drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: oil level in window
Reply #90 - 11/02/10 at 21:23:09

OF, I bear no flowers. I am not a newbie. I don't put on thousands and thousands and thousands of miles every month, but I am not a newbie. In fact, after nearly 3 years on the bike, I rather resent being refered to as one. I have never come close to dumping the bike while checking the oil. ( It's called "balance" ) I check mine while on 1 knee, holding the bike vertical by the seat. ( No beer in the other hand ) Does that look silly? I dunno. No one has ever told me it does. I am not necessarily on Bills side. It just seems that you go WAY overboard making a simple point. Am I a participant? I dunno. Am I?
The kevlar boxers are intact.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 11/02/10 at 23:22:56

No flowers?   No BEER?

At least you get down on one knee and hug your bike while checking her oil, that's something to help keep her happy.

Grin        grin, it's a joke son

Ah, OK -- here comes my feeble attempt to get serious at 2:15 in the morning
                                        (Wednesday AM).    

Best I can do, anyway.

Yes -- you certainly can do the Suzuki Method, we have all done it and we all know how.   And according to the poll, very few bikes have tried to get away from us while doing it.

And your method of going down on one knee makes more sense than doing the Roadrunner, as lots of folks have a hard time SEEING the window level much less easily judging it on the first try doing the Roadrunner method.

So, if the only thing that your method means is getting a knee dusty if you are off on a trip, that is not a unrecoverable price to pay for a easier way to get the job done.

Still easier yet is to be able to approach the bike from several feet away standing upright and being able to judge the oil level with a single glance downwards as you walk up to it from the right hand side of the bike -- not even having to touch it or move it or hug it or kneel on one knee or do anything to it other than glance down.

One method is certainly easier than the other method .....

There must be something that the other method has that makes it worthwhile.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #92 - 11/03/10 at 04:02:31

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/02/10 at 19:08:15:

K

Like Zorro had his "Z" ....

.... Superman had his "S"  ....

Wink      The Klotzman has his "K"

Bill, you do realize that although I won't fire back at you until you rack up one more provoke, that Verslagen has actually used more Klotz in a Savage engine than you have and he is not limited in any way that keeps him from stating facts about his Klotz experiences.

Grin

I agree that verly has used more oil than I have,I've never had a motorcycle that burned oil.But then again I don't use cheap oil

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #93 - 11/03/10 at 05:02:21

Quote:
There must be something that the other method has that makes it worthwhile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There must ?
What ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #94 - 11/03/10 at 09:07:47

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/01/10 at 21:55:01:
And Lastly, do all you "vertical" guys realize how ridiculous you look doing a roadrunner on your head while you are checking your oil level and trying to balance that bike at the same time?

Roadrunner?  Does this bird have some oddball warm up routine?  Lay on ground stretching leg muscles (or holding handlebars) ?

Or do you mean Osterich? Whose well known flat footed, tail to the stars, head to the ground could be confused with checking their oil level?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 11/03/10 at 09:36:18

Routy, that ball is in Drums court now, so we'll wait on him to answer it.

If somebody else wants to take a poke at it, they surely may -- this here is an equal opportunity oil window war.

Why do you do the Suzuki Method of Oil Window Checking?

Somebody will come up with some compelling reason they still do the Road Runner (or the One Knee Proposal as the case may be) ....  if they can come up with anything good enough to type, anyway.

Bill however wants to use up the last of his 3 free passes rehashing the last 5-6 oil wars, which is mildly provoking all by itself.

===============

Verslagen, since you are here now please educate Bill about his favorite oil since you have put more of it into a Savage than he has.

Yup, if he has an '06 and if the rest of his "claimed mileage and oil change data" runs true then he is still on his original crankcase load of Klotz.

Grin

Doing the Road Runner --  in the cartoon the wily bird would always do a certain head and neck motion, inverting them so his head was down by his feet, peer at the poor stupid busted up coyote upside down and very rapidly stick his tongue out at him making a tucka-tucka-tucka sound then hitting him with a cheery "Beep Beep" before zipping off again.

But you are right, real ostriches do it too --- except they are sticking their head down in the sand and are ignoring reality.

Hey, that "head in the sand" thing works in this case too if you think about it a bit.

To ignore the fact that the Suzuki Method makes no sense, doesn't work as easy or as well as the sidestand method does, doesn't allow you to put the 2.5 quart recommended amount of oil into the bike and it actually puts you a lot closer to engine death due to low/no oil when you are on a road trip, why "head in the sand" does seem to apply here, doesn't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #96 - 11/03/10 at 11:22:17

Lips Sealed...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #97 - 11/03/10 at 11:26:10

Hon, that's not the right way... yes like the roadrunner.  Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #98 - 11/03/10 at 11:26:41

Unfair, I don't wear 3" heels and my body simply won't DO that any more !!!      

..... it is compelling though

Verslagen, her contacts would fall out (among other things ..... )    
    Smiley        she's just very nearsighted

And you will note that the motorcycle is on its sidestand, right ???

Grin   Grin   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #99 - 11/03/10 at 15:28:55

Ok, I'm starting to lean in one direction, same as the bike on it's side stand. Clarify for me, when on the side stand, where should the oil level be at in the sight glass? Now, being nearsighted and 1/2 blind even with my glasses on, I'm still gonna have to bend down and look to get a good view. Maybe I should try the gigantic mirror method.
( With a flashlight, of course ) Maybe by doing this, I can get a few more years out of my knee's, having taken all that pounding out of the picture.

Smiley

Oh, I tried to put on a couple thousand miles today, but I could only manage 85 until my fingers went numb from the cold.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #100 - 11/03/10 at 16:41:34

If you see any oil at all, it wound be enough, if compared to Suzie's
method of hecking oil. For me, I keep the level tween the marks while on the side stand.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #101 - 11/03/10 at 17:13:08

If you have longer shocks or bigger rear tire,Your bike leans over a lot more and your oil will show higher.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 11/03/10 at 18:34:16

Drums,   the oil should be showing, that is the only real reqirement.  I let it peep over the bottom big enough to see it easily -- that's enough.

Some run it higher  (Ed L runs it amost a quart higher) ---- the whole point is that when you crank the bike the window should go empty, the oil should drop BELOW THE WINDOW.  This means you are at least an inch and more below the shelf and well away from any trouble.

Bill, I am pleasantly surprised at your good question that has a worthy point inside it  -- if you have long shocks or other frame type mods then you simply need to make sure your oil goes below the window when you crank the bike and idle it with the easy to see oil window point that you pick in the window for the modded system you are using.

Since ED L can move out a quart, I think there probably is enough reserve "lowering" in the system to keep all of us safe.

If you window is empty when you idle the bike in the vertical position -- you are good to go with the set point you picked.

Grin   Grin   Grin

I guess this is the only time you would ever need to hold the bike vertical, when you are running at idle to verifiying a set point on a non-standard bike really goes "empty window" for you.

I suspect most shock mods and hardtail mods and springer mods can still use this method jest fine, but they will have to verify as shown above.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #103 - 11/03/10 at 19:24:06

where's her helmet?

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #104 - 11/03/10 at 19:24:23

Yea, I knew I couldn't the only one to drop the bike while checking the oil the vertical way !

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 07:42:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.