No  
  18 (50%)
Undecided  
  5 (13.8%)

Total votes: 36
« Created by: Dooley on: 12/29/10 at 07:03:17 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just want to know what people are thinking (Read 321 times)
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Just want to know what people are thinking
12/29/10 at 07:03:17

I live in Florida and there are alot of older people and I think if they hear me they are more likely to see me. But I know some people think different.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: Just want to know what people are thinking
Reply #1 - 12/29/10 at 09:26:03

Older people like me cant see or hear. Someone on a cellphone is listening to a conversation and thinking what to say or text next, your loud pipes are tuned out.  Learning how to ride is your best defense. If you havent already MSF classes are a great place to start. I dont care how much you think you know, you'll learn something in a MSF class that might save your life.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/29/10 at 09:52:57

Loud pipes are just another annoying background noise, a LOUD HORN is a far better attention getter. Grin

The last cager that started coming in my lane got the full effect of my air horn. He got over very fast & slowed down until I was out of sight. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/29/10 at 10:21:20

Here’s an interesting thought to consider: it’s a fact that groups of bicycle riders who take up lane space and prevent cars from passing create animosity between some car drivers and the bicyclist. You have probably read stories about bicyclist getting run off the road intentionally etc…

Could loud pipes have a similar effect by creating animosity with some drivers (consciously or subconsciously) and negatively affecting the way they behave towards all motorcyclists?

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/29/10 at 10:37:03

also, noise travels behind you, so by the time I hear a motorcycle with loud pipes, it's way too late for me in my cage to maneuver away from them. and with radios and stereo systems being so loud, you can't depend on loud pipes to make people aware of you. just ride like you are invisible, because you are, even if they hear you, it'll take them awhile to locate the noise, like with emergency vehicles (ambulances, etc. . .) you may hear them but how long does it take you to visually find them?   and if you are just sitting beside someone with loud pipes making a bunch of noise, how annoying is that going to be for them? and how are they going to treat you after your rumble of your bike has disrupted their favorite song on the radio?  if loud pipes make you feel better, that might be worth it, but you aren't doing yourself any real favors by having them, learn to be defense, not offensive

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 12/29/10 at 10:40:01

My suggestion is to ride defensively and not rely on loud pipes. I agree with a loud horn better than loud pipes.
Then again I believe you should ride when alert and be on the defense at all times. I was given this advice and will pass it on to you. Always have an out.
Pipes that leave your ears as well as your head ringing several mins after it has passed seems to annoy people and yes make them have the nasty feelings towards all bikers. JMO for what it is worth.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 12/29/10 at 23:31:30

I voted a conditional "yes".  I don't believe in obnoxiously loud pipes, they annoy me too, but I liked having something louder than my stock Savage pipe.  Plus, it'd started whistling like a VW Beetle  Roll Eyes.  Yes, I realize people in front of you aren't going to hear it, only people behind you.  But, so will people beside you, and that's the whole reason I'm voting "yes".  Soon after I'd added the Dyna muffler to my Savage I had a lady start to drift into my lane in the middle of a two lane turn.  I goosed the throttle to get out of her way, and she heard it and moved back into her lane, with a sheepish look on her face I might add! Grin  So while I'm not gonna advocate straight pipes, I do like a little growl from my bike. Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/29/10 at 23:47:23

Well put John.

+1

I don't like "wake the dead" pipes either.  But if my louder than stock pipes can alert one more person on the street of my presence, then that's one more chance I got of making it home.

Loud is relative to the local too.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/30/10 at 00:03:53

verslagen1 wrote on 12/29/10 at 23:47:23:
Well put John.

+1

Sittin on the pad next to a shuttle launch, if you can hear it, its TOOO LOUD

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 12/30/10 at 12:30:21

As I was riding in the right lane over the Rt. 35 bridge out of Belmar, mrs big suv person decide to make her way into my lane. I was on the shoulder looking down (probably 10-15 stories) I opened up throttle and blew it out my Trapp. That got her to move over. So, yes, may have saved my life that night as well as a few more times.

FSO
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 12/30/10 at 12:36:13

I would say loud pipes and blowing the horn can scare some people and cause more harm than good.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/30/10 at 13:15:04

yet, all the incidents posted here about loud pipes saving lives are first initiated with the rider SEEING the offending vehicle and reacting to that. not the offending vehicle not doing something because of loud noise beside them ( I realize a non action is almost impossible to prove so kind of a no win situation for arguing for loud pipes with that argument) but again, the eyes of the rider saved their own lives, not the loud pipes, and the acceleration of the suzuki was important as well as the decision to accelerate, and depending on just a loud bark from supertrapp pipes to get someone's attention is scary man.  

if you like loud pipes for their noise, that's your personal choice, but I think assertion that loud pipes do anything to help "save lives" is dangerously misleading. it comes down to you, the rider, depending on someone else hearing you, instead of you, the rider, making a choice and/or action to save your own life.

riding smart is better than riding loud and proud anyday

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/30/10 at 13:17:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/30/10 at 00:03:53:
verslagen1 wrote on 12/29/10 at 23:47:23:
Well put John.

+1

Sittin on the pad next to a shuttle launch, if you can hear it, its TOOO LOUD

If you see a astronut sticking his arm out the window giving you a 1 finger salute, boy are you in trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 12/30/10 at 13:25:16

I like my motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle should sound.  I did not like the stock muffler.

I like my motorcycle to be quiet enough that the wife does not yell at me -- at least about that.

I prefer noise makers to be horns.  I use car horns, a pair, high/low tones, so that they sound like a Cadillac.  Most people do not CARE if your motorcycle hits them.  Most people DO care if a Cadillac is about to hit them.

The MAC is a little louder than I want.  I have a new 26" glasspack that should be better.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/30/10 at 13:32:04

LostArtist wrote on 12/30/10 at 13:15:04:
...riding smart is better than riding loud and proud any day

That can't be denied.  But all circumstances can not always be predicted ahead of time.

I've told this story a few times... riding down the freeway in 30 mph traffic, door knob to grip, bumper to wheel, I'm riding beside a darkly tinted sedan when he decides to change lanes.  We were eyeball to eyeball and he couldn't see me.  Right then and there is when I decided I needed a louder muf. and splitting traffic was safer.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:12:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just want to know what people are thinking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.