Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Teaching emergency procedures (Read 222 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Teaching emergency procedures
Reply #15 - 11/15/10 at 18:24:50

bill67 wrote on 11/15/10 at 15:27:58:
When I was young we all a spinners at one time or another,I think a person with one arm is used to doing things with one arm and they most likely are extra careful when driving.

Gort sent me a spinner because of my left hand ,works great, now all I need is a left eye,don't have one of those eather,but I get by,I have been blind in my left eye for 15 years, never had a wreck, I did have a fender bender when I had two eyes.
Oh oh ! I wonder if thumper clone is going to send me to the tall table?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 11/16/10 at 05:22:42

Jerry, I haven't ridden with my aunt in years, but I would say she should NOT have been driving.  But she didn't have much choice, and I'm sure she thought she was perfectly capable.  In her younger years, she and my other aunt (her sister) had the only car in their little group of women friends.  They drove all the little old ladies to church, to the store, wherever.  She was a capable driver.  But that was then.  Had State Farm insurance for 54 years without an accident.  I think that says something.  But how do you tell an old person when it is time to hang up the keys?  A few years ago, WV started vision testing any time you renew your driver's license.  I did it in July.  At least this does help catch some older folks whos vision has gotten worse.  Worked on my father-in-law, because he couldn't pass the test.  Maybe they need a reflex test of some sort.  One of those simulated driving booths... see how folks react to deer, children, unforeseen obstacles.... wouldn't that be interesting?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 11/16/10 at 05:38:40

BH -

Yep, the worst time of life, IMHO, comes when we have to hang up something we've done for our lifetimes, whether it's driving, riding, flying in my case, working at a job we love, or a lot of other things.

There are no easy or simple answers to these conundra.

But as hard as it is to face, that time does come for all of us, assuming we live long enough to see our capabilties decline.  Experience and wisdom can compensate for a decline in physical abilities for a while, but not forever.

Just watch your aunt, and don't allow her to become a threat to herself or others on the road.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 11/16/10 at 06:46:25

Jerry
I haven't talked to her, and I need to check on her, but I don't think she will be driving any more.  It scared her in a big way (as well it should have)

Realistically, how long do you think you will be able to fly?  What will be the prime factor that makes you stop?  Might be something good to discuss with your daughter, so she can "gently" say "Dad, this is the time you told me would come..."

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #19 - 11/16/10 at 06:54:39

BH -

I don't know the answer to your question.  For sure, jets and heavy transport airplanes are already in my past, more for the fact the the gov't doesn't give me any nowadays <g>.  I'm a long way from affording either on my own.

I'm 63, so I think I should have another 10 years anyhow.  All I fly now are very small airplanes, like an Aernca L-16, if you know airplanes at all.

At my airport, we have two guys in their early 80s who still fly safely, but they only fly locally around the airport in perfect weather without any meaningful wind.

My daughter is also a pilot, as is her mother, although neither of them is truly active at it.  But I have no fear that they'll tell me when it's time - my daughter especially is not one to mince her words.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #20 - 11/16/10 at 09:58:35

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/16/10 at 06:54:39:
BH -

I don't know the answer to your question.  For sure, jets and heavy transport airplanes are already in my past, more for the fact the the gov't doesn't give me any nowadays <g>.  I'm a long way from affording either on my own.

I'm 63, so I think I should have another 10 years anyhow.  All I fly now are very small airplanes, like an Aernca L-16, if you know airplanes at all.

At my airport, we have two guys in their early 80s who still fly safely, but they only fly locally around the airport in perfect weather without any meaningful wind.

My daughter is also a pilot, as is her mother, although neither of them is truly active at it.  But I have no fear that they'll tell me when it's time - my daughter especially is not one to mince her words.

Jerry don't you have to pass a physical every year ? or is that just for
commercial pilots ?

mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/16/10 at 10:20:10

Nobody had to teach me how to drive out of a slide. I took my car out to Buffalo Wallow & ran hell out of it on the dirt. Always hot rodding corners & then, when I was in my 20's, I went to an icy, snowy lot & tried the Rockford turn around, then on a wet one, some time later, then, I tried it on a dry spot. NOTE* IF yer gonna try it, make sure the front tires are aired up pretty good...It got a bit spooky the first time, after that, it was cake. Also, knowing where on the road the tires are is important. The ability to dodge a hazard & not move the wheel more than necessary is important. Learn to run over plastic bottles & aluminum cans, then learn to just clip them & make them slide. Learn to run over stuff with the right rear, in a turn & youve pretty got the sense of where on the road your tires are.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #22 - 11/16/10 at 13:03:53

Mick -

Physicals are required for some operations and not others.  Here is the basic rule:

1.  Airline captains, every 6 months with an EKG every year after age 40.

2.  Other commercial pilots, like corporate pilots, airline co-pilots, once every year, no EKG required.

3.  Private pilots every two years, unless under age 40, then every 5 years.

4.  Sport pilots require only a valid driver's license, no other physical required.

6.  For gliders and balloons, no physical of any kind required; pilot self certifies.

The physical for private pilots is the easiest, for airline captains the toughest, and for other commercial pilots it's in between in difficulty.

For a typical private pilot physical, as long as your heart is normal, your urinalysis shows no sugar or albumin, hearing is normal, and eyesight is correctible to 20/30; you pass.

The physicals have to be administered by FAA approved doctors who are called Aviation Medical Examiners.  Any doc can be approved by taking a course in the basics of aviation medicine that the FAA puts on in Oklahoma City that lasts for 4 weeks.

So, the docs who go thru that training generally do it out of the love of flying.  Taking 4 weeks off work, plus hotel and meals for 4 weeks ain't cheap, and the physical generally costs the pilot about $150 at most AME offices, plus the EKG if required.  Most all AMEs are pilots themselves, although the FAA doesn't require them to be.

Of course, the main thing they look for is any heart issue that could result in sudden incapacitation.  A pilot can get re-certified after a heart attack, by-pass surgery, or stents, but he/she has a lot of testing to do every year.  The only thing that is an absolute no-no is mental illness - develop that and the pilot is finished.  Mild depression doesn't disqualify for life, but the pilot must wait 5 years after getting off all medications and cleared by his treating doctor.  Any more serious mental issue like attempted suicide or psychosis disqualifies for life.

The FAA has gotten a lot more realistic in the past 10 years.  Now an insulin dependent diabetic can get certified as a private pilot, but not commercial.  He has to test his blood sugar every hour while in flight and if it reaches a certain level, he must land at the nearest airport and dis-continue that flight, and be grounded until he stabilizes again.

You can get waivers for things such as being one-eyed by passing a little flight test to show the FAA that you have the depth perception needed to make a normal appraoch and landing.

People who are color blind can fly, but not at night, because at night the colors of the position lights on the plane indicate which way it is going, and runway and taxiway lights are color coded, and control towers use colored lights, like traffic lights, in the event that the airplane has a radio failure and can't talk to the tower.

Hope that basically answers your question.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #23 - 11/16/10 at 22:50:19

Jerry, Basically a yes or no would have serficed,but thanks anyway Wink

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #24 - 11/16/10 at 22:52:39

Go ahead Jerry you can call me a little smartass,I know you just said that,didn't you ? Grin

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #25 - 11/17/10 at 05:50:09

Mick -

A Yes or No wouldn't have sufficed, becasue some pilots don't need a physical at all, like glider and balloon pilots.

Simple answers generally fit the simple needs of simple people - another of my father's old sayings.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 09:34:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Teaching emergency procedures

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.