Send Topic Print
More tips please (Read 363 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
More tips please
09/16/10 at 12:53:28

Sometimes my machine will start to run like it is starved for fuel or will cut off after backing off to make a stop.  Coasting it will not start back up by disengaging the clutch.  Will start after stopping then run a few feet and start coughing again.. Several times at this then it runs as if nothing has happened and might run good for a day, week or the next mile. Have replaced vaccumn line(had a hole) cleaned petcock and fuel filter, Squirted card cleaner thro intake and on my second dose of Seafoam.  I live close to the Mississippi river and might see if it can swim.LOL Grin

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: More tips please
Reply #1 - 09/16/10 at 14:40:03

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Well,you wanted more tips..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/16/10 at 14:40:25

Try running it on prime but make sure you have enough gas. If it runs okay them you have a suspect petcock.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 09/16/10 at 16:21:38

Will do Bubba.............and thanks for the tips Justin.....Glad it wasn't those other 'tips'.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/16/10 at 20:43:24

what year is it?

WWW   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #5 - 09/17/10 at 13:14:49

Year is an 05.  I changed out the plug and it was jet black.  I did the spacer mod after purchase (new) and fiddled with the air mixture at the same time.......plus a K & N filter.  Problem has plagued me the last several weeks.  Thought cleaning petcock  and replacing hoses would solve problem but didn't.  Also checked all connections.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/17/10 at 14:03:56

I asked age cause my '88 petcock, the vacuum damper had turned to a rubber glue sealing off my petcock.

WWW   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #7 - 09/17/10 at 15:23:47

I might replace the petcock as a process of elimination. Maybe try the Raptor.  After that will probably have the carb reworked.  Thanks to all for the help.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/17/10 at 15:31:51

I would put the spacer back in the carb and richen the high speed jet your way rich in mid range.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/18/10 at 06:22:14

Running lean....... starving for fuel,.... while having a black spark plug doesn't pencil out in most cases.

If you did the spacer mod (for a good reason I hope) 5 yrs ago, and its been giving trouble only a short while ago, then the spacer mod isn't the problem.

And if it is an intermittent problem, it is NOT the petcock, or the  spacer, or any of the jet sizes, or any other fixed component (except maybe the s plug) that is giving the problem !!
Or do I take my many years of using logical thinking,....which works most (but not every) times, and throw it right out the window ??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/18/10 at 08:22:14

Baldeagle wrote on 09/17/10 at 13:14:49:
Year is an 05.  I changed out the plug and it was jet black.  I did the spacer mod after purchase (new) and fiddled with the air mixture at the same time.......plus a K & N filter.  Problem has plagued me the last several weeks.  Thought cleaning petcock  and replacing hoses would solve problem but didn't.  Also checked all connections.  

The problem is weeks old ,, dont go lookin at stuff that was done years ago for the cause,
The petcock delivers fuel, no restriction, on prime. The engine is designed to swallow only what it needs. As long as its not suckin gas into the carb thru the vac line, no reason to look at the petcock, IMO.
Put a line on the petcock where the vac goes & suck on it, or , put a small, clear fuel filter inline. If you ever see fuel in it, its a bad thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #11 - 09/18/10 at 08:47:15

I did replace the plug and when I get home next week will run on prime to eliminate the petcock(maybe).  If stallings happen after that will pull carb(and hair) out and go from there.  Thanks again.........now who can I mail my carb to for that job? Smiley
Why does a 72 yr old man who doesn't know jack about fixing motercycles buy one??  Anyplace you want to meet and have a cool one?

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/18/10 at 08:51:35

Just putting it on prime doesnt eliminate it, gotta plug off the vac line at the carb & at the petcock.Or pinch it shut, something, but KNOW theres no vac leak & KNOW theres no fuel flow between petcock & vacuum into carb. Snot hard, mang..

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 09/18/10 at 18:31:29

Baldeagle,
I'm not arguing with anyone here, but I rode my Savage 3 days before it starved out going uphill with the throttle wide open in every gear. Did it again about a week later. Always cranked after I pulled over and let the carb fill up. I didn't know about this forum, so it took me about a month of these little "spells" to figure out the vacuum hose was bad and not clamped. After 6000+ miles it will ocassionally stall or flutter. I just put it on prime and run the snot out of it. These guys KNOW a lot and I KNOW a lot, but sometimes mechanical things throw you a curve. At 72, you are just right to have a good, safe ride and enough sense to not take the chances us 50 somethings take. STM  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #14 - 09/19/10 at 08:35:10

I think one of my problems is my low or midrange is to rich and showing up as a carbon coated plug.  To many short rides in town.  A good ride about 50 miles at 70 once a week would be good therapy for Mr S40.  Haven't ridden with my old 'geezer' friends in a while on our short trips and the plug always looked just  fine. Have had an iridium plug for the past three years......had it out 3months ago and it was OK.  Take it out 2 weeks ago and it was carbon coated jet black.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 21:39:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More tips please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.