

Interesting point and I do agree that the whole loud pipe "biker image" does have certain stereotype that goes along with it. But I think helps us in a good way safety wise. I say this because not to long ago I had to ride a scooter for a few months as my only transportation. I was tailgated none stop and muscled off the round a few times. I ride the same way on a real bike and that does not happen. And I do believe it is because of the stereotype of the whole biker image. I am a very laid back person. But if they stop tailgating and pushing me off the road because they think I will smash their face if. I can live with that stereotype all day long.

Midnightrider- You are not old. This is Florida the place where old people come to die. It must be seen to be believed, a 90 something year old  woman that need a walker to get around should not be on the road. But they are.

I see a few people have stated that a loud horn is of some use. I would have to agree. So we would agree that a loud audible device gets peoples attention.  Then could one not argue that a constant loud audible device such as loud pipes could get their attention before said horn is needed? Thus avoiding having to use the horn in the first place?

I not sure I understand what is meant by sound going behind you. I hear bikes with loud pipes from behind all the way thu passing. I live on a busy road and hear it all the time. Maybe I am missing something.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/30/10 at 14:20:03

maybe it's a speed thing, at a certain speed, by the time I hear a motorcycle it's already either beside me or past me, at freeway speeds maybe? over 50mph?  idk, by the time I look for the noise it wouldn't have done the rider any good.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/30/10 at 14:23:19

12 deadly safety myths of motorcyclists by Motorcycle Cruiser

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_m...

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #18 - 12/30/10 at 15:08:24

I will say this in the motorists defence,Any cage driver who was a cyclist or motorcyclist will always be very considerate of them.
The problem is they don't know this.
I make a point of giving them more room than they need , at intersections I always give bikers the nod to go ahead, the main reason is because I want to look at the bike as it goes by  Wink.
Ok,that and just because I'm a nice guy. Smiley

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 12/30/10 at 15:56:19

LostArtist wrote on 12/30/10 at 14:23:19:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_m...

Each one is true and false, if you relied on any one of them, you're dead.
They should be taken with a pound of salt.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #20 - 12/30/10 at 16:20:26

verslagen1 wrote on 12/30/10 at 15:56:19:
LostArtist wrote on 12/30/10 at 14:23:19:

Each one is true and false, if you relied on any one of them, you're dead.
They should be taken with a pound of salt.

I did not read the above ,but the rule I can relay after spending half my life on and around motorcles is KEEP YOUR DISTANCE, that will save you 95 %  of the time. and to fast is the other.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 12/30/10 at 16:31:43

So when are you going to show the results of the poll?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Reply #22 - 12/30/10 at 17:39:42

babyhog wrote on 12/30/10 at 16:31:43:
So when are you going to show the results of the poll?

I did not know I had to show the results? I thought you can see where it stands if you vote. Am I wrong? I am hoping for more people to take it.

I just looked and you are correct I need to end the poll to show the results. Only 30 votes have been cast. Keep it going?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 12/30/10 at 17:47:53

if the pipes are to loud you the rider lose the ability to hear dangers presented.

i spent time in the navy in the engine room  i wore both ear plug and muffs. i was the first to notice when the sound of the equipment changed, signaling a potential failure.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Reply #24 - 12/30/10 at 17:53:23

sluggo wrote on 12/30/10 at 17:47:53:
if the pipes are to loud you the rider lose the ability to hear dangers presented.

i spent time in the navy in the engine room  i wore both ear plug and muffs. i was the first to notice when the sound of the equipment changed, signaling a potential failure.

I must say excellent point.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #25 - 12/30/10 at 23:31:47

for the same reason I never have the radio on in my car.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 12/30/10 at 23:33:28

Dooley wrote on 12/30/10 at 17:53:23:

& I have not been able to get that thot to "gell" in my mind, but at a gut level, Ive known that. I know Ive hear things that made me look, even over the S/trapp w/ 14 disks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Reply #27 - 12/31/10 at 13:27:37

I think all that would vote have so I will close the poll. Thanks all

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #28 - 12/31/10 at 17:34:20

Dooley wrote on 12/30/10 at 17:53:23:

I have to agree also.  I've worked in several steel mills, and ear plugs were mandatory.  Without plugs, the noise was deafening, you couldn't hear anything.  With them, you could carry on a conversation, hear stuff around you, etc.  I wear the same earplugs on the bike with an open helmet, even now that I have a windshield (unless it's just a short hop of a couple miles), because while the wind noise may not seem that bad, the effects accumulate after a while.  Not only does it damage your ears, but it wears you out faster, and fatigue can be deadly.

And I also agree, loud pipes are by no means a substitute for keeping your eyes open.  That's still your best defense.  But like a couple people stated, I'll take every advantage I can get to help people realize I'm there.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:49:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just want to know what people are thinking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.