Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
problems with the fuzz (Read 514 times)
wayne929
YaBB Newbies

fort myers
problems with the fuzz
12/05/10 at 09:26:07

ok so i live on college campus and the campus police seem to find new and inventive ways to pull thee kid on the noisy motorcycle over. Mpst recent one was last night and i was riding with my girlfriendnabbed me for not having handles for her to hold onto. i wasnt aware this was a law? their no place to put them for practicality. just wondering if anyones even heard of this...

Go Faster, So the Thrill of Speed Overcomes the Fear of Death
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: problems with the fuzz
Reply #1 - 12/05/10 at 09:27:41

did you tell them that she can hold onto your love handles? That's where my wife holds on.

IP Logged
wayne929
YaBB Newbies

fort myers
Reply #2 - 12/05/10 at 09:33:24

haha yes actually word for word. (he didnt find it as amuzing as me and my girlfriend did)

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 12/05/10 at 09:42:36

There is a strap on the seat of many european models of motorcycles, but I haven't seen any on USA versions recently. I'd ask them for the specific MV code there are stopping you under, then remember state rules cannot trump federal rules for motor vehicles. If the Feds do not require it, then the state cannot add it in. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 12/05/10 at 09:46:40

I think that's what the back rest is for.
But to resolve the issue with Mr. Big... put a small belt around the front of the pillion.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/05/10 at 10:00:47

Max_Morley wrote on 12/05/10 at 09:42:36:
There is a strap on the seat of many european models of motorcycles, but I haven't seen any on USA versions recently. I'd ask them for the specific MV code there are stopping you under, then remember state rules cannot trump federal rules for motor vehicles. If the Feds do not require it, then the state cannot add it in. Max

Not so. If your local regulations are more stringent than federal regulations you're required to follow local regulations. Try getting inspected in california and explaning that you dont need CA emissions equipment because the federal govt doesnt require it. And im pretty sure you're required federally to have hand holds for passengers on MCs, its just never enforced.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/05/10 at 10:57:39

You mite want to get a copy of the laws &  anonymously get them over to the great guardians of society.

Heres what I found.

Motorcycle Laws in Florida
These motorcycle statutes are for Florida only and are offered only for general background purposes. Because laws are frequently amended they should not be relied upon without reviewing your legal situation with an experienced motorcycle lawyer. Other statutes and laws may also apply.
316.2095 Footrests, handholds, and handlebars.

(1) Any motorcycle carrying a passenger, other than in a sidecar or enclosed cab, shall be equipped with footrests for such passenger.

(2) No person shall operate any motorcycle with handlebars or with handgrips that are higher than the top of the shoulders of the person operating the motorcycle while properly seated upon the motorcycle.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 166, ch. 99-248; s. 5, ch. 2005-164; s. 12, ch. 2006-290.

Note.--Former s. 316.278.

The McMillen Law Firm represents motorcycle accident victims throughout Florida, including Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Bradenton, Clearwater, Daytona Beach, Fort Myers, Fort Pierce, Kissimmee, Melbourne, Miami, Naples, Panama City, Pensacola, Sarasota, St. Augustine, St. Petersburg, Sebring, Tallahassee, Vero Beach, and West Palm Beach, and the counties of Bay, Brevard, Broward, Collier, Dade, Duval, Escambia, Highlands, Hillsborough, Indian River, Lee, Leon, Manatee, Martin, Miami, Orange, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pinellas, Polk, St. John�s, St. Lucie, Sarasota, Stuart, and

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/05/10 at 11:30:24

BurnPgh wrote on 12/05/10 at 10:00:47:
Max_Morley wrote on 12/05/10 at 09:42:36:

Not so. If your local regulations are more stringent than federal regulations you're required to follow local regulations. Try getting inspected in california and explaning that you dont need CA emissions equipment because the federal govt doesnt require it. And im pretty sure you're required federally to have hand holds for passengers on MCs, its just never enforced.

If your bike is not registered in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, they can not hold you to certain requirements as long as you're a non-resident. I worked in Kalifornia for 156 days and had to get a safety inspection on my 1979 F-100. No emissions on the truck at all (Va doesn't require it on trucks as mandatory till 1984 and then only on 1/2 ton truck till 1987). No converter, no air pump. Since it was registered in Va, I was null to the visual as well as the sniffer aspect of the inspection.

If it didn't come with it from the factory, it isn't needed. All the bike has to do is pass the NHSTAB safety requirements for that year, and that year alone. There are very few bikes that come with 'grab rails' as standard equipment anymore. And the little leather strap on the seat is for jackets/clothing/small parcels, not as a means of passenger restraint. State law does not dictate safety equipment standards on motor vehicles....only the use of factory installed safety equipment. You don't have to have a seat area for a passenger to ride one on the back, but you must have passenger pegs. NHSTAB required all road going motorcycles to have left side shift/right side brake controls starting in 1975....does that mean that all pre 1975 Sportsters and Brit bikes have to be converted?? Hell no, same with a 'grab rail'. In Virginia, we don't have to run any lights in the day time-as long as the bike came from the factory with a separate on off switch or uses non-factory parts. We also do not have to run a front brake on any motorcycle made before 1972.... All you have to do is go to a dealer and see how many bikes have 'grab rails' as standard equipment or go to your state website and look at the safety inspection requirements for motorcycles-there will be an exclusion date for any 'new' laws. And campus police have state police powers, they know nothing of federal laws....if they did, you'd be wearing a green reflective belt (40 square inches minimum and can be seen for 360*) ............

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 12/05/10 at 11:44:28

Here in Wa State, you must have passenger pegs and seat if carrying a passenger. Nothing about grab rails.
Also if you have a windshield there is no requirements for eye protection, yet helmet is required.
Insurance is not mandatory either.
These were just a few of the requirements that were listed. These are according to the A.M.A.

Here with the Navy as well as the Air Force bases, their are requirements such as a reflective coat or vest when approaching the grounds, as well as you must have a base sticker on either your windshield or bike somewhere.
kim

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/05/10 at 12:05:38

FL Requires the following:
Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Age Restriction None

"And Dat's the Name of Dat Tune!"

Fuzz? What year is this? Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 12/06/10 at 05:55:48

Dar da Fuzz man !
That rings a bell,.....about 40-50 yrs ago now ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 12/06/10 at 07:15:23

did they cite you for it and if so how much was it? Seems that they are trying to get you no matter what.

IP Logged
wayne929
YaBB Newbies

fort myers
Reply #12 - 12/06/10 at 07:22:25

no just a friendly reminder. they seem to find new and exiting things to get me for but i almost called bs on this one. im going to get 2 cabinet handles today and put them on the fender inbetween the seats on the sides.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/06/10 at 07:23:58

Why? Make them show ya the law.. dont let them just start making up new laws. Theyll have ya walking backwards & humming a tune if you dont make them obey the law.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wayne929
YaBB Newbies

fort myers
Reply #14 - 12/06/10 at 07:27:37

yea but getting pulled over everytime i ride gets quite annoying not to mention im nineteen and even though we are all equal here in america, us young guys seem to not hold up in court as well. or seemingly treated by the big man the same

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 08:59:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › problems with the fuzz

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.