photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
CPR course
11/26/10 at 05:45:54

Took the health provider CPR and Defibrillator course recently, and got my card. Taking this simple four hour course teaches how to perform CPR on everyone from infants to adults. I'll be taking the first aid course before the year is out as well.

This is really good stuff to know, especially for people living high risk lifestyles like riding motorcycles, shooting guns or simply driving a car (high risk in my area).

I'm preparing to leave the business I'm in now, and will be taking the Basic EMT course, hopefully in January. Don't know what part of the field I'm going to end up in, just learning and getting certs. for as much as I can right now. I want to take the NRA RSO orientation and course also.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: CPR course
Reply #1 - 11/26/10 at 08:05:17

Photojoe said

I'm preparing to leave the business I'm in now, because print media has lost its readers to the point that news photographers just cant make a living any more.

Well, he Almost said that.

Is that pretty much It Joe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 11/26/10 at 08:56:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/26/10 at 08:05:17:
Photojoe said

I'm preparing to leave the business I'm in now, because print media has lost its readers to the point that news photographers just cant make a living any more.

Well, he Almost said that.

Is that pretty much It Joe?

I've been thinking about this move for quite a while. Although I have a full time job with a small news service that is very successful, I'm just not happy anymore. After 16 years in the business, my passion for photography is dead. Hey, these things happen. It's not a bad thing. I've experienced so much cool stuff in the time I've been shooting, but it's over. Time to move on to something else.

Regarding the CPR course, I would suggest any rider considering taking one. We never know when it'll come in handy, either while on the road or at home should someone need it. It's only 4 hours. I'd rather use my minutes performing CPR while waiting for the EMT's to get here, rather than just holding the person's hand telling them it'll be OK.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/26/10 at 10:17:42

Its NOT sad. If your heart is no longer thrilled to do what you Used to love, then its time to move on. Ive learned things & accomplished thigs I thot Id always love doing,, not so, some stuff I got enough of quickly, some stuff I still dig, To be honest, I thot Id be happy to learn some home electrical work,, well, Im happy enough to save the $$$, but Id rather wash dishes & clean a toilet than wire up 2 wall outlets. I hate it,, I can do it, I just dont dig it at all...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 11/27/10 at 05:09:09

I took the course several years ago but let it laps. My concern was liability. If you happen on an incident, are qualified, and don't give aid, you can be sued. If you do give aid and make a mistake, you can be sued. If you give aid after being told by the person not to, you can be charged with assault. We were advised of the legal issues during the course. I much prefer (cold hearted as it may be) having the choice of whether or not to give aid.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 11/27/10 at 07:54:02

arteacher wrote on 11/27/10 at 05:09:09:
I took the course several years ago but let it laps. My concern was liability. If you happen on an incident, are qualified, and don't give aid, you can be sued. If you do give aid and make a mistake, you can be sued. If you give aid after being told by the person not to, you can be charged with assault. We were advised of the legal issues during the course. I much prefer (cold hearted as it may be) having the choice of whether or not to give aid.

The instructors did talk about liability. My feeling, if I ever find myself in a situation where a person needed CPR, I wouldn't worry about a lawsuit.

FSO
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #6 - 11/27/10 at 12:05:50

If you ever do get the chance to perform CPR on an actual person, you will be surprised by how different it feels than the dolls in the class.  You will feel the rib cartilage popping and grinding as it lets go of the bones.  There is much more resistance on a big man with a barrell chest too, even more than you would expect.  And be prepared to hear his last breath leave his body when you start chest compressions or reposition him to the floor.

I am a first responder with my volunteer fire department.  I am batting 1.000 - they have all died.  This is due to the fact that we don't get called quick enough.  The victim's best chance is if it is a witnessed arrest and the call and CPR are done immediately.

So more people trained is a good thing; we will all have a better chance then.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 11/27/10 at 14:22:40

If a person has no pulse and not respiration, *anything* would be better than nothing.  Just be sure there is no pulse and not respiration.

Defibrillators are neat toys.  I even have one built it!

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/27/10 at 18:37:47

I did the course a few years ago,in the class room the instructor was showing how to do mouth to mouth resperation, after the gal got up off the floor after I had supposidly baught her back to life,and she asked the instructor "If it was right to put your toungue in while doing it"  the instructor sent me home sans certificate. he said "Dont ever come back " not very nice was he ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 11/28/10 at 06:06:07

Joe, I commend you for planning a career change.  At our age, that's no small feat.  
My son recently completed college in Paramedic Science.  He recently got on part-time with one of our county EMT services.  He loves it.  I think it takes a special kind of person to do that work, so if you are interested in it, I say go for it!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 11/28/10 at 06:36:21

babyhog wrote on 11/28/10 at 06:06:07:
Joe, I commend you for planning a career change.  At our age, that's no small feat.  
My son recently completed college in Paramedic Science.  He recently got on part-time with one of our county EMT services.  He loves it.  I think it takes a special kind of person to do that work, so if you are interested in it, I say go for it!

Thanks BH. Yes, it's all about volunteering, which is a good way to start. Need the 120 hour course to get Basic EMT certification. Tough for me because one of the course days falls on a work day for me.

I really want to drive the ambulance. You know, with the siren and lights Cheesy Has to be the kid in me Wink

Going to stay with the company I'm with now, but continue forward with hopes of landing in some type of job where I hope I'll be happy. 50 years old and starting anew. I guess I do have one career left in me.

FSO
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 11/28/10 at 21:46:50

Joe, Did they teach you the new way to just do compressions and not worry so much about the oxygen level? Tried on my dad May 23, 1988. I heard his ribs pop, but EMT said not to worry. It happens. Didn't work, but I tried.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 11/29/10 at 04:45:53

At least you were there for your Dad Boofer. During the course, they let us know that we'll hear a bunch of cracking noise when doing compressions.

Yes, they did mention compressions only, especially is a situation where there may be blood on the mouth. Also, now it's 30 compressions not 15. So, 2 breaths first if we're able, check pulse, 30 compressions and repeat.

FSO
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #13 - 11/29/10 at 06:58:43

As for liability, check with some lawyer in your own state.  Many states have Good Samaritan laws that shield first responders of all sorts, from a volunteer to a doctor who happens to be there.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/29/10 at 14:20:18

My wife was an EMT.  Just be aware that this is a tough job with a high suicide and alcoholism rate, many EMT's burnout after a few years.  You will have toddlers, teens, pregnant women and young men literally die in your hands.  You will crawl into flipped cars in the rain at 3 a.m. full of teenagers and decide who gets out first and lives and who waits and likely dies, and you won't even know how many are there and all you have is a small flashlight.  You will have to ignore the pain of others, if they're screaming they're breathing, move on to the next one, and believe with all your heart and soul you are their best and only hope, if you couldn't save them no one could.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:13:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › CPR course

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.