Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Teaching emergency procedures (Read 222 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Teaching emergency procedures
11/15/10 at 11:32:27

Did anyone else see the news article about the fatal traffic accident in Utah over the weekend where the Highway Patrol is saying it was probably caused by a stuck accelerator pedal in a Toyota Camry?  Long skid marks before the car went across the median and hit a wall.  Lot of good the brakes did with the engine running, in gear, at a highway speed throttle setting.

Stuck throttles are a mystery to me, although in the 1960s I saw a guy get killed at Mid-Ohio race course when a throttle pedal stuck in an Alfa Romeo and he had his head down, fiddling with the pedal, when he shot off of the course and went into a tree.

Driver training really sucks.  We don't teach emergency procedures at all in driver training.  All you have to do for a stuck throttle is kick the transmission into neutral, or turn off the ignition, or both.  Kicking it into neutral may cause the engine to rev so high that you blow the engine - no big deal compared to the alternative.

Just a heads up for all drivers - THINK, have a plan in mind to deal with whatever comes your way.

If we went about pilot training the way we teach driving, most pilots would be dead.

When I taught my daughter to drive, I took her out on a snowy night to a shopping center parking lot after it was empty and we did numerous skids, left and right, to teach her to recover from a loss of traction.  How many student drivers have ever experienced a real skid recovery in their training?  Darn few, I bet.  And, she learned in a manual transmission car - no automatic transmission for about 8 years after she got her license.  She learned how to plan a proper line thru a turn; nose into the inside apex of the turn, reduce the angulation of the turn.

All we typically concentrate on in driver training is making sure we don't go 56 in a 55 zone, and make sure that we signal a lane change when there isn't another car for 2 miles - same for signaling turns when you're the only one on the road - real life savers, those lessons are.

A known statistic is that an active pilot has only 10% the chance of having a serious auto accident as does a member of the general population as a whole - wonder why?  Because we teach student pilots to expect the unexpected from engine start to engine shutdown after landing.  We also teach pilots to keep their heads on a swivel, and have a situational awareness of what's going on around them.

Darn shame we don't do the same for student drivers.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Teaching emergency procedures
Reply #1 - 11/15/10 at 13:21:51

I agree with you.

My 84 year old aunt had her first ever accident a couple weeks ago.  She said the accelerator stuck (no one really knows for sure, but she is known to exaggerate).  She went clear through a cinder-block building wall.  Luckily, she was just bruised and sore.  Nothing broken or worse, but look, it could have been much worse.    

Also, last night, I was going out to my new camp.  Downhill, wet, covered with leaves.... yep, started sliding!!  Hubby starts yelling "let off the brake"...  of course I had already done that.  I was taught how to drive in the good old days.  Snowy shopping center parking lot - Check!  Manual transmission (on the column even) before I could get my license - Check!

You'd think we would teach better now days.  Why don't we?  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/15/10 at 13:38:26

BH -

We don't teach better because we have the notion that everyone has to be driving.  If the course were as tough as it should be, a few just wouldn't make it.  And, for heaven's sake, we couldn't actually have someone wash out of driver training, could we?

Just a night or two ago, on the way home well after dark, I saw a car pull out in front of me, from a shopping center, with no lights on.  I flashed my lights in her mirror, and she panicked and slammed on her brakes right there in the middle of evening traffic.  I didn't hit her, didn't even come close.  I pulled up beside her (young gal, late teens or early 20s) and told her to turn on her lights.  She was actually surprised.

How can you not know that your lights aren't on?  Simple, she never looked at her instrument panel to see that it was unlit.  Again, when I taught my daughter, she was taught to look at the panel immediately after engine start, to be sure that the oil pressure light wasn't on, that the warning lights for an open door weren't on, etc.  But again, how many student drivers are taught that - next to none.  Most young drivers, especially the girls (no bias intended, just the truth) probably don't even know what the oil pressure light is for.

I blame our notion of what driving is and what we teach that it is.  We only teach the crap they put out in driver's ed courses - don't speed, signal every turn and lane change, and don't text while driving.  That's all there is to being a safe driver in the minds of most driving instructors.

It won't change, I'm mainly just ranting.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/15/10 at 13:42:56

WOW  Shocked  Auntie was very lucky!!

Yes, I have had a throttle stick wide open on me in a car.  MG Midget with slide valve instead of butterfly valve.  The slide just.. stuck.  Only did it that one time.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 11/15/10 at 14:01:02

BH -

The delicate question is - Is your Aunt still a competent driver at 84?

