Send Topic Print
oil level in window (Read 4827 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: oil level in window
Reply #135 - 11/06/10 at 15:25:55

Thats for you guys that have a problem with checking your oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #136 - 11/06/10 at 16:10:44

So, Bill sez

Since you Suzuki Method guys are having a hard time holding your bike vertical, put it in a cow capture milking cage to hold it upright.

================================

The side stand guys can stay out on the pavement and not get their shoes or their knees dirty -- just takes them an easy glance from standing upright position as they walk up to the bike from the right side.

================================

Suzuki Method guys, it's getting kinda bad when even Bill starts to tease you some for how and what you are doing .....

...... jest imagine the razz type questions the next person who munches their motor for low oil is gonna get.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #137 - 11/07/10 at 05:35:21

Just from curiosity, and to stir things again, which manual is it that says anything about 2.5 quarts of oil? I just dug out the Owners Manual for the LS650, dated May, 2006. Under SPECIFICATIONS, CAPACITIES, it says "Engine oil, without filter change, 1800 ml (1.9 US quart). With filter change 2000 ml (2.1 US quart)."

In Chapter 7, INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE, Page 7-15: "Engine Oil Level Check. Follow the procedure below to inspect the engine oil level.
"1. Start the engine and alllow it to idle for a few minutes.
"2. Stop the engine and wait for three minutes.
"3. Hold the motorcycle vertically and inspect the engine oil level through the engine oil level inspection window. The engine oil should be between "L" (low) and "F" (full) lines."

There is a bold print CAUTION note saying:
"The engine oil level must be between the "L" (low) line and "F" (full) line, or engine damage may occur.
Check the oil level, through the inspection window, with the motorcycle held vertically on level ground before each use of the motorcycle."

Further on, Page 7-18, toward the end of the oil changing instructions, it gives the oil quantities again as 2000 ml (2.1 US quart) with filter change, and 1800 ml (1.9 US quart) without.

I am not going to argue with those of you who overfill and do not have any damage, nor those who overfill to have a little "extra reserve oil" for high-use engines. I do know, from my brother's experience, there is a level of overfilling which results in the engine spitting oil into the airbox, then inhaling gulps of that oil and emulating a mosquito fogger. His was filled beyond the top of the window with the bike on the stand, but I have no idea how much oil he put in it.

I will have to say I am amazed that, in a 10-page thread, I am the first to actually quote the Owner's Manual instead of guessing what it says.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #138 - 11/07/10 at 06:43:12

Post #1 in the entire thread

Miscepu101 says:

"I am a newbie savage owner.  I purchased a 1999 savage and changed the oil as specified in the manual.  I drained the oil changed the filter and added 2.5 qts of suzuki 10w40."

Post #15 in the entire thread

"Holy smokes!

Alot of good action on a Sunday morning!

I called my local Suzuki dealer and described to him my plight.

He stated that the windows on this enging design were not placed very well.  

He said that anywhere between the two marks to the top of the window is OK.  Just don't put in 3 qts (US).

All that said...this engine design has been around nearly 30 years and since Suzuki has never formally addressed the issue I am feeling a little better that some extra oil will not kill the enging."

Charon, are you saying our new member done screwed the pooch?
Repeatedly, no less?

As far as correcting him, both Bill and Verslagen corrected him in post #2 and #3 about overfilling to the Suzuki Method, so he was corrected, but he continued in his 2.5 quart heresy beliefs that apparently he got from a '99 owner's manual.

In post #7, GaryT, another newbie brought up the sidestand method and told Miscepu101 to go read about it.

In post #8, Routy started giving him information about sidestand/overfill method -- the alternate checking standard that matches his oil amount.

I, in turn did not post until post #9 -- sensing that some fun was in the works but not contributing anything but some humorous nonsense noises about mmmm mmmm good, satisfying etc.

In post #10, Miscepu101 then asks the deadly question which fired off this oil window war (apparently after reading his homework and sensing there was a disconnect between his '99 manual and reality -- no matter which reality you are talking about).   He then called his dealership to get clarification ..... as he posted in post #15.

First formal indication of a potential oil window war was done in #13

Framing of the oil window war declaration was done in post #17

==========================

And now, after 10+ pages of mud & blood trench warfare you are gonna try to tell us our newbie done screwed up TWICE, even after reading his '99 manual and actively consulting with his dealership ????

Grin   Grin    Grin

.......   air yew a read'n frum a 1999 owner's manual ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #139 - 11/07/10 at 07:04:44

Now OF tell me how you read the battery window.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #140 - 11/07/10 at 07:10:36

It's getting hard to understand which way, and how much, is the correct/safe way, and correct/safe amount. If 2.1 qts., with a filter change, at vertical, thus putting the level between the 2 marks, is the correct way, then wouldn't 2.5 qts., with a filter change, on sidestand, thus putting the level between the 2 marks, be too much? OF ?

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin Shocked Huh Embarrassed

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #141 - 11/07/10 at 07:16:28

OK, I call for the Kangaroo Kourt to come into session.

