Send Topic Print
oil level in window (Read 4827 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: oil level in window
Reply #210 - 11/15/10 at 13:24:47

Thanks for all the useful info. I'm switching to the sidestand technique.Interesting.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #211 - 11/17/10 at 21:29:25

Charon wrote on 11/07/10 at 05:35:21:
Just from curiosity, and to stir things again, which manual is it that says anything about 2.5 quarts of oil? I just dug out the Owners Manual for the LS650, dated May, 2006. Under SPECIFICATIONS, CAPACITIES, it says "Engine oil, without filter change, 1800 ml (1.9 US quart). With filter change 2000 ml (2.1 US quart)."............I will have to say I am amazed that, in a 10-page thread, I am the first to actually quote the Owner's Manual instead of guessing what it says.

Just to add some more data, the official Suzuki LS650 Service Manual states:

Oil change: 1.9 quarts
Filter change: 2.5 quarts
Overhaul Engine: 2.5 quarts

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #212 - 11/17/10 at 21:40:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/01/10 at 05:43:17:

So it gets down to -- what is the answer to the question on the table.

Back to the question that is on the table -- which one is the Suzuki/Clymer goof this time?   The 2.5 quart amount of oil or the inspection method?.....

The oil inspection method is correct, and here's why:

I owned a 1977 Yamaha XS750D.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL500.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I own a 2001 Honda ST1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I own a 2005 Honda GL1800.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

Pretty consistent.

Why on Earth would I believe that my Savage would be any different.....it isn't.

I find that 2.0 quarts after an oil and filter change in the Savage puts me halfway between the two marks.....even though the book calls for 2.5 quarts in this case.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #213 - 11/17/10 at 21:42:05

OF,

I'd really like to see the results of the poll, but I can't vote.

I've never had any "trouble" checking the oil level on my Savage.

How about a "No Trouble" option?

TIA!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #214 - 11/17/10 at 21:50:49

Never so inclined to look it up as it does say 1800 ml on the side of the case.

But Clymer says... (qts) 1.9 oil change, 2.1 oil & filter, 2.5 overhaul.

An '86 SSM says as Digger noted.  They must be a whole lot better at getting all the oil out.  Must use billshutter's method.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #215 - 11/18/10 at 05:44:47

Digger,
All you told us it that it don't matter if the level is above the windows...site glasses, whatever, on a lot of bikes, not just the savage.
And I'm tellin ya if it don't make any difference,...or cause any problems, as the poll has proven, MORE IS BETTER and if it makes for a safer method checking the oil as in the savage case, it is BETTER YET

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #216 - 11/18/10 at 07:34:43

Digger, you is all late to the party -- everybody else is all drunk and passed out now ...

.... 'cept fer Bill, he's still all rollin',  thrashin' and screamin' and cussin' in the bathroom -- his new girl friend has done snatched his eyeball out and stepped on it fer the sheer meanness of it.   He ain't found it yet, all feelin' round with his fingers and all.

BTW, what year is your owner's manual?  It seems to make a difference.

And, just for your own private thoughts, how many errors have you got marked up in your Clymers manual now -- and how many list improvements are noted in the same book?

You can always jest vote for one poll item at random then delete your vote after you look at the results -- polls I put up have the correction option enabled.

Digger sez ....

I owned a 1977 Yamaha XS750D.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I owned a 1981 Honda GL500.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

I own a 2001 Honda ST1100.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high in the sight window.

I own a 2005 Honda GL1800.  Adding the book amount of oil after an oil change caused the level to read too high on the dipstick.

Pretty consistent.

Yep, we agree -- the JASO (jackass stupid standard official) Japanese oil checking system sure is consistently stupid, no matter which brand of bike is using the verbiage.  Both you and Charon have made that point to everybody's satisfaction.

Have another drink and sit down on this nice soft thick carpet -- feels right good to pass out on, don't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #217 - 11/18/10 at 07:53:23

to have good idle speed to pump the oil up that long way to the cam.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more reason to check the oil on the side stand.

