ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: oil level in window
Reply #330 - 12/01/10 at 19:18:02

Oh, its a BALANCING stick

--- balance the bottom of stick on the brick, balance the kickstand on top of the stick, balance the bike upright so you can bend over and look at the oil window.

What happens if you were to grab onto something when you start to go over?

Or, heaven forbid, a sudden gust of wind comes up?

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #331 - 12/01/10 at 20:37:34

Is this thread about done,......I swear I can't take anymore vertical horror stories ! Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #332 - 12/01/10 at 21:34:57

You gonna quit while we are behind?    We is losing !!!

Sluggo makes it 4 to 3 in favor of vertical  

(and they all have some mechanical contrivance they have to use to make it work for them)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #333 - 12/01/10 at 22:47:27

We ain't even voted yet. And besides that, I'm not fooled,..... there ain't hardly a soul that has read this thread, that in the privacy of there own bike garage,....after they turn around a few times to make sure we ain't lookin, ain't gonna check their oil from now on the common senseable way.....on the sidestand ! And thats not to speak of ....that most anyone in the mechanical know, knows that more oil is a lot better in an aircooled engine, and will do it for that reason if nothin else. And thats not to mention that this all comes completely for free !

And if by some slim chance I'm wrong, they are the ones that loose,...not us ! Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #334 - 12/02/10 at 10:10:06

Hee hee, and at the end when we are still losing by a few, well --- I'll count the votes for the plaintiff and the defendant sides as well.  That will pick us up one or two votes anyway.

Actually, we are doing well -- approximately 50% of the people actually voting have recently changed sides.   This is pretty good for changing the minds of men -- ask any woman, she'll tell you.

Grin

.... and with Drums ringing in below that brings us back up to tied at 4 votes each.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #335 - 12/02/10 at 10:34:27

I must admit, I feel a bit like a senator voting on the unemployment extension. But, I will admit, I have officially changed sides. I am now a sidestand checker. ( 2 1/2 Qts. ) It is a lot easier and safer. I just stick to the 2 1/2 Qts., and it seems to be just right. A little high on the vertical, but no oil in the airbox, and burns very little. Probably leaks more than it burns. Either way, it's down for the winter, and I am deciding how deep I want to dig. I don't want to disassemble it farther than my knowhow can put back together. Not to mention that $$ is very tight.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #336 - 12/09/10 at 21:32:32

Digger wrote on 11/20/10 at 21:53:29:
Digger wrote on 11/17/10 at 21:40:37:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/01/10 at 05:43:17:

So it gets down to -- what is the answer to the question on the table.

Back to the question that is on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The 2.5 quart amount of oil or the inspection method?.....

The oil inspection method is correct, and here's why:

I owned a 1977 Yamaha XS750D.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL500.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I own a 2001 Honda ST1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I own a 2005 Honda GL1800.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

Pretty consistent.

Why on Earth would I believe that my Savage would be any different.....it isn't.

I find that 2.0 quarts after an oil and filter change in the Savage puts me halfway between the two marks.....even though the book calls for 2.5 quarts in this case.

Routy wrote on 11/18/10 at 05:44:47:
Digger,
All you told us it that it don't matter if the level is above the windows...site glasses, whatever, on a lot of bikes, not just the savage.
And I'm tellin ya if it don't make any difference,...or cause any problems, as the poll has proven, MORE IS BETTER and if it makes for a safer method checking the oil as in the savage case, it is BETTER YET  

Actually, with those other bikes, I ended up adding less oil than the book called for, so as to keep the oil level between the low and high lines on the dipstick/sight window.

I know that on some bikes, it does matter if the oil level is higher than the high mark on the dipstick/sight window (90's vintage BMW K bikes come to mind for some reason....perhaps someone else can expand on this).

As far as the significance of all of my old bikes having books that seemingly called for too much oil......I can't quite recall what I was thinking when I posted that....... Huh

Ooh!  Ooh!  I remember now what point I was trying to make.

It seems as if it is quite common for Japanese motorcycle manufacturers to overstate the amount of oil you should pour into the crankcase after an oil change.

Therefore, I can conclude that, for the Savage, 2.5 quarts is probably too much (if you define too much as being over the upper limit on the window).

However, I do understand Routy's point.  Perhaps it is OK, in the Savage's case, to add "too much" oil.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #337 - 12/09/10 at 22:06:21

My vote is for level.

