Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
helmet opinions (Read 385 times)
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

helmet opinions
12/08/10 at 18:37:23

Is BELL a good brand? I've seen their bicycle helmets, but what about the quality of their motorcycle helmets?

Also, what do u all think about this one:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/2096312802.html

Or if any of u have a helmet size small or medium for an affordable price, let me know.
T.I.A.

« Last Edit: 12/08/10 at 20:37:29 by logan31907 »  
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Re: helmet opinions
Reply #1 - 12/08/10 at 19:35:02

I have a brand new outlaw half helmet if you're interested

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/08/10 at 20:22:17

I'm looking for full face

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 12/08/10 at 20:47:24

I have to wear a helmet, so I have the minimum to meet the Law.  You are in Florida, if you do want a helmet you do not have to wear one.  Hence, you want to wear a helmet for protection, a full face helmet.  (Why even bother with a beanie?)  All DOT helmets will protect pretty nearly the same, what matters is how they fit.  A good fitted helmet will protect you, a poorly fitted helmet will have less protect.   You can only try a helmet on your head in a shop.  You can buy a helmet off the web, but only after you have tried on in a shop.  

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/08/10 at 21:31:34

Reports Ive read have stated that the expensive helmets dont do any better job. Ive got a helmet, just like the last helmet I had. & Now I cant think of the brand. But, I stuck my face in the cab corner of a small pickup, dented it, split my lip ( 2 stitches). The strap got shoved into my throat hard enoug It took a coupla weeks to be able to swallow w/o it hurting.Spent a hair over 100 I think,Its a flip face.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Daeldren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SC
Reply #5 - 12/09/10 at 03:29:35

Am I wrong or does that helmet say its a Suomy on the label.  If it is Suomy is a very well recognized helmet company.  But as its been said if it is a DOT approved full face you will most likely be protected, most of the higher pricing is based on exotic materials used and comfort.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 12/09/10 at 05:42:22

I got an AFX helmet on Ebay from Dennis Kirk's closeout store (DK-trader - http://stores.ebay.com/DK-Trader  )... brand new, for like $20, shipped!  They may be display models, closeouts, small scratches, etc, but I didn't care about that!  Mine had a couple light scuffs on top where it had been taken in and out of the box a few times, but I was ok with that.  

I buy from their website too, DennisKirk.com, and have always received the best service and great stuff.  Highly recommend them.

Also, I have done quite a bit of research on helmets and agree with Daeldren... the more expensive ones may be a little more comfortable, maybe more cool looking, etc, but protection doesn't increase nearly as drastically as the price does, if at all.  Some very inexpensive helmets have been proven to provide equal or better protection.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #7 - 12/09/10 at 05:57:17

I have a Vega Summit II modular for warm weather and a Vega Altura full face for winter with a face/neck gator......both were on-line purchases DOT approved the full face was $24 delivered from ironponymotorsports.com (close out normally $89) and the summit II was $89 delivered from jafrum.com (bought in the off season normally $139)

I was closterfobic (sp?) with a full face when i started riding in May 2010 so the flip face made me more comfortable and is great for getting some air at the stop lights in hot weather......I have bought several other flip face models from other suppliers for my step son who ridfes a scooter - the latch on the Vega Summit is substantial some of the other cheaper units found on ebay have whimpy/crappy latches that break very easily.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #8 - 12/09/10 at 06:22:00

The two ratings that I look for in a helmet are the DOT and Snell. DOT is mandatory and Snell is a voluntary, private standard used in the US. You can do your own research into the impact ratings of the different standards but if there are these two stickers associated with the lid it then comes down to form, fit and price for me.

I personally have a Modular full face, flip-up front. Have had my share of practical application lessons with physics, speed , velocity and gravity over the years. Also, living in the sunshine state where the speed limit on I95 happens to be the average age of the drivers, it just makes practical sense to keep the nut in it’s shell by the best possible means.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 12/09/10 at 10:23:26

People have told me that it's risky to buy used helmets, because you never know if the helmet has been dropped before. Anyone have thoughts on this?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 12/09/10 at 10:56:47

I think any motorcycle helmet is good for only 5 years or so, no matter if if you use it or not because the property of the foam inside is altered over time. And never buy a helmet that has been dropped or has a dent in it.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 12/09/10 at 17:40:53

logan, go to a shop and try one on and check prices. Then you'll know a good deal when you see it on the net. Helmet should fit fairly snug and you should not be able to pull it off forward or backward with the chin strap tightened. Mine is an AF655. $100 with clear shield. Little card inside basically said good to 13mph. Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
sexombob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/09/10 at 18:34:33

I hated my cheap fullface z1r helmet i purchased for $150 because of the high wind noise.  There was also a lot of air escaping into the helmet from the shield and the neck.  The air hitting my face dried my contacts and it made it uncomfortable.  

I purchased a high end Shark helmet and can honestly say, i will never buy a cheap helmet again.  The padding inside is extremely soft and comfortable.  It is dead quiet in highway speeds.  It is also DOT and ECE approved, and weigh a lot less.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 12/09/10 at 18:57:47

Logan, I should think a full face helmut might be a bit hot in the summer down in FLA.  I've always worn 3/4 but haven't slid face down yet (and hope never to do so) so I can't really speak to effectiveness.

and while, if necessary, you could try the try it on the bickfront and then save a bit through the net; we should all remember that if everyone does that, soon there will be no brickfronts to actually check something out.  Therefore, I only do the on line when I really have to.  Good luck with the helmet shopping wither way.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 12/09/10 at 19:37:00

I have a ff hjc modular. I have only worn it once so far and already am in love with it.
I have gone down and hit my jaw on pavement. Had it not been for a ff my jaw would have been broken.
This new helmet is very quiet and was a little spendy at $190.00. That is not as high as some helmets I have come across.
I would recommend never buying a used helmet and anytime it is dropped or in an accident, replace immediately.
The only thing I would change about my new helmet is the color. It is black and I would rather had Pink. Oh well it is not the color that protects my head.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:05:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.