fokker D1 (Read 331 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
fokker D1
08/22/10 at 23:32:19

I was polishing my trustie miata and I looked up and ther was an old model aeroplane I made at least 5 years ago,I thought I had better take a picture of it before it disintigrated, it actualy flew once with a rubber powered motor ,it landed bad and the undercarraige was distroyed ,so I rebuilt it and hung it up,never to fly again.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: fokker D1
Reply #1 - 08/23/10 at 02:22:44

NICE MODEL MIC

I USE TO BUILD 'M TOO ... BUT THEN AFTER I GOT TIRED OF LOOKING AT THEM SITTING THERE FOR A WHILE THEY WOULD GO DOWN IN A DOG FIGHT OF FROM HEAVY ARTILLARY     Grin

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/23/10 at 06:40:39

Airplanes of that era, being only 13 or so years after the Wright Bros. were horrible in most respects.

They had only a very elementary understanding of aerodynamics and aircraft structural requirements, and less about stability and control.

A guy here in Columbus who made a ton of dough as one of the very first Volkswagen distributors back in the late 50s thru the 70s had an authentic replica of a Fokker Triplane.  The only thing different was that is used a 1930s vintage radial engine instead of the old rotary.

This guy had been a WW II fighter pilot, and was a very good pilot.  He told me that the Fokker was so unstable that it scared him to fly it.  He could not let go of the controls for a heartbeat before the thing was all over the sky.

The rotary engines of the WW I day were quite something.  A rotary engine has the crankshaft fixed to the firewall, and all of the rest of the contraption, cylinders and all, rotate about that fixed crankshaft.

The amount of torque they generate is horrid - they also had no throttle - you only had a kill switch to regulate the power output - either all or nothing.  That's why you hear the engines "burping" as they land, as the pilot works the kill switch off and on to regulate the power.

The young men who took to the skies in WW I were a breed unto themselves - and were a breed with a very short life expectancy.  Far more were killed in training and routine flying than ever met their end in combat.

The famous French Neuport, maybe the best handling of the WW I fighters, if you can call anything "best" of that era, would shed its wings in a dive with regularity.  And all of this was before fighter pilots wore parachutes.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 08/23/10 at 06:53:00

Nice plane Mick. Great you still have it and in the same building as your Miata. I hope the feeling continues to come back in your hand and you will add a bike to the garage and it be included in the picture as well.. kim   Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/23/10 at 07:05:07

The amount of torque they generate is horrid - they also had no throttle - you only had a kill switch to regulate the power output - either all or nothing.  That's why you hear the engines "burping" as they land, as the pilot works the kill switch off and on to regulate the power.

Ya know, Id heard about airplane engines that spun around the mounted crankshaft, but it never even crossed my mind that a throttle would be impossible. I cant understand how its possible to decide to build something thatway. What events caused the first builder to decide to do it that way instead of mounting the block to the firewall? I just wonder,, anyone have an idea?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/23/10 at 07:14:19

Pretty sure that's a DR-1, mick.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 08/23/10 at 07:30:44

Yup! DR-1 Triplane

Here's a DR-7 Biplane

Often touted as being one of the very best fighter planes of WW1

For those interested in the early years of aviation and WW1 air warfare in particular, Cpt. Eddie Rickenbacker's (American WW1 Ace) book Fighting the Flying Circus makes for fascinating reading as does Up and At 'Em! by fighter pilot Harold Hartney

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/23/10 at 07:40:17

JOG -

I don't know why for sure, but I once heard that it had to do with lubrication of the upper cylinders.  Centrifugal force in a rotary threw the oil from the crankcase outward toward the upper cylinders.

We have to keep in mind how primitive even gasoline engines were in those days - forced lubrication with an oil pump and channels within the engine to distribute the oil to all of the parts needing lubrication was quite an advancement when it came.

The Wright Bros.' engine didn't even have a carburetor - there was just a little drip pan into which the gasoline was dripped, and from the pan it ran into the intake manifold, where it mixed with incoming air.  A wonder it ran at all.

I'm not very knowledgeable about WW I stuff, but if you look at the rickety aircraft at the beginning in 1914, and then at the end in 1918, it's amazing how much advancement was made in those 5 years.

I suppose you can say the same thing about the WW II era - beginning the war with open cockpit biplanes still in the inventories of most of the combatant nations, and ending with the Brits, Germans, and the U.S. having jets, and of course, with the U.S. having an atomic bomb.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/23/10 at 09:01:51

I'm partial to the D-IV albatross.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/23/10 at 10:03:06

verslagen1 wrote on 08/23/10 at 07:14:19:

your right,I was close.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/23/10 at 10:58:54

mick wrote on 08/23/10 at 10:03:06:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/23/10 at 07:14:19:

your right,I was close.

& you give me grief about the way I write.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/23/10 at 11:23:16

Any one know why the Mig was so much better than the F85 that we dropped out of the Korean (Conflict).

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/23/10 at 11:32:04

bill67 wrote on 08/23/10 at 11:23:16:
Any one know why the Mig was so much better than the F85 that we dropped out of the Korean (Conflict).

Tactics, they ran better and only attacked when they had an advantage.

Same thing in Nam, only they didn't have to dodge sams too.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/23/10 at 11:41:04

They were built heavier,Making them more bullet proof,And faster with more horsepower.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 08/23/10 at 13:19:44

Bill -

The Mig-15 was lighter, not heavier, than an F-86.  It could out turn the Sabre, but the Sabre was faster in a dive.  The real number, the kill ratio, was about 10 to 1 in favor of the F-86.  Our pilots and tactics were far superior.  Also, the Mig 15 could not survive much battle damage - it was fairly fragile.

In Vietnam, it was another story.  The old workhorse F-4 was a pig in a fight.  It had been designed as a bomber intercepter, not a dogfighter.  The original models didn't have a gun; only missiles.  Later versions got a gun mounted on an external pod, then the E model got an internal gun.  It was fast, but suffered in maneuverability.  It was living proof that given enough thrust, a barn door could be made to fly.

With the F-4, we had to keep the fight vertical to take advantage of the thrust in both climbing and diving.  But if a Mig-19 or -21 could turn the fight horizontal, we had our hands full.  The kill ratio was horrible, and the Navy started the Top Gun school, and the Air Froce started operation Red Flag to improve pilot training, then the tables turned in our favor once again.

The best way to deal with a Mig was to enter a slight dive, about negative 15 degrees deck angle, go to full afterburners, and get the he!! out of there.  The Mig could never catch a Phantom in a straight line, let alone on a dive.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 18:54:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › fokker D1

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.