But there is one good thing about checking it the other (stupid) way,......if its low on oil, just lean it toward you a little, so the cam can really starve for oil,......too full, lean it the other way ! Either way, you'll feel better that you did it rite. Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #218 - 11/18/10 at 08:02:12

Speaking of Bill ?? What Bill ??
It was "Kill Bill"
Now I think its "Bill's Gone"  Undecided :'(

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #219 - 11/18/10 at 08:04:44

OF does it that way so his bike has the right amount of oil in it.He just tilts it back and forth. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #220 - 11/18/10 at 08:09:10

'Ol One Eye Bill ain't that easy to kill.  

(say that three times fast - all poetical, ain't it?)

I done been a killin' him fer years now at the end of every oil war, and he jest keeps a commin' back fer more after he heals up some ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #221 - 11/18/10 at 08:26:24

Now for the serious Digger answer -- as serious as I can get on a Thursday anyway ....

Digger, the JASO OEM oil checking method works as good as it works -- the poll indicates it has some flaws in the application method when used on a Savage and it has crashed bikes and caused personal injury to our list members.  

85 issues reported at this point in time, four personal injuries and three crashed bikes to be all persnickety about it.

It results in an oil level/amount that is lower than the list side stand method's oil level/amount.

The list side stand method has EASE and complete consistency of use, and if implemented by a list member should always be done using the ONE TIME ONLY hot check for expansion test to verify there is no chance of oil getting up into the crank spinning area.  (our bikes have shock mods, side stand pucks, etc etc etc that must be rung into the equation).

It is another "Suzuki Savage Expert Method" that requires you to think it through and apply it to your own circumstances (including how durn level your driveway or garage is)

them green behind the ears newbies need to stick with Road Runner method

So far no one who has used the side stand check has reported an issue with the list side stand method -- and that is significant in that some just did it to prove it wrong (them Doubting Thomases, they make up the very best pool of witnesses they really do).

If your bike is using some oil between oil changes or if you have ever run your oil level too low using the Suzuki Method (and a little slackness or a long trip can certainly do that to you) you may want to give the List Side Stand Method a try.

(remember to do your hot test, please)

« Last Edit: 11/18/10 at 12:36:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #222 - 11/18/10 at 11:04:01

I think we're quite safe in never telling anyone to use the sidestand method, but just letting them know how many of us do use it w/o any problem whatsoever, and how benificial it can be in a lot more ways than one.
But I didn't know about the hot test, nor do I believe we're running that close, unless of course we're talking of a very unlevel floor.

I myself always turn the wheel to the right, when checking oil, and I always check it cold. So I can only verify that my bike gives no problem keeping the oil between the lines, while cold, and on a level floor, and the wheel turned to the right.
Other bikes could (but probably won't) differ I suppose.

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #223 - 11/18/10 at 12:09:51

The Hot Test is the final comprehensive "I ain't got me no problem" oil level test that only has to be done once to verify things are OK -- it is easy enough to do, just do a road runner on a fully hot from a hard ride idling engine.

You are looking for your running at idle fully expanded (HOT) oil to give you at least half a window or more of oil clearance to the oil shelf (which is right above the window).

By doing the Hot Test you are affirming your modded shocks, girder front end, or WHATEVER YOU MAY HAVE DONE TO YOUR BIKE isn't causing you any issues with your normal running down the road hot oil level.

Some of you jokers should be doing this test once anyway because of the extreme mods you have done to your bikes ....

Once again, expert methods for the experienced Savage riders .....

THE NEWBIES CAN CONTINUE TO DO IT THIS WAY ......

So your Savage fell over on your head while you were checking your oil window level while trying to hold your bike perfectly vertical and perfectly still .....  

Silly Coyote, you should try the list side stand check method.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #224 - 11/18/10 at 12:37:56

Routy,

How do you know unless you've done the hot test?

Betcha ya ain't got an empty window .....

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 19:33:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.