Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best way to richen 1/8 to 1/4 throttle? (Read 224 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Best way to richen 1/8 to 1/4 throttle?
09/02/10 at 07:04:15

Pilot or Needle?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Best way to richen 1/8 to 1/4 throttle?
Reply #1 - 09/02/10 at 07:34:47

From what I understand ...

....  the pilot jet and the air setting screw (under the brass plug) controls idle to first cracked throttle,

.... the needle height controls to half throttle

.... the main jet controls the rest

yet "controls" is a relative term as each earlier stage mildly affects the ones that follow it.

Go after the needle height first (white spacer mod) then see what you get before going further.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 09/02/10 at 10:41:50

Ok, I know it's a tad off topic, but how was that 5 seconds full throttle and then back to 3/4 throttle and see if it gains speed test again? That was done in top gear I remember, and if it gains speed after backing off a little the main jet is what? Too small or too big? And at what speed/rpm is it recommended to the test?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/02/10 at 10:47:37

4th or fifth gear,.. accelerate into the power band, then let off just a little (1/8 turn or less)...  
If you feel a slight increase in acceleration before dropping off.... you are lean on the main jet... Go up one size and test again...

Do this on a normal weather day,... extra hot, humid, or cold, etc... will effect results...
Do all jetting on normal weather days..... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/02/10 at 11:20:22

Ok I guess I did it right already. Couldn't feel any acceleration while backing off. So seems I'm fine with the stock 145. I had the 150 in before and it fouled the plug.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/02/10 at 12:42:43

Speaking from what worked great for me, I'd raise the needle. (wht spacer mod) From what I understand these needles used to have slots w/ a clip for that very same adjustment.

I would sure think that changing the main jet would richen the entire range, except for very low speed/idle

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 09/02/10 at 07:04:15:
Pilot or Needle?

-D. Dwarf

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 09/02/10 at 13:50:49

Routy wrote on 09/02/10 at 12:42:43:
I would sure think that changing the main jet would richen the entire range, except for very low speed/idle

I was under the impression that the exact opposite was true. The amount of fuel flowing through the main jet is being metered by the needle when the throttle is mostly closed. Increasing the size of the main jet shouldn't allow more fuel past the needle.

Of course, I'm usually wrong when it comes to carburetors.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 09/02/10 at 14:23:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/02/10 at 07:34:47:
Go after the needle height first (white spacer mod) then see what you get before going further.

Routy wrote on 09/02/10 at 12:42:43:
Speaking from what worked great for me, I'd raise the needle. (wht spacer mod) From what I understand these needles used to have slots w/ a clip for that very same adjustment.

As you can see in my signature, I've already adjusted the needle height once. I can remove one of the three washers and reduce the spacer to 1mm.

I just wanted to get some opinions before I went too far.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 09/02/10 at 14:57:23

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 09/02/10 at 07:04:15:
Pilot or Needle?

-D. Dwarf

the pilot jet is the primary control for idle to 1/4 throttle
needle jet & jet needle ... 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
main jet .... 3/4 throttle to W/O (wide open)

*there is of course overlap between the 3 major fuel circuits above, but for basic purposes that is the way a carb works

THIS IS THE GENERAL RULE OF THUMB FOR ALL MOTORCYCLE CARBURETORS

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267299409

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262724030/0

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 09/02/10 at 20:27:20

LANCER wrote on 09/02/10 at 14:57:23:

*there is of course overlap between the 3 major fuel circuits above, but for basic purposes that is the way a carb works

Thanks for the links.

Just to make sure I understand:
If I dial in the idle as described in the linked threads and still have "lean hunting" under 1/4 throttle, I should go up one on the pilot jet and re-adjust the mixture screw.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/03/10 at 01:58:05

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 09/02/10 at 20:27:20:

Thanks for the links.

If I dial in the idle as described in the linked threads and still have "lean hunting" under 1/4 throttle, I should go up one on the pilot jet and re-adjust the mixture screw.

-D. Dwarf

YEP ...when talking about the stock carb, turning the pilot air adjusting screw 'out" (CCW) richens the mixture.  You never want to go more than 3 turns out lest the screw drop out on you.  If the engine still acts lean at 3 turns out then go up 1 size on the pilot jet and start over with the screw adjustments

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 09/03/10 at 04:40:26

Is there a chart for the actual drill size in jets? I wish I could make something between a 52.5 and a 55 pilot.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 09/03/10 at 05:37:25

ralfyguy wrote on 09/03/10 at 04:40:26:
Is there a chart for the actual drill size in jets? I wish I could make something between a 52.5 and a 55 pilot.

not sure about a chart...I have vague shadows in my mind but have no idea if it is the chart you want
I do not have this info on hand right now but will try to find out.
...ever seen a drill bit small enough to use for a pilot jet ? ?   not me

there are sets of tiny files, some regular and some diamond coated, but the sets are basically the same size and shape
the round pointed file can be used VERY CAREFULLY to enlarge the hole in a jet
just keep in mind that the jet is made of brass and is very soft compared to the file
insert the point of the file in the hole of the jet and rotate the file with your finger tips GENTLY once or twice and then check it

I try to find a wire that just barely goes through the hole of the jet, so I have something to use to compare after each filing...does it go through about the same or is it easier ?
if it feels like the hole is slightly larger then install in the carb and test it.

the holes are so small to begin with that it does not take much at all to change the fuel flow a LOT, so go slow and easy

The first time I tried this I filed the hole until I could SEE that it was larger.....  at that point I had already jumped 3-4 jet sizes, so DO NOT GO BY HOW IT LOOKS ...find a wire that just barely fits and judge by how it feels going in and out.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 09/03/10 at 07:02:28

LANCER wrote on 09/03/10 at 01:58:05:
DrunkenDwarf wrote on 09/02/10 at 20:27:20:
Thanks for the links.

-D. Dwarf

YEP ...when talking about the stock carb, turning the pilot air adjusting screw 'out" (CCW) richens the mixture.  You never want to go more than 3 turns out lest the screw drop out on you.  If the engine still acts lean at 3 turns out then go up 1 size on the pilot jet and start over with the screw adjustments

So, let's say I've got the idle perfect at 2 turns on with the 52.5 and there is still an off idle lean issue. Should I turn out the mixture screw or go up a jet size first?

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #14 - 09/03/10 at 09:58:43

I've got a couple questions about these links.

First, the stock white spacer in my carburetor was 2.8 mm and the washers you sent me were 0.5mm thick. The end result is the same number of suggested washers, but the thicknesses are different that you posted.

Second, what's 4000 rpm in 4th gear work out to be in mph (assume stock tire/belt/etc).

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:28:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best way to richen 1/8 to 1/4 throttle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.