helmet opinions (Read 385 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Re: helmet opinions
Reply #15 - 12/09/10 at 22:04:53

Trippah wrote on 12/09/10 at 18:57:47:
and while, if necessary, you could try the try it on the bickfront and then save a bit through the net; we should all remember that if everyone does that, soon there will be no brickfronts to actually check something out.  Therefore, I only do the on line when I really have to.  Good luck with the helmet shopping wither way.

I totally agree with this.  When I go to a store to try their products, I will try to buy from them if I like it.  That's what I'm paying for: the ability to feel the product in my hands, and see if I like it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/11/10 at 10:49:59

I buy stuff locally, even when its easier or cheaper online, because if I dont, there wont be a local merchant to buy from one day. Id rather keep those dollars in town, & I try to spend my $$$ with locally owned & operated places. Theres a hardware store I like, not a Lowes or H/Depot, but a locally owned place. You cant get IN that place & make 20 feet before someone is asking how they can help.. a bit mo spendy, but Ill pay a premium to keep jobs & $$$$ in the community. The Big $$$ leaves to go to the owners of Lowes. of course, the employees checks stay in town, paying rent, buying gas & burgers, etc, so, I still appreciate the big box guyys, I just like the Indy owned more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 12/11/10 at 15:47:15

Boy do I feel dumb. I totally agree about buying locally, but I assumed by some posts that logan was going to buy off the net. I have three shops within 20 miles, and I live in a town of 3,500. The shop where I bought my helmet is noted for being snobbish, and indeed, I had to ask where the helmets were. The guy just said, "Over there." But the other two shops are great. And the prices are not over internet prices, even before shipping. BTW, my wife works for WalMart. They treat her well. And it is probably what keeps this little town going by paying taxes. I now consider them buying local. After all, most of us scream cheap whenever we shop. WalMart just gave us what we asked for. But back to helmets. I say buy as good as you can afford and wear it.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 12/11/10 at 17:24:43

And it is probably what keeps this little town going by paying taxes.

Did that little town spring up around a Wal-Mart? Or did that little town have stores that used to provide the merchandise now available at Wal_Mart , because there are no other stores around?

You mite be shocked, saddened, dismayed to hear this, but its not at all uncommon for townships to waive the taxes for a big business to come in, for several years, I guess so they can still make a profit while they undercut the locally owned & operated businesses & drive them out.

I shop locally owned & operated as much as I can. Bikes, hardware,, whatever. If I can fibnd a local merchant to supply my needs, not associated with any chain, Ill go there more often than not. Even IF I can get what I need cheaper at a chain,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #19 - 12/23/10 at 15:54:27

After you wear a helmet for a while it takes the shape of your head---I wouldn't recommend a used helmet for this reason. I wear a full face; I think it's Z1R flat black not all that comfortable---OK for me though.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 12/23/10 at 22:00:15

i've got three helmets, it all depends oh what type of ride i'm doing. winter full face all the way. bouncing around town in the heat a half helmet or a open faced with what ever eye shield i think will work best for the ride.
i never riide without. it was years ago, my wife bought me a gn 400 and i promised i would alway where, i walk of work on one of the first nights and right on the superslab in front of the mall a bus took out a rider, made quite impression on me.  
i really learned how to ride in the navy all over the south pacific, and never wore a helmet.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 12/24/10 at 00:18:13

Actually, Ive got 4 helmets. All the same make & model, just different sizes. I decide which one to wear based on how big of a Fat Head I am that day.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #22 - 12/24/10 at 04:05:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/24/10 at 00:18:13:
Actually, Ive got 4 helmets. All the same make & model, just different sizes. I decide which one to wear based on how big of a Fat Head I am that day.

I change from XL to 2XL depending on when I last got a haircut. Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 12/24/10 at 04:13:16

First, I don't think it is fair for anyone to "try on" a helmet locally, and then buy it elsewhere. If you don't like the price, either leave, or give them a chance to come w/in the internet price,....most times they will surprise you.
1 1/2 yrs ago I walked into my local MC shop, saw 1/2 helmets for $49-69, tried on a couple, bought one that fit fantastically ! $59 plus they throwed in a quick release that also works fantastically !

But, I'm still against the helmet laws, and would not wear one for my quick uptown runs if it wasn't law. In summer I ride in shorts and sneakers too.
I also I respect those who ride any way they feel comfortable.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 12/24/10 at 07:09:17

I look at walking in a store & using their inventory to allow you to go shop online & save $$$ as theft. Aint right, & aint gonna last, either. Better support those local places & keep your own community as healthy economically as you can. I buy online. I have a Smith torch & all thats available around here is Victor parts.  I buy stuff I cant get locally or the only suppliers are people I dont like. OR, if the $$$ difference is just too much to walk away from.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 15:17:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.