Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Non-motorcycle - Woodworking (Read 59 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Non-motorcycle - Woodworking
11/29/10 at 14:50:29

Since we have so many folks here with so many talents, I thought this was as good a place as any to get my answer.

I've mentioned that my hubby and I are building a cabin.  I have decided (one way or another) I'm going to make my own hand-railing for the stairs and loft.  Trees are plentiful on the property, plus I have many other sources.  I bought an old (not antique, but not new) drawknife at our local flea market, and I've been playing around with it.  I also bought a new tenon cutter and forstener bit.  My question is about the drawknife.  It needs sharpened, and I've Googled and found a few methods and suggestions, but some are conflicting.  So I'm asking here -- anybody have any experience with a drawknife and how should I sharpen it?

TIA

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Non-motorcycle - Woodworking
Reply #1 - 11/29/10 at 14:57:52

If it was mine, I would take it to my buddy, he can sharpen anything.  Sorry, I know I am no help.   Sad

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 11/29/10 at 15:05:59

I have two draw knives ,I sharpen mine with a very fine grit stone, put one end on a chair between your legs ,holding the other end upright ,work the stone downwards, if there is a saw and knife sharpener in your neck of the woods use him.
The other thing ,it's a bad idea to use new wood for any building job,you have to season it for at least a year, I do alot of wood turning
and I made the mistake of making a few bowls with green wood and all of they split after a couple of months.
There is a solution you can buy to mix with water ,soak your wood in it for a week and it's good to go after it dries out. but you have to have a long bin to soak the wood in, Do you have a draw knife Bench ?
You can buy plans on how to make one they are very easy, just google "draw knife bench"

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 11/29/10 at 15:17:13

Gee thanks Mike!   Wink

Thanks mick.  Do you recommend doing the back of the blade (flat side) first, then move to the front beveled side?  And have you used leather after the stone?  Any oils or anything like that?

I'm not cutting down any standing trees.  The ones I am starting with were downed within the last 3 years, when my sister-in-law built their house.  Ones that haven't rotted of course.  I have heard of the stuff to cure green wood too though.  I'm still trying to decide what species of log I even want to use.  Playing with beech at the moment.  It looks nice.    
I don't have a bench/horse yet, but I did see plans for building one, so that's on the list too!  haha  
Heck, if I get good at this, I'd love to build our bed frame, and a couple little end tables, etc.  Toilet paper holder looks easy enough to start with!  

Thanks again

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 11/29/10 at 16:14:01

babyhog wrote on 11/29/10 at 15:17:13:
Gee thanks Mike!   Wink

Thanks mick.  Do you recommend doing the back of the blade (flat side) first, then move to the front beveled side?  And have you used leather after the stone?  Any oils or anything like that?

I'm not cutting down any standing trees.  The ones I am starting with were downed within the last 3 years, when my sister-in-law built their house.  Ones that haven't rotted of course.  I have heard of the stuff to cure green wood too though.  I'm still trying to decide what species of log I even want to use.  Playing with beech at the moment.  It looks nice.    
I don't have a bench/horse yet, but I did see plans for building one, so that's on the list too!  haha  
Heck, if I get good at this, I'd love to build our bed frame, and a couple little end tables, etc.  Toilet paper holder looks easy enough to start with!  

Thanks again

I just checked out mine and mine has an edge like a regular knife, after using a stone I always use a butchers steel, works for me.
Get your self a used table saw.You will need a wood lathe if you are making round stuff like TP holders and bed frames. I have one but it would cost more to ship than it's worth,besides it was my dads ,so my son will get it .

mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 11/29/10 at 16:34:12

Thanks again.   Have table saws and chainsaws, etc. Don't want perfectly round, so I don't think I need a lathe...  

I'm talking about stuff like this.

Isn't this just too cute?

Ahhhhhhhh...

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/29/10 at 16:57:22

very dainty and feminine, Grin Grin
When I sharpen my chisles which have a flat side and an edge side sharpen the sloping edge first, then the flat side will just need a couple of swipes.
The TP holder made me laugh, It looks like a statue honoring the great toilet roll,in all it's splender.
You really are a country gal aint cha ?
That in itself makes you cuter. Wink

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:01:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Non-motorcycle - Woodworking