L130 bolt - stripped (Read 394 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: L130 bolt - stripped
Reply #15 - 01/03/11 at 05:09:09

verslagen1 wrote on 01/02/11 at 17:55:38:
You could do that, but it's pretty darn micky mouse.

But if one were to properly re-tap the hole...

I suggested a non-metric size (turns out to be 1/4") because I 've never seen a 7mm bolt.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 01/03/11 at 06:07:03

There is such thing as a M7 bolt. It's just hard to find. Standard threads are more coarse then metric. In this case I would try the 1/4" bolt method, but either use a tap that can reach that far, or use the bolt and modify it like a tap. I bet this works if you do it right. It's not elegant, but will do the job. I consider the helicoil method more professional, but harder to accomplish. The problem is the depth of the hole. Helicoiling that deep is difficult.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #17 - 01/03/11 at 06:45:06

Another approach: tap the hole for M7 or M8, then screw in a stud.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-studs/=afh4uy

You could top it with an acorn nut.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#acorn-nuts/=afh65k

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 01/03/11 at 07:35:50

That would work too. But the problem with all those solutions is to get a tap down deep in that hole. I'm not sure if they make taps that long. An extension would be difficult also, since it would have to be really thin walled to fit in the hole. Even if you find a tap that long, it will be extremely fragile, since usually the hole thing is hardened, and boy if that breaks off half way down the hole, you gonna have a lot more trouble. A modified bolt is softer and flexes more. It won't break off as easy. A tap that long, with a thin hardened shaft shears off really easy. That is one stupid design with thin bolts that long, screwed into aluminum, and frequently scheduled to be removed and assembled again.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #19 - 01/03/11 at 07:50:29

That bolt threads into the cylinder and only slides through the head and head cover. So we're talking about tapping only the 15mm or so in the cylinder -- with the head removed, of course.

I just removed that bolt and guess what came out with it -- helicoil. So this was buggered up while the previous owner had it. Helicoil is obviously only a temporary fix.

"That is one stupid design with thin bolts that long, screwed into aluminum, and frequently scheduled to be removed and assembled again."

That's why a long stud might make more sense. And it's easier to get studs that long than 130mm bolts.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #20 - 01/03/11 at 08:13:20

Both my 125 and 130 were stripped on the bike I'm working on. I tried most of the fixes suggested here to try and avoid pulling the head off. After it became apparent that I was beating a dead horse I pulled the head off and bought a 6mm X 1 helicoil kit on amazon for 27 bucks.

I didn't even have to drill out the 2 holes since the block was so soft. Just used some grease on the tap so that the chips would stick to it as I tapped both of them out. Thought about putting 2 stacked helicoils in but opted for just the one.

Of course, my engine was out so it made it somewhat easier except for having to pull the cam and the associated stuff. Anyway, I've yet to button everything back up since I ordered a gasket kit for it. Once you pull the head the advice I've got from here is to replace that head gasket so that's what I'm doing...
Once everything is back in place I'm pretty sure those heli's will hold. I tested them w/o the cover on and they were able to torque above spec and then I backed them out no problem...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 01/03/11 at 08:24:00

I'd do the rest if you got the coils.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 01/03/11 at 08:51:45

Thought about it but this is the bike I'm fixing up to sell. I know the coils are pretty cheap but really want to just get her running. Besides ,if I do the others I may botch one and then I'd be kicking myself for going overboard...

This bike is just to see if I can get in there and fix some problems. So far I'm having fun and not too worried about being perfect but I do want it to be in decent shape for whoever buys it.

If/When I pull the jug on my good bike maybe I'll use them for that.
I was thinking that after I sell it I'd use the profit to possibly mod out my primary bike...maybe new cam, bore and piston???? Or just use the dough to bob it??? Or pay bills...but that's not much fun...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #23 - 01/04/11 at 06:38:11

well that teflon tape and jb weld fix sounds interesting - tapping or helicoiling a 130mm deep hole sounds frustrating and potentially hazardous the health of the bike....i took the mickey mouse way out after being frustrated with lock-tite, silicon, gasket sealer, etc - I did use the old plug the freakin hole and drill and bolt the cover the fin method after the 4th try at using the exisaitng 130mm bolts and various non-mickey mouse fixes - only to get a leak out of the hole after about 10 days of riding......the plug has been in the hole for 2 weeks now ridden 5 times no leaks...we'll see....I am not enough of a mechanic to remove the engine and head and fix the threaded hole.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/04/11 at 12:47:47

verslagen1 wrote on 01/02/11 at 17:43:21:
Sometimes putting in a new bolt will fix the issue.

I've got a new 130 bolt on the way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't want to tear this thing down again! Angry

How difficult will it be to access this bolt once I get the engine back in the bike?

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #25 - 01/04/11 at 13:26:21

getting to the bolt not so bad getting to the bolt threads - tear it down again;

to get to the bolt - seat off, tank off, right chrome trim cover off, bolt is right there on the right rear corner of the head cover.......the threads are 130mm (5.11 inches) down that hole. Angry

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 01/04/11 at 13:42:40

There's only one (ok 2 for those of you that need the captive bolt for the glory covers) that can't be replaced once the engine is in place, the one dead center of the head cover.  Your's is on the perimeter.  easy to change out.  don't forget the sealing washer.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › L130 bolt - stripped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.