Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Today's dumbed down youth - 1895 8th grade exam (Read 196 times)
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Today's dumbed down youth - 1895 8th grade exa
Reply #15 - 12/21/10 at 15:20:07

heck i cant even win on smarter than a fifth grader.

i do remember the hard tests of the  60's

as far as the NEA union, it the policymakers not the actual teachers that are doing the dumb down.  

at least it provides job security as the new people don't know Jack

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #16 - 12/22/10 at 14:57:50

However, remember that in the 1890s a lower percentage of kids were going to school. The idea of child labor laws was new. A lot of kids either never went to school or were yanked out when they were 10 or so to go work in factories and fields. There wasn't a federal child labor law until 1938. If there were no child labor laws now, a lot of the kids who are disinterested in education would be working instead of dragging down a school's test scores.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #17 - 12/23/10 at 05:47:26

I'm confused.

1861-1865 was the War for Southern Independence, the War between the States or the Civil War ?

"Civil War" is how I studied it, and mind you, I studied it in Fairfax Co., Va., 1968-1973 ...  Roll Eyes

PS Lisbon is in Portugal...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #18 - 12/23/10 at 05:57:34

Col. Pescatori -

I don't use the phrase "Civil War" because it's technically incorrect.  A civil war is a conflict between two or more factions seeking to control or govern a country, often as a part of some sort of revolution.

The War For Southern Indepence is probably the most correct of the various names for that conflict, as it was the desire of the South to be independent from the United States.

Of course, some of our southern brethren prefer The War of Northern Aggression, although that term isn't as correct in my view, since it was the South that attacked a Northern outpost, Fort Sumpter, located in Charleston harbor, that began the hostilities.  Hence the South committed the first militarily aggressive act.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 12/23/10 at 06:46:39

Yes, I visited Fort Sumter (without the "p"  Wink) I believe I know, after all these years, I believe I remember quite a bit of American History.

I have toured 46 of the 48 Continental States, I believe I have missed only Maine and N.Dakota (we were in S.Dakota's Black Hills and asked a local tourist guide what there was to see in N.Dakota, she shrugged and replied "nothing, really, just a lot of ranches and a lot of snow in the winter" so my parents decided to head west to Yellowstone Ntn'l Park).

When I asked about the "Civil" War, it's because that's how you and I (and Lupo, I'm sure, just to name one) studied that conflict in school.
Revisionists have decided to give that conflict a different name, but any schoolbook printed in the 1970's or earlier will use that very expression.
Mind you, I ain't casting no stone, Europe is rife with Revisionists...  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/24/10 at 06:02:21

I think the term Civil War is justified, as in the end the union was preserved and it was indeed a war about who controls the union and the shape of the union, since in the end the south is part of this nation, eh, nevermind, Jerry's kinda right here   Tongue  but I think it should be called war of southern rebellion or revolution not independence, since they didn't win their independence, but the american revolutonary war we won,   FRACKING names!!!    Grin

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #21 - 12/24/10 at 06:22:33

LA -

There was a book written in the early 1960s that I read in college called, "If the South Had Won the Civil War".

Obviously hypothetical, but it had the following salient points:

1.  Westward expansion halted.  Arizona, New Mexico, California and Nevada were all part of Mexico.  Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington were all part of Canada.  Alaska remained part of Russia.

2.  CSA does away with slavery about 1890, as with the Industrial Revolution mechanizing agriculture, slaves were actually too expensive to keep, and the CSA's agricultural economy no longer needed them.

3.  Confederate States of American (CSA) and USA were allies in WW I against the Germans.  Relations between CSA and USA began warming now.

4.  Great Depression was really devastating, particularly in the CSA.

5.  CSA and USA were again allies in WW II.  Relations between USA and CSA really warmed up, and the two began cooperating on many domestic and foreign policy fronts.

6.  The book ended when it was written, again in the early 1960s, at the peak of the Cold War.  Russia owned Alaska, and Russian missiles were pointed at both USA and CSA, as well as at the major cities in Mexican California.

7.  At the end of the book, CSA and USA were engaged in negotiations to re-unite to combat the Soviet Union, which was even more of a super power since USA was a much smaller country without the West and the territory in the CSA.

Very interesting reading - sure, it's all speculation, but not too far off what may well have happened.  Thankfully, we'll never know, will we?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #22 - 12/24/10 at 14:32:33

Any you guys watch PBS. ?
it's about the only thing I watch,anyway next week 9pm Monday my time on the show "American Experience" examines the life and reputation of the scourge of the Union and hero of the Confedercy, Robert E.Lee, repeats Wed and Sunday check your local listings.
The following Monday @ 9 pm my time they will have the same kind of show all about US Grant also repeats as above,two good night of TV .
I have a huge book about that war and read every word I have a hard time trying to emagen that many men and boys killed in a civil war.I have no idea what was civil about it , perhaps as Jerry says "the war of northan agression " And what was just terrible was the way they each treated their POWs,these guys spoke the same language came to America all for the same reason or there parents did.it's truly amazing how man can be so violent to his fellow man. War Sucks.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 15:10:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Today's dumbed down youth - 1895 8th grade exam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.