Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam guides and timing help needed (Read 65 times)
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
Cam guides and timing help needed
09/05/10 at 08:53:31

Hi all,

Some of you have read my recent post about my messed up engine and the damage done by a snapped valve...So, I now have a replacement engine..

I've given it a clean up, and it appears that the reason for the guy scrapping his Savage in the first place was the cam chain tensioner falling apart...I am guessing this for several reasons...

Only half the tensioner is present
The cam chain apprears to have a nasty kink in it
The entire casing is missing...presumed mangled
Both cam guides are gone

Anyways, I have all the missing bits, and a new chain and tensioner on my old engine so not a parts issue.  What does concern me is timing it...Can I time it before I put the engine back in the frame??

Also the cam tensioner guides (the two long black plasic things either side of the chain, in case they're called something else in the US) are missing, I have removed one from my old engine, but the other one appears to be fixed (the rear one I think)  How do I go about removing this fixed guide??  I am sure there are clear posts on this site answering both these questions  but I have trawled through pages and pages and just can't find what I'm looking for.

Please help, I am hoping to start the rebuild this week.  Oh yeah, the new engine has the barrel, head and rocker cover off, but the piston was still on the crank.  I have examined the piston and barrel and they look pretty good, piston had some carbon on the top, but I removed this using some fine wet and dry paper...is there anything I should be looking out for, some silly little mistake that's common to make when reassembling the engine??

Any advice gratefully received Undecided Undecided

Its better to be scared to death than bored to death....

There's ALWAYS a Plan B!!
  IP Logged
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
Re: Cam guides and timing help needed
Reply #1 - 09/05/10 at 08:56:13

Oops, I almost forgot, can anyone link me to an article that gives easy instructions on timing, I know I read somewhere that the Clymer manual is wrong about which direction you turn the crank to get TDC and I am also concerned that the camshaft isn't actually attached so how will I know which way up to put it???

Sorry if all these questions seem a little dumb, but I amoutta my league AND a girl!!!!  Wink

Its better to be scared to death than bored to death....

There's ALWAYS a Plan B!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/05/10 at 09:16:55

Quote:
Only half the tensioner is present
The cam chain apprears to have a nasty kink in it
The entire casing is missing...presumed mangled
Both cam guides are gone
don't use that chain, throw it away.

Quote:
What does concern me is timing it...Can I time it before I put the engine back in the frame??
Yes.

Quote:
Also the cam tensioner guides (the two long black plasic things either side of the chain) are missing, I have removed one from my old engine, but the other one appears to be fixed (the rear one I think)  How do I go about removing this fixed guide??
It's trapped between the head and cylinder, you have to remove the head to get at it.

There are a couple of walk thru's...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246924611
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #3 - 09/05/10 at 18:52:38

This may sound stupid, on my part, but did you remove the pivot pin(bolt) that is up on the top end?  Its a 10mm chrome one.  The rear guide pivots on it and it kind of "holds" it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:16:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam guides and timing help needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.