Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dec 26th hard on your heart (Read 169 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Dec 26th hard on your heart
12/22/10 at 09:12:00

"December 26 is historically one of the most dangerous days of the year for people vulnerable to cardiac problems, including heart attacks, arrhythmias, and heart failure."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/22/hazardous.day.after.christmas/index.html...

Let's all be good to our hearts...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Dec 26th hard on your heart
Reply #1 - 12/22/10 at 10:59:21

This is also the time for lonely people to think about committing suicide. If you know of someone alone, do something nice for them. Older guy across the street from us lost his wife and also one of the dogs he's had for years. Spends most of his time alone drinking wine and smoking cigarettes. Sharon baked him pumpkin bread. I'll probably buy him a gallon of his favorite wine. The little things........

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/22/10 at 11:03:24

Yesterday someone burglarized an elderly couple. They called the cops & reported it. About 90 minutes later, the cops got another call, neighbor called & reported shots fired, same address. Both dead, murder/suicide.

Who knows what went on there? Maybe one blamed the other for the burglary happening. Maybe they lost so much & had no way to replace it they gave up.. people do some bad things,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 12/22/10 at 11:06:18

On a serious note, anyone with cardiac problems should avoid heavy, stuffing holiday meals.

The body funnels blood flow to the intenstines to digest such a meal, depriving other organs of their usually blood supply.

That's one reason why you're sleepy after a gut busting meal.

For people whose hearts are not getting normal blood supply anyhow due to blocked arteries, etc., this natural diversion of blood supply to the intenstines and away from the other organs, including the heart, can be fatal.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 12/22/10 at 11:45:44

True.

It is also true that the elderly have a tendency to revert to their childhood eating habits, so if someone's Scandinavian, by the age of 70 they'll be aching and craving for smoked herring...
...if one's English, he'll be craving for a proper steak&kidney pudding (the one with the batter made strictly with flour, salt and lard) or a chicken&leek pie...

My parents are on the "old" side of 70, and there's a marked change in their eating habits compared to 20 years ago (especially my mother's, she cooks, my Dad simply eats what's on the table)
So, no more healthy salads and steamed fish, now it's stewed sausages and pork chopsand potato salad ...
(my Mom's from Trieste, so it's actually Austrian cooking).

So, don't be surprised if the elderly stuff themselves with foods that, at their age,  "don't make sense", because they're simply going back to their childhood memories.

Photojoe, if that old neighbor of yours spends all his time smoking and drinking wine, buying him a gallon of his favorite is like giving him a derringer to play russian roulette (please forgive the pun)
Buy him something he'd like but can't afford, or, quite simply, cook him a tray of lean burgers or whatever he may like.

It could actually be cheaper and win you an even broader smile.
Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 12/22/10 at 11:49:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/22/10 at 11:03:24:
Yesterday someone burglarized an elderly couple. They called the cops & reported it. About 90 minutes later, the cops got another call, neighbor called & reported shots fired, same address. Both dead, murder/suicide.

Who knows what went on there? Maybe one blamed the other for the burglary happening. Maybe they lost so much & had no way to replace it they gave up.. people do some bad things,,

That's horrible!

Did you hear about the 3 kids that died in a trailer fire, in Ohio I think.  Mom was working, Dad was next door, they couldn't get in to save the kids.  The next day or so, the Grandparents (the Mom's parents) were driving in to help with funeral arrangements for the kids and had a car accident and died.  So this poor lady lost her 3 kids and her parents within days.   

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/22/couple-killed-on-way-to-plan-funerals-fo...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 12/22/10 at 12:19:22

babyhog wrote on 12/22/10 at 11:49:03:

That's horrible!

Did you hear about the 3 kids that died in a trailer fire, in Ohio I think.  Mom was working, Dad was next door, they couldn't get in to save the kids.  The next day or so, the Grandparents (the Mom's parents) were driving in to help with funeral arrangements for the kids and had a car accident and died.  So this poor lady lost her 3 kids and her parents within days.   

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/22/couple-killed-on-way-to-plan-funerals-fo...

God works in mysterious ways.

« Last Edit: 12/23/10 at 09:40:13 by mick »  

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 12/22/10 at 12:20:19

mick wrote on 12/22/10 at 12:19:22:
babyhog wrote on 12/22/10 at 11:49:03:

That's horrible!

your god works in mysterious ways.

you just couldn't resist, could you...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/22/10 at 13:07:56

I had a college friend who was telling his family story.
They all go to a funeral & stop in a restaurant on the way home. Dad dies, sitting at the table.

Year or so later, they have occasion to go to another funeral.
Stop at the same place on the way home.
Mom dies, at the table.

I knew the guy well enough to believe it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 12/22/10 at 13:16:16

Did the undertaker recommend that restaurant.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 12/22/10 at 14:20:38

bill67 wrote on 12/22/10 at 13:16:16:
Did the undertaker recommend that restaurant.  

Bill that is your best one yet ,LMAO  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/23/10 at 06:47:23

He never can BH....

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 12/23/10 at 06:58:35

BH -

That all happened right down the road from my town.

I have handled two cases involving fires in mobile homes.  I would live in a refirerator box under a bridge before I'd live in a trailer.  If they catch fire, it's like being in an oven.  Internal temperatures skyrocket far higher than any normal house fire.

I've seen very few trailer fires where people survived.

Also, I met a guy just this past Sunday who had his small airplane for sale.  Sunday night he had his diesel pickup plugged into one of those heated dipsticks that keeps the oil warn.

Something shorted out during the night, and his house burned to the ground.  The family all got out OK, but all possessions and the house were destroyed.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 12/23/10 at 07:06:47

Jerry, yes I saw later that the wreck happened on 23.  Driven that road many times myself.  I feel so bad for them.

And sorry to hear about that guy's trouble too, but glad they got out ok.  Strange stuff...

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 12/23/10 at 17:29:18

babyhog wrote on 12/22/10 at 09:12:00:
"December 26 is historically one of the most dangerous days of the year for people vulnerable to cardiac problems, including heart attacks, arrhythmias, and heart failure."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/22/hazardous.day.after.christmas/index.html...

Let's all be good to our hearts...  

bh, where does April 15th rank?  :'(

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 03:55:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dec 26th hard on your heart

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.