2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: oil level in window
Reply #240 - 11/20/10 at 21:53:29

Digger wrote on 11/17/10 at 21:40:37:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/01/10 at 05:43:17:

So it gets down to -- what is the answer to the question on the table.

Back to the question that is on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The 2.5 quart amount of oil or the inspection method?.....

The oil inspection method is correct, and here's why:

I owned a 1977 Yamaha XS750D.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL500.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I own a 2001 Honda ST1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I own a 2005 Honda GL1800.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

Pretty consistent.

Why on Earth would I believe that my Savage would be any different.....it isn't.

I find that 2.0 quarts after an oil and filter change in the Savage puts me halfway between the two marks.....even though the book calls for 2.5 quarts in this case.

Routy wrote on 11/18/10 at 05:44:47:
Digger,
All you told us it that it don't matter if the level is above the windows...site glasses, whatever, on a lot of bikes, not just the savage.
And I'm tellin ya if it don't make any difference,...or cause any problems, as the poll has proven, MORE IS BETTER and if it makes for a safer method checking the oil as in the savage case, it is BETTER YET  

Actually, with those other bikes, I ended up adding less oil than the book called for, so as to keep the oil level between the low and high lines on the dipstick/sight window.

I know that on some bikes, it does matter if the oil level is higher than the high mark on the dipstick/sight window (90's vintage BMW K bikes come to mind for some reason....perhaps someone else can expand on this).

As far as the significance of all of my old bikes having books that seemingly called for too much oil......I can't quite recall what I was thinking when I posted that....... Huh

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #241 - 11/20/10 at 21:55:26

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/18/10 at 07:34:43:
......You can always jest vote for one poll item at random then delete your vote after you look at the results -- polls I put up have the correction option enabled.....

Old,

Thanks....that trick worked great!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #242 - 11/21/10 at 03:53:38

You were just noticing the disconnect and how CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT it was across the bikes and brands.   Charon found pretty much the same thing.

Grin

That's why I like that hot test thingie -- you do that once and you KNOW what your bike REALLY REALLY does when the oil is fully expanded.

Now, do I really think some oils expand more than other oils do?  Well, some are dino based, some are PAO ester based and my personal oil choice is based on a cracked wax.   So yes, I bet they do expand differently,  their very natures are different.

Nothing like KNOWING, is there?

Grin   Grin   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #243 - 11/23/10 at 09:10:06

My GF's Savage will not hold the mentioned 2.5 qts. When I change her oil and filter, I let it all drain out, remove the filter, put the kickstand down while in first gear, the turn the engine over and gush out some more, then let it drain some more. To get her oil to the correct level it takes about 2200ml of 10W-40, I buy oil in 2.5 gallon containers and I must measure carefully. I then go out and run the bike around for 10-15 minutes then check. It usually is always right to the top notch in the window. Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #244 - 11/23/10 at 12:48:41

JimRR,

Which checking method are you using?   Sounds vertical, but I can't be sure unless I ask.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #245 - 11/24/10 at 02:40:27

In my garage with my GF holding the machine on its balance point. I hardly ever check the oil level by my self.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #246 - 11/24/10 at 04:38:46

Quote:
My GF's Savage will not hold the mentioned 2.5 qts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanna bet ?

Do you know the purpose of this Poll/ thread ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #247 - 11/24/10 at 05:16:46

JimRR wrote on 11/24/10 at 02:40:27:
In my garage with my GF holding the machine on its balance point. I hardly ever check the oil level by my self.  

Thats the best way to do it,Theres no way I can hold my 1500 up and check the oil with out someone holding the bike for me,We are luck the jap bikes hardly burn any oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #248 - 11/24/10 at 08:36:16

Quote:
Thats the best way to do it,Theres no way I can hold my 1500 up and check the oil with out someone holding
----------------------------------------------------------
Do you know the purpose of this thread ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #249 - 11/24/10 at 08:40:46

Routy wrote on 11/24/10 at 08:36:16:
Quote:
Thats the best way to do it,Theres no way I can hold my 1500 up and check the oil with out someone holding
----------------------------------------------------------
Do you know the purpose of this thread ?

I agreed with you Routy its sort of a wasteful tread.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #250 - 11/24/10 at 08:58:02

Well I don't know where I ever said that.
This poll has proven what I said a year ago,.....that there is an easier, safer, and better way to check the oil than the "vertical" way. And in doing so, it will take the 2.3 -2.5 quarts of oil to bring it in window site.
No one is telling anyone to do it the easier, safer, more sensible way, but the poll is just showing that it can be done that way w/o any problems whatsoever.
But from the last couple posts here, it seem some don't know what the purpose of the poll was/is.

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #251 - 11/24/10 at 10:36:01

Very few people read the first part of a 15 page thread, they only read what they see on the last page, and maybe turn back one page or two if something catches their eye.

Polls are that way too, the instructions for a poll are on the very first page, but the silly thing shows on all subsequent pages and many people "vote" completely blind based on what they see on the last couple of pages.

Smiley   but that's how she works, boys and girls .....   reality is.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #252 - 11/24/10 at 10:41:01

I didn't take Suzuki 15 pages to tell you how to check your oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #253 - 11/24/10 at 12:53:40

bill67 wrote on 11/24/10 at 10:41:01:
I didn't take Suzuki 15 pages to tell you how to check your oil.

As I read it, the 15 pages is not telling anyone how to check their oil.
It is determining if there is any possible reason why the oil should not be checked the easier, safer, more sensible way. And from the results I think its quite clear that there is no problem.
But being that you keep insisting that the vertical method is no problem, safe, and so easy,....even tho you have to get help to do it, just keep doing it that way,.....we don't mind,....really we don't !  

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #254 - 11/24/10 at 13:33:37

So your Savage fell over on your head while you were checking your oil window level
while trying to hold your bike all perfectly vertical and perfectly still .....  

Silly Coyote, you should try the List Side Stand check method.
It is much easier to do and is just as "rational" as the Suzuki method

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 19:22:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.