Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: 9 11
Reply #75 - 09/17/10 at 08:50:24

LA -

As a student of international politics since my college days, I just feel that my gov't should pursue and protect our national interests including our economic interests around the world.  That's why a gov't exists.

Our best interests are multi-fold.  In certain places, they may be national security, like in the Cold War era when we had to have the Shah in power in Iran to give us access to listening posts to gather intell on the Soviet Union.

In certain other situaitons. like Southeast Asia, it was originally to assure the production of rubber (Vietnam had more rubber plantations than anywhere else) until man-made rubber was perfected enough that access to the supplies of natural rubber became unimportant.

And yes, we have to have access to oil.  We pay for it at market prices.  (No, Bill - we don't steal it).  But we have to have the access.

Idealism has little place in international politics.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #76 - 09/17/10 at 21:48:37

JOG, hammer meet nail! +1000% on your last two posts.

...so Jerry you condone the evil committed in our ha ha, national interest corporate greed?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #77 - 09/18/10 at 10:14:36

I hope my last two or three posts weren't misunderstood - I am not hammering on America, I am just pointing out the discrepancies between propaganda (the "official truth") and history.

History can only be denied or manipulated fo so much before it comes out "as it really was", and it's darn hard to convince people the moon is made of green cheese.

There is a fundamental difference between "national interest" and "corporate interest".

If Goodyear want Vietnamese rubber, OK, go out and buy it.
But if somebody else makes a better offer, you can't just go and declare war and seize it anyhow.
In a small scale it would be called "bully attitude" like the school bully who steals snacks.
In the real world, it would be called "imperial approach" (not empirical, whomever wrote that) or outright "piracy", i.e. "hit&run".

The Shah of Iran was important because it was far better to have Iran on OUR side than on the Soviet side.
And, since Iranians are NOT arabs, they are Persians, Indoeuropeans, they made excellent soldiers, extremely skilled fighter pilots and very competent generals.
Which is why the Imam Khomeini had them all arrested and executed when he came to power, you just can't trust a cmopetent high-ranking military professional, he might even THINK! (I'm being sarcastic - what I really mean is that they were too well trained to be "westerners" to be "reliable" to Islamic rule)

Saddam was put in power by the USA in the early '70s, waged war against Iran because he was told to do so by the US, but when he misbehaved, he was first frowned upon, then got fingers wagging, eventually saw Iraq invaded and he was deposed, arrested, tried (???) and hanged.
Now, since when is a Head of State hung ? Not since the English murdered King Henry III and beheaded James I, IIRC.

A civilized nation does not execute Heads of State.

Now, I do not see how "the free world" could be at danger because somebody wants to sell rubber, or oil, or lithium, to an Indian manufacturer rather than a US, or UK, or Dutch, or Russian manufacturer.
The goods will be on the international market anyway.
You may think I am foolish, but considering my Country only produces the final, finished industrial product, but has no natural raw matter to start with, it can't be all that bad.
Unemployment is not as bad as in those nations who have former colonies or current Territories or satellite states to buy from, it's all "money or nothing" to the Italian economy, but our industry is doing very well, thank you very much.

So, a little more focus on international peace and a little less on corporate fat cats. They could use some Diet Coke. Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #78 - 09/18/10 at 10:26:51

mpescatori wrote on 09/18/10 at 10:14:36:
So, a little more focus on international peace and a little less on corporate fat cats. They could use some Diet Coke. Cool

Yup,...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #79 - 09/18/10 at 10:57:56

Italy also produces some of the best motorcycles in the world.
Unfortunatly also the most expensive,Oh well,you get what you pay for.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #80 - 09/21/10 at 06:28:35

Italy, motorcycles -- now some interesting topics at last!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #81 - 09/21/10 at 06:43:52

mpescatori wrote on 09/18/10 at 10:14:36:
I hope my last two or three posts weren't misunderstood - I am not hammering on America, I am just pointing out the discrepancies between propaganda (the "official truth") and history.

History can only be denied or manipulated fo so much before it comes out "as it really was", and it's darn hard to convince people the moon is made of green cheese.

There is a fundamental difference between "national interest" and "corporate interest".

If Goodyear want Vietnamese rubber, OK, go out and buy it.
But if somebody else makes a better offer, you can't just go and declare war and seize it anyhow.
In a small scale it would be called "bully attitude" like the school bully who steals snacks.
In the real world, it would be called "imperial approach" (not empirical, whomever wrote that) or outright "piracy", i.e. "hit&run".

The Shah of Iran was important because it was far better to have Iran on OUR side than on the Soviet side.
And, since Iranians are NOT arabs, they are Persians, Indoeuropeans, they made excellent soldiers, extremely skilled fighter pilots and very competent generals.
Which is why the Imam Khomeini had them all arrested and executed when he came to power, you just can't trust a cmopetent high-ranking military professional, he might even THINK! (I'm being sarcastic - what I really mean is that they were too well trained to be "westerners" to be "reliable" to Islamic rule)

Saddam was put in power by the USA in the early '70s, waged war against Iran because he was told to do so by the US, but when he misbehaved, he was first frowned upon, then got fingers wagging, eventually saw Iraq invaded and he was deposed, arrested, tried (???) and hanged.
Now, since when is a Head of State hung ? Not since the English murdered King Henry III and beheaded James I, IIRC.

A civilized nation does not execute Heads of State.

Now, I do not see how "the free world" could be at danger because somebody wants to sell rubber, or oil, or lithium, to an Indian manufacturer rather than a US, or UK, or Dutch, or Russian manufacturer.
The goods will be on the international market anyway.
You may think I am foolish, but considering my Country only produces the final, finished industrial product, but has no natural raw matter to start with, it can't be all that bad.
Unemployment is not as bad as in those nations who have former colonies or current Territories or satellite states to buy from, it's all "money or nothing" to the Italian economy, but our industry is doing very well, thank you very much.

I was waiting for the responses.. I see no one wants to rassle with ya on this.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 09/22/10 at 05:46:06

mpescatori; I would strongly dispute the words Saddam and Head of State used in the same sentance...

Was your own Mussolini hanged as a Head of State?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #83 - 09/22/10 at 06:18:18

Saddam sure have not been hung,It should have been GWB.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #84 - 09/22/10 at 09:25:36

bill67 wrote on 09/22/10 at 06:18:18:
Saddam sure have not been hung,It should have been GWB.

+1

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #85 - 09/24/10 at 09:54:46

mpescatori -- so correct,  the US is out of control. It is slowly becoming a brutal place to live. Liberals used to turn the other cheek to the conservatives and there would be mutual respect. After President Nixon was impeached, the right went after President Clinton. Since then it has been awful. In the course of all of this, the right have been manipulated by the corporate capitalists into a real frenzy. The byproduct of this is that the corporate capitalists run free - no regulation, free capital, and the military might of the US. Our wars are imperialistic money makers cloaked as security enhancers. Liberals are stepping up the rhetoric to hold off the neocon led conservatives, but it doesn't look good. If you have a rabid skunk, you need to shoot it. I hope it doesn't come to that!! Wink Wink Wink :'( :'( :'(

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 09/24/10 at 12:28:12

TC, i think we're living in different countries.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #87 - 09/24/10 at 12:54:26

the persian rat pres of iran said our govt(gwb reelection team) took out the towers..
must be true

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #88 - 09/24/10 at 12:56:45

When was the last time Iran bombed another country.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #89 - 09/24/10 at 13:56:05

You know when the USA is expecting and attack they spread the pres and vice pres a distant apart,On 911 they were spread a pretty good distant apart,And George was in innocently talking to kindergarten kids Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 15:10:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › 9 11

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.