Send Topic Print
oil level in window (Read 4827 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: oil level in window
Reply #300 - 11/28/10 at 08:57:51

I havent voted because mine isnt running & till I get to play with it & see for myself how mine acts with enough oil in it to see it in the window as it rests on the SS, Im not gonna,, But I expect itll leave here, when I sell it, with oil in it for the SS method & Ill school up the next Savage forum reader.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #301 - 11/28/10 at 09:01:21

3 to 2 for vertical

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #302 - 11/28/10 at 09:28:10

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/28/10 at 09:01:21:

3 to 2 for vertical

For? or against?

Okay now, everbody get ready. Im gonna slip this in riiiight about here.

Im uhh, leanin toward usin the SS method,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #303 - 11/28/10 at 09:52:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/28/10 at 09:28:10:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/28/10 at 09:01:21:

3 to 2 for vertical

For? or against?

Okay now, everbody get ready. Im gonna slip this in riiiight about here.

Im uhh, leanin toward usin the SS method,,

OF accounting 101, rule #1, anybody hints that they might vote one way or the other, they just did.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #304 - 11/28/10 at 09:52:29

So, counting Justin's vote the score is Three votes to two, with vertical still ahead by one vote (not counting the votes for the side standers actively involved in this or the other threads).

We are trying to poll the Kangaroo Kourt jury box, not the plaintiffs or the defendants.

Lupo was right BTW,  thread reset to the point of derailment.      Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 11/28/10 at 22:01:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #305 - 11/28/10 at 22:54:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/27/10 at 14:26:16:
& my chain is not yet installed.. he he he.. I may just sell that thing. May sell my Supertrapp, too. Thinking of jetting back down, going more stock & selling my spare parts off, Superbrace, Supertrapp & cam chain, Orings & other little spare parts & selling the bike come Spring. Thatd bring in about enuff $$$ to get a sports car.

I'm looking into buying a Supertrapp.  Shoot me a PM if you decide to sell it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #306 - 11/29/10 at 06:02:06

Upon some somber reflection, it seems Bill has left the jury box to man a machine gun and sling some one liner hand grenades so his vote has to be counted as one of the Plantiff / Defendant group.

Accordingly, the vote from the "impartial" Kangaroo Kourt now sits tied at 2 for vertical and 2 for side stand.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #307 - 11/29/10 at 07:39:46

Is there much of a chance that oil will blow into the air box if you fill the oil level to just visible in the sight glass,engine cold, on the side stand ? Under what circumstances ,could you get oil in the air box ,at this level?Thanks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #308 - 11/29/10 at 11:30:22

rl153, your 2005 bike has less than 5,000 miles on it so you would count as practically new as far as blow by goes.   This bike makes a good "new bike" test bed for the idea, so you will learn what is to be learned on a new bike set up.

Your hot test for the oil level you picked should show just about an empty window, mebbe a tiny bit more, so I would think your chances of any extra oil in your air box would be minimal.

The main question about oil in the air box is amount based - the dump tube (the one you are supposed to open at each oil change) generally collects oil and byproducts from the air box on even a brand new bike.  The huff tube from the head carries oil particles and blow-by vapors to the air box naturally where it accumulates, runs down the walls of the air box and goes down the dump tube.  

Actually, the majority of the oil particles get sucked back through the carb and get burned in the next combustion cycle, so we are talking "remnants" of an intentional pollution control process here.

New bikes generally generate oil in the airbox/dump tube to the tune of a partial shot glass full per oil change.

The trouble sign we are looking now for is a positive puddle of oil at the bottom of the air box showing that a significant amount of oil particles has made the trip from head to air box.

Very old bikes have this issue naturally, as their blow by is great and the amount of oil particles making down the huff tube are great as well.

What does this do to your bike?   If you are using a K&N or a list polyfill filter, nothing.  It is just something to clean up periodically.

If you are using a paper filter, likely nothing will happen as the paper filter is well up away from any layer of oil at the bottom of the air box.   Lay the bike over though, and the oil could get on to the paper filter as it runs out of the air box (bike on its side).

============================================

Any of you side stand boys noted any amount of oil sitting in the bottom of your air box yet?   Any greater flow from your dump tube at oil change time?

No news is good news .....    (same request added to the Tech Thread)

« Last Edit: 11/29/10 at 16:51:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #309 - 11/29/10 at 16:03:09

Thanks OF ,that's interesting . I was doing the brick +3/8 peice of  plywood method ,vertical, using a flashlight in the garage. I would fill the oil level halfway between the top of the glass and the upper line ,vertical cold . When it was warmed up the level was slightly under the upper line on the glass.I changed my oil and filter about a month ago,and there was about a tablespoon of oil in the drain tube,when i opened it. I'm going to try the sidestand method next spring(done riding for the winter)And I"ll check the drain tube after a few months.

« Last Edit: 11/30/10 at 08:49:25 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #310 - 11/29/10 at 16:20:56

Score is now 3 votes for side stand vs 2 votes for vertical  (using Verslagen's interpretation of my Accounting Rule #1)

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #311 - 11/29/10 at 16:28:49

I have always checked my oil by the vertical method for one simple reason.  There are almost no flat, level surfaces around.  I find it very easy to hold my bike vertically.  (If you have problems, put a bubble level on your handle bars.)  I do have a mirror on a shaft that allows me to simply look down and see the oil check window.  I have never had a problem with this method.  I would prefer a dip stick, but it is no big deal, certainly not worth all the discussion that has been spent on it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #312 - 11/29/10 at 16:36:16

Score tied again at 3 each.

Smiley

Do you keep your little mirror in your saddle bag, or does it stay in the garage?  

So, now we got laminated blocks of wood, little mirrors and bubble balances stuck on handle bars -- all items required by some folks to do the vertical method "properly".

The side stand people need ---- a single glance down with the Mark 1 unaided eyeball.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #313 - 11/29/10 at 16:43:20

Another advantage of KLOTZ oil is the red shows up really good and the oil keeps the back of the little window clean.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #314 - 11/29/10 at 16:46:38

We have 2x4s, 2x6s, knee pads, mirrors on sticks, and bubble levels on handle bars, wives, exwives, and girlfriends as helpers,............and its still not a problem ! Sorry, I just have to chuckle out loud ! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 19:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.