Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GM salmon to be first "frankenanimal" (Read 205 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: GM salmon to be first "frankenanimal"
Reply #15 - 09/22/10 at 15:07:56

Two different news reports on them, the most recent being last night.
As KEL stated their meant solely for human consumption, not restocking of the wild variety.
One of the fears listed is they would replace the wild salmon. Its been reitterated several time that they are sterile and are being raised in and would continue to be raised in secure facilities to prevent any escapes into the wild.

The second biggest fear is will they be safe for human consumption after gentic modification. Cant be any worse then irradiated beef or meats and veggies with all the d@mn chemicals in them already.
Unless you grow it yourself you have NO IDEA what your eatting now days. HeII, most of the grains we now use have been modified in some way. Corn, soybean, wheat, you name it.

I think its the japanese that are working on makeing either apple or plum trees (cant remember) that taste like strawberries, peachs, ect just so they can raise and eat one type of tree fruit with several flavours.

The sad part is fears of escape are founded on fact. IN recent years there have already been a couple of escapes of geneticly altered species into the wild. They generaly take over the wild variety.
Theres also this to think about for sterile species......Mother Nature always finds a way for them to reproduce.

I dont really know what to think about the salmon, twice as big twice as fast on the same food. Look, smell and taste the same. Could it be a step in evolution of the salmon with mans help?
We're already cloneing.

And you know the thing most folks overlook is the reason. Its to improve crop and meat yields. Why? To feed our ever increaseng populations wolrd wide. Aint got room to swing a dead cat now days for all the folks and we want to feed even more people.
Best to be working on a working space program or else get to work on undersea habitat, because there isnt a lot of land left to fill up with people and be able to have land to produce the geneticly altered crops.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #16 - 09/22/10 at 16:35:33

I think it's been going on longer than you think,whan I came to this country in 1967 I noticed a big difference in the taste of food,in fact I still don't like it,I guess that's why I never got fat,I eat to live, not live to eat.
For instance the ham is so different,I think the reason is your pigs and beef are corn fed,we don't grow much corn in England the Animals eat there normal diet of grass and slop for the pigs ,we get the slop from schools and Army barracks, The bacon you serve here the butcher gives away in England or did at one time,bread is a terrible excuse for bread, Breaking bread in America is a joke,if you wanted to you could squeeze a whole loaf into the size of a golf ball. And real cheese Chedder cheese from chedder England,same with Cheshire cheese from cheshire England.
You guys might have heard bad things about british food ,but it's great wholesome food and the taste is ten times better ,Fish-n-chips to die for,cold Atlantic fish is way better than warm water fish,ask any new Englander ,or old Englander. Maine Lobster ,crab cakes I found the best in Boston,ok our sea food is about the same if it's frome the east coast.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/24/10 at 09:29:53

GMO is the foot in the door for all meat products. I wonder what eating the GMO stuff will do to people? Can't be good- sort of like eating garbage chemicals that weren't meant to be eaten. But then all of the fish in the world glow with mercury, so what will be the difference. Most of us already glow with trash chemicals!
Where was this super salmon when they need fish to swim Love Canal when it was burning! Grin

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/26/10 at 20:26:05

Just eat up and let what is, decay. Been a long time coming. Don't worry about us youngins. Most of us will be dead. The ones that survive will rebuild and hopefully learn from the mistakes of the generations that preceeded us. What isnt going to happen is a grafting of something better onto what exists. Gotta let it fall before you build it back up, so sit back, relax, indulge, and enjoy the show.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 17:18:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › GM salmon to be first "frankenanimal"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.