I accuse the Suzuki Method of being both illogical, troublesome and known to be inconsistent between owner's manuals as verified by Mispecu101 and Charon independently and as verified by a Suzuki Dealership's "qualified person" AND calling for checking the oil while it is still actively drooling down from the head, oil filter cavity, the oil galleries and the cam bath.  
Quite illogical, sez Mr. Spock.

We have 25 list members that verify the Side Stand "check it cold" Method works with no ill effects found after months of looking and it is consistent and is much much easier to do.   It is known and verified to give additional reserve oil capacity compared to the Suzuki Method (both versions of it that we have been told about, anyway).

We ask the Kangaroo Kourt to rule -- which is in error, the 2.5 quarts (or Charon's 2.1 quarts or the dealerships stated "no more than 3 quarts") of oil capacity or the blasted stupid illogical "vertical balancing" checking while the oil is still moving Suzuki method which has resulted in a list reported 68 difficulties of which 3 were dropped bikes and 3 were personal injuries.

We also ask the Kourt to clarify how we will train up all future newbies in the correct way for them to go .... as now they are sorely confused (and so are we).

Grin   Grin   Grin

« Last Edit: 11/15/10 at 16:03:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #142 - 11/07/10 at 07:20:03

This thread is becoming "too much".

BUT, in response to your question, Drums, the oil level that is advertised as "correct" is not etched in stone. You gotta keep enough oil in it to keep it cool & slick in all the spinning & pushing places, but not so much that it gets in the way of little things, like crankshafts & stuff. Theres a lot of room for error on the thing. Its not as if the oil has to be measured & metered like one component in a chemistry lab experiment. There's a lot of room between the amount that will cause damage from being overfilled & the amount that will do damage from having too little.

The way I want mine filled is with the most oil it can have in it w/o causing a problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #143 - 11/07/10 at 07:26:44

Justin, as friend of the court, we take it you are saying there is room for interpretation on the amount of oil.   Yes, this is in line with what all the experts are saying.

However, we are past the stage of additional testimony.

As a Senior Member of the Kangaroo Kourt, how do you rule on the two charges?

1) Amount of oil wrong vs the vertical check method being wrong

2)  How we shall train up the newbies as "correct method"

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #144 - 11/07/10 at 07:40:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/07/10 at 07:20:03:
This thread is becoming "too much".

BUT, in response to your question, Drums, the oil level that is advertised as "correct" is not etched in stone. You gotta keep enough oil in it to keep it cool & slick in all the spinning & pushing places, but not so much that it gets in the way of little things, like crankshafts & stuff. Theres a lot of room for error on the thing. Its not as if the oil has to be measured & metered like one component in a chemistry lab experiment. There's a lot of room between the amount that will cause damage from being overfilled & the amount that will do damage from having too little.

The way I want mine filled is with the most oil it can have in it w/o causing a problem.

JOG how much oil did you have in yours when you created a problem?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #145 - 11/07/10 at 07:44:27

Bill, you are out of order (yes, that works -- in several different ways)

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #146 - 11/07/10 at 07:51:02

As far as I know, it is standard procedure for oil to be checked with the machine in which the engine is mounted pretty much level both side-to-side and fore-and-aft. Motorcycles fit into the same category, and they usually call for checking oil with the machine level. In the case of the LS650, the oil quantity is actually cast into the metal of the engine, near the window, thus obviating the need to check a manual. It is also standard procedure to fill the oil to the "FULL" mark (or to between "ADD" and "FULL"), whatever the manual says about quantity. That allows for, say, an incomplete drain at oil change. Some car engines, for example, had an oil pan with two drain plugs, and if they were not both removed the oil didn't all drain out.

Personally, I think Suzuki's oil check method is correct in that they want the engine (motorcycle) level. I am not going to argue about one or another manual being incorrect, unless I see the manual. I quoted the manual I have, and gave its date. Anyone with a differently-dated manual is welcome to post what it says.

As far as training newbies, I would tell them to fill the engine until the oil comes to the "L" mark in the window with the bike level. Then follow Suzuki's procedure of starting the engine for a minute or two, shutting it off and rechecking. Top off if needed.

By the way, I voted "Had to do it again to be sure." But I have had to wipe and recheck many an automotive dipstick, too, either because clean oil was hard to see or because oil trapped in the dipstick tube messed up the readings.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #147 - 11/07/10 at 08:14:28

One quick question and I'm done. How many posts and years of riding does it take until you are no longer considered a "newbie"???????????
Apparently, 10,000 miles and 3 1/2 years isn't enough to satisfy some.

Undecided

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #148 - 11/07/10 at 08:19:45

Oh hey, Bill, I didn't realize how close you were to me--I'm in Racine. I wonder how many times I've ridden past your house and not known it. Maybe we should get together some sunny day and compare notes..

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #149 - 11/07/10 at 08:34:07

Yes we will have to ride some time, this year is pretty well shot,I really don't ride below 60 .I think your about 40 miles away from Genoa city.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 04:32:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level in window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.