Got another Savage (Read 372 times)
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Got another Savage
Reply #15 - 12/02/10 at 09:17:54

yep, guns and bikes can be addictive.

but at least you don't have a wife or girlfriend, they can be real costly..........

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #16 - 12/02/10 at 09:55:27

buttgoat1 wrote on 12/02/10 at 09:17:54:
yep, guns and bikes can be addictive.

but at least you don't have a wife or girlfriend, they can be real costly..........

A wife or girlfriend who is interested in guns as much as we are can be "more" costly. Beats the alternative, and I wouldn't have it any other way. At least I have no problems trying to decide what gifts to buy her.

FSO
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/02/10 at 10:38:27

momma needs a new 9mm!
lemme try it out first
lol

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 12/02/10 at 11:02:47

you guys are too funny.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 12/02/10 at 11:24:12

Yep, and some of us are way past funny when it comes to gun stuff.   Savage Accutriggers are pretty good out of the box and people disrespect the standard Savage trigger a lot because of the Accutrigger.

But them old style gun nuts have been working triggers for DECADES now and understand how to make a bright shiny ruby out of a sow's ear.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2735&highlight=stevens+7mm-08

I have guns with Accutrigger and the standard Savage trigger and have worked both -- maybe it is practice, but I can get a cleaner break and less over travel and creep out of a reworked standard Savage trigger than a reworked Accutrigger.   Accutrigger winds up with some laterial motion in it that cannot be removed safely.

Best trigger I own is a reworked Timmney on an old Swedish Mauser -- set up for target it breaks like glass.   I just wish the gun shot on par with the trigger as it is what it is, an old military rifle.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #20 - 12/02/10 at 11:59:12

I'm excited...  hubby sighted the gun in today.  Said it would drive nails!!  We swapped out the scope that came with it because it didn't give me enough eye relief.  Problem this time of year is that its almost dark by the time I get home from work, and definitely can't get to the shooting range before Saturday.  Good news is we have a lot behind where I work that goes back into the woods.  Boss man said I could go back there after work this evening.  So in a few hours, I'll actually get to shoot the darn thing!   Will let you all know what I think of it then.

Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #21 - 12/02/10 at 15:59:01

I have had good luck with Savage rifles both center fire and rimfire. Never shot one with the accu-trigger so can't comment on them. My Savage Mark II in 17Mach2 is deadly on them evil lil tree rats. I have to watch it, my girlfriend loves to go riding on the back of the bike and has asked me to teach her how to shoot.  Smiley

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 12/02/10 at 17:55:02

Well, I got to shoot a few rounds, maybe 20.  Wow!!  Ok, guys, I'm a small gal, and the only rifles I've ever shot (and ever wanted to shoot) were small .22's.  So I am by all means a very novice shooter.  But the good news is, my first shot was just a few inches right of the target.  Maybe 8".  I was excited by that.  It only got better after that.  We stayed at about 100 yards out.  Hubby put his bipods on it, which made it alot easier.  I shot from the tailgate of the truck, from a hip-high stump (bipods on top, and knelt beside it and used it as a side brace), from sitting on my arse, and from laying flat on my belly.  I was comfortable in all positions.  The gun didn't kick at all, but it is pretty loud!  The trigger was fine.  I was worried it would be real tight and I'd have to squeeze too hard, but I was comfortable with it.  I must say I was impressed with the accuracy of the gun.  I'm still not perfectly steady, but I felt really good about it.  My final grouping was about 3-4".  He said that was great for a newbie like me.
Now, if I can only get a deer to hold still long enough for me to set up on him!  LOL     

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 12/02/10 at 18:04:07

My final grouping was about 3-4"

At around 100 yards? & Youre okay with that? You otta be gigglin,, cuz thats just OOOOtayy right there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 12/02/10 at 18:14:31

Yeah, that's perfectly sufficient to blow up a few deer skulls  Wink

Please use good hearing protection and don't end up like me, with a permanent case of tinnitus. It's hell.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 12/02/10 at 18:29:13

The Harsh Rule of the Paper Plate

Shooting off hand, like you are likely really gonna have to be shooting while hunting, shoot at a deer no further away than you can hit a paper plate every single time.

How do you find this out?   Tack up some paper plates on trees going out along your shooting lane, pick one that you can hold the cross-hairs on while standing up resting the gun on nothing.  Just you and the gun.

Plug it 3 times, then move on in series to the plates further out until you miss one of the 3 shots.  Concentrate, shoot that plate until you get a total of 5 successful times in a row.

You now know your real "upright" hunting range for a deer.   It is nowhere near what the gun can do or you can do sitting down, leaning against a tree, etc, etc.   Sometimes it is shocking to you to find it out just what your upright paper plate range really is.

My paper plate range has come swooping down since my eyes got bad and my shoulders have started to hurt -- so far in now that I am ashamed to go shooting with young people who can hold and hit at ranges 3-5 times what I can do now.

I used to be able to shoot a open sighted .357 Ruger further accurately (kill a crow type accurate) further than I can shoot an open sighted rifle now.

My scopes must have readily refocusable near and far end bells and I have to fiddle with both to get a clear sight picture for any given distance.

And I used to be a really good shot ....      Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #26 - 12/02/10 at 18:31:16

Bought my wife a Savage 243 a few years ago. I bore sighted it and it took 3 shots to zero it in. Its the most accurate out of the box gun I've ever bought. I bought a Savage 17HMR a couple of years ago and I havent even shot it yet. Best gun for the money ever!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 12/03/10 at 00:07:22

or you can just staple the paper plate to the deer

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #28 - 12/03/10 at 05:37:32

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.  I really do appreciate it all.    

OF, since being new to this rifle hunting stuff, I have a couple of options for hunting that won't require me to shoot off-hand just yet.  I have a couple platforms in trees with rails that I will be able to use, and a little wooden built blind with window openings where I will be able to rest the gun.  I wouldn't dream of attempting an off-hand shot at a deer yet.  That's why I snagged hubby's bipods, heck, he doesn't need them... lol  If necessary, I know I can kneel down and still make a pretty good shot too.  If the deer is running, I'll let him take it instead!   Wink

But after first of the year, I will do your little paper plate exercise, and let you know how it goes.

Midnight, we almost bought the 243.  Actually, that's what we were looking for.  But they didn't have it in stock, and I fell for the camo on this one.  I'm glad to hear such good comments about this gun out of the box.  Read several online reviews that said about the same thing.  For an inexpensive rifle (but not cheapo), I'm pleased so far.

now where did I leave my stapler?   Undecided

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #29 - 12/03/10 at 05:49:38

Boule’tard wrote on 12/02/10 at 18:14:31:
Please use good hearing protection and don't end up like me, with a permanent case of tinnitus. It's hell.

I'm a member of the tinnitus club also. Yes, it is hell. Need to fall asleep to the TV with the timer set to kill the ringing. Penalties of my youth.

Enjoy your new Savage BH. Save those pumpkins and other fruit and veggie stuff to blow up during practice. Cheap canned soda and water jugs filled with kool-aid (or water/food dye) are fun too.

How about some gun pictures in this thread?

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:20:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got another Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.