I generally just sit on the bike and balance it at the vertical balance point (very easy to sense).  I then position a long-handled mirror such that I can read the oil level.  Very easy to do, but not really needed since my bike (see signature) has never burned any oil....KOW!

And now, in the spirit of this thread, I will post perhaps the most ridiculous way ever concocted to set the bike to level:

First, chock both tires:

Then, run a strap from the bike to the wall of your garage.  Leave the strap a bit loose for now:

Prop the bike's sidestand up on two short sections of 2"X4":

Now, snug the strap to keep the bike from toppling over:

She ain't gonna fall over on you now, and you can get a good look at the oil level.

Truth be told, I don't do this anymore, unless I need to secure the bike for some work and I'm too lazy to put it on a stand.

I originally posted this method some time ago.  See near the bottom of page 1 of this thread:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1184815874/13#13

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #338 - 12/10/10 at 09:30:37

If you fill the oil ,so that it's just visible on the side stand ,with the engine cold,is that 2.5 quarts of oil ,or a little less? Thanks

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #339 - 12/10/10 at 09:58:12

Digger is one of the active defendants, so his vote, Charon's and Bill's won't be counted until the very end along with all the various plantiffs's votes.

(we are trying to poll the Kangaroo Kourt right now, but it seems the jury box is pretty much empty at this stage).

For Vertical,  we got laminated wood blocks, bricks, sticks, walls, multiple tie downs, spirit levels, quite a few long handled mirrors and various other paraphernalia needed to do a "proper" upright check without getting hurt.  We also got 126 list user reported problems doing Vertical, 7 personal injuries and 5 dropped bikes.

(and that is just what the guys will admit to -- we ain't getting told the really ugly ones ....)

For Side Stand, we got a quick glance downwards as you walk up to the bike simply using your standard issue Mark I eyeball.  Although asked repeatedly, so far we have no reported issues either on this thread or over at the original thread in Tech Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283793450/27#27

(there are two clicks for problems, one guy admitted he screwed up clicking with his mouse,  the other remained silent as to his situation, whatever it might have been)

==================================

So, if you wanted to try to do a straw count of the final vote it might go sorta like this .....

Kangaroo Kourt is tied at 4 each

For Vertical, add in the 3 defense side people

from the Tech Thread add in the 2 who screwed up their clicks but had no problem to report (gotta be fair now)

being generous and fair, add in the 22 people who voted neutral as they are still verticalling at this point in time (but admit to sitting on the teetery top edge of the fence)

That's a grand total of 31 votes for vertical (giving vertical all the help you possibly could, cause it needs it)

Grin

Now for Sidestand, it has gained quite a few since this thread started up (and it will gain more as time goes on, I suspect) ....

Lets see now, 4 from the Kangaroo Kourt, 2 plaintiffs, and 30 from the other thread makes 36 total.

So with 67 being the sample count (about half the active posting list getting counted in this survey) we have about half and half for each method, with the side stand method growing rapidly and the vertical method losing ground accordingly.

Grin

Remember boys and girls, keep on checking and looking for any issues with that side stand method -- we is still a looking for that secret flaw to the side stand system to equal the one that Bill found for the vertical method ....

(and that being that unconsciously you get whatever vertical oil level you are looking for by unconsciously tilting the bike jest a little tiny bit one way or another)

go Bill, go !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #340 - 12/10/10 at 10:27:02

I just pull the engine and shake it... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #341 - 12/10/10 at 12:37:56

OF   I always have my young neighbor girl tilt the bike back and forth till the oil is level thats the best and easiest  way,Even if it does take her a half hour.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #342 - 12/10/10 at 16:46:07

Pull the engine and shake it was awesome!

Digger! Holy apparatus to check your oil!  Are you serious...man grab some front brake and tip her upright.  this bike only weighs so much.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #343 - 12/10/10 at 17:13:12

Digger sounds like one of the five who had his Savage fall on his headbone at some time or another.   That's headbone protection, there a hangin' off that wall ....

You can spot the rest of the ones who had it happen to them (but won't fess to it) due to the little long mirrors, bricks and sticks and laminated wood blocks they always carry with them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #344 - 12/11/10 at 05:16:59

Lets just hope Digger carries one of those panic buttons that cries out, "HELP....a SAVAGE HAS ME NAILED TO THE CONCRETE, AND I CAN'T GET UP" !!

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 15:16:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.