Hanging up one's spurs is a difficult decision for anything that we do.  But, assuming we live long enough, that day does come when we shouldn't be driving anymore.

Again, it all goes back to society's idea that driving is a fairly benign activity, so long as we obey a very few and simple rules.  

We let all sorts of impaired people drive, those too old, paraplegics with hand controls, one armed folks, deaf people with two mirrors on the car (seen a car lately without 2 mirrors?) - all are significant impairments over the capabilities of a physically normal person of middle age or younger.  But  don't drive with a BAC over .08, or they'll treat you like a child molester.  Same amount of impairment, probably less in most circumstances, but society tolerates the other forms of impairment.

Driving has become so necessary to modern life that we accept virtually anyone into the ranks of drivers.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/15/10 at 14:37:11

Jerry, the fallacy of your argument is people with a natural impairment (physical and/or mental) have learned to cope with it by training or the gradual loss of function.  Those that are impaired by choice, may not be able to deal with the changes.  And I'm not saying that all drunks are unable to drive themselves home either.  Yet very few take a driving test drunk and pass.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 11/15/10 at 14:49:04

I must take exception to the lumping of handicapped people who have learned to control a vehicle in a different way than you or I to drunk drivers. Drivers with hand controls or deaf drivers, or one armed drivers are NOT impaired drivers. Just as you shift with your foot and clutch with your left hand instead of shifting with your right hand and clutching with your foot, so they use different controls. That does Not make them impaired! Angry

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 11/15/10 at 14:52:59

Verslagen -

I don't mean to open up this DUI argument again.  But "drunk" is one thing and .08 BAC is an entirely different matter.

2 nicely poured cocktails and you're over .08, especially if you're a smaller man or a normal sized woman and you have them berfore dinner.  To me, that's hardly drunk.  It does gravel me how the media and many others equate .08 with "drunk".

The old limit of .15 was much more realistic at recognizing what is drunk, and too impaired to drive.

My attitude is that impairment is allowed, and yes, physically disabled people do learn to compensate, but only to some degree.  No one will ever convince my that a paraplegic driving with hand controls only for throttle, brake, and every other thing that the hands normally control can react and make the reaction translate into control of a car in an emergency equal what a physically normal person can do.

The same goes for a one armed person - he/she can't maneuver in an emergency like a normal person can.  Should they be disallowed from driving; no.  But again, be realistic about their limitations.

I'm not saying to kick them out of driving, just be realistic.

I started this thread to talk about the poor state of driver training and how people often don't know how to react in the simplest type of emergency, like a stuck throttle, because we never train drivers in emergency preparedness nor any emergency procedures.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 11/15/10 at 14:57:08

Odmanout -

Try driving a twisty road one handed.  While the highway isn't a twisty course, many of the moves are the same in an emergency evasion.

Get in a deserted parking lot and go about 25 mph.  Then pretend a child or deer just darted in fornt of you and make the evasive maneuver one handed on the steering wheel.  Then do it again using both hands - you'll see a huge difference if you really simulate a major evasive maneuver.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 11/15/10 at 15:06:49

I took driver's ed at the age of 16 through the local board of education. There were quite a few of us so they split us into two groups- one would drive in the morning and attend drivers class in the afternoon, the other visa versa. There were two examiners on the last day- one passed everyone and the other failed everyone because he believed 16 was too young to drive. I was in the second group. I took my test again 3 days later and scored perfect. That winter my dad took me to an empty lot and taught me how to recover from skids, and to brake safely in slippery conditions, and made me practice till my responses were automatic. Those lessons saved my tushy several times, yet these techniques are not taught in the regular driving schools to this day, 45 years later.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 11/15/10 at 15:10:25

Odmanout -

My point exactly, and kudos to your father.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 11/15/10 at 15:16:35

Jerry: have you ever heard of a "spinner"? They are illegal for two handed drivers in Ontario but not for one handed drivers. And you and I comparing our abilities one VS two handed is not a reasonable indication of how a one handed person will perform. The one handed person is used to driving one handed. You and I are not.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 11/15/10 at 15:27:58

When I was young we all a spinners at one time or another,I think a person with one arm is used to doing things with one arm and they most likely are extra careful when driving.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/15/10 at 17:09:50

don't worry, in 20 years or less cars will be driving themselves and accident rates will go down and anyone who drives themselves will be considered nuts or a thrill seeker.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 11/15/10 at 17:29:27

20 years,.. I'll still be driving the car I have now... it's only got 180k on it...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:44:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Teaching emergency procedures

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.