very broken savage (Read 254 times)
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
very broken savage
08/30/10 at 07:35:34

Sad   Hi all, New to this site, but am on it almost daily trying to get info about the savage.  I have a 1992 savage and when on the motorway the other day there was a loud bang then nothing, dead.  Managed to get safely to the side of the road, after several towtrucks and breakdown guys, we managed to remove the spark plug which was shredded.

A week later, havin taken the engine out and the full horror revealed, I have a piston I can get three fingers through, a very badly battered head, a damaged barrel and  a snapped valve that I guess was the cause of the damage, snapped clean off ...Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the piece of valve that's missing and really don't want the prospect of splitting the lower half of the engine....

So, firstly, with this level of damage...Is it worth repairing??  I am in UK, so anyone in UK know the sort of prices for repairing head and barrel etc...also, If I get all the work done, and don't retrieve that pice of valve...how much more damage can the darn thing do???

Failing all that, has anyone got a cheap savage engine they wanna sale, pref 5 speed????

Also, can anyone suggest what might have caused the valve to snap???  I had cam chain and tensioner done about a month ago, and the guy who did it said one of the rocker arms was worn...now I've seen it myself, it is pretty worn...will this mean a whole new rocker cover, or arer the arms available seperately???

Sorry to throw all these uestions in one post but I am way outta my depth here...I took the engine out mainly wioth the use of the advice on here and a downloaded Clymer Manual, I have never had to do more than change a cable or clutch before...Still, not bad for a girl I guess!!!  All advice gratefully welcome guys Undecided

Its better to be scared to death than bored to death....

There's ALWAYS a Plan B!!
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: very broken savage
Reply #1 - 08/30/10 at 08:15:07

- edited due to lack of typing skill  Wink -

My sympathies. I'm sure a bunch of others will jump in, but for my .02 cents (do you say that in the UK?) a 1992 engine is not worth repairing unless you really want to or have no other options regardless of the hours on the engine. This would be especially true if you are going to have someone else do the work.

I would be very suspicious of a cam chain/tensioner repair done so recently and then what sounds like a major timing error. I would surmise what caused the valve to snap is that the piston struck it. I don't think a worn rocker arm would cause this. Did the engine sound OK after the repair? Was it running OK and at full power?

Again in my opinion if you have the damage you are describing, if you want to rebuild the engine, it all has to be taken apart to find out where all the pieces of metal went and to check for more damage. It would be really - put your word here, I'll use - "frustrating" to rebuild the top just to find out that there was bomb waiting for you in the lower 1/2.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/30/10 at 09:09:32

I'd go with a new engine as well.
You are most likely going to be hiring out rebuilding and it will cost you a fortune.
A worn rocker is not uncommon, but a single one is.  As it's an indication of poor oil flow to the head.
I wish there was an easy was to know what caused this failure.  But we can only surmise either it was an issue prior to the cam chain replacement or caused by it.  I assume the cam chain was still properly in place?  Are the cam journals worn out?  Next possibility from a prior issue is a stuck valve.

used engines will be in excess of 100 lbs [45kg]

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/30/10 at 09:14:40

Parts are high. Used engines arent so insane. Slam an engine in it, save a few busted parts for mementos.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
Reply #4 - 08/30/10 at 09:25:01

The engine sounded fine after the cam chainand tensioner were replaced.. did about 500 motorway miles on it before it went bang, and the cam chain and tensioner were still undamaged and in place when I took it apart...does make me wonder about the timing though...cam journals (are those guides??) different vocab US/UK lol..if you did mean the cam guides, the two black plastic things either side of the cam chain, they are in perfect condition....

Guess I gotta keep my eyes open for a replacement bike or engine  Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 08/30/10 at 10:26:20

500 miles brings up another thought - was the oil level correct (before and after the chaos?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/30/10 at 10:37:18

Idhave a close look at the seats ( if theyre not mangled). These have been known to drop valves, tho. Might have just been one of the things that was about to happen, no matter what you did. Save all the good parts you can.Might sell or use them later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
Reply #7 - 08/30/10 at 16:20:20

drained just over a litre of oil out before I took the engine out, so down a little I guess, but far feom empty....

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #8 - 08/30/10 at 17:50:41

I dont have much in the way of technical advice, but I can offer my sympathy.  Had the exact same thing happen to my Savage, less than 20 hours after I bought it.  Took it back to the dealer and they were awesome.  Swapped out the engine with another Savage they had, with about 20,000 less miles on it.  I'd have to go with group vote here, replacing the engine would be my choice too.  Of course I'd have never gotten as much done as you have. I know my limits.  Good luck, and keep us posted.   Smiley

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/30/10 at 20:23:24

bikergirluk wrote on 08/30/10 at 09:25:01:
cam journals (are those guides??) different vocab US/UK lol..if you did mean the cam guides

You may have not opened it up yet, the places wear the cam spins.
If they are worn out, it would be an indication that it starved for oil.

and that reminds me, very often someone puts the oil pump drive gear on backwards and it disengages from the back of the clutch.  If the clutch is still on, reach behind it and there's a gear.  it should engage with a gear forward of it.

WWW   IP Logged
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
Reply #10 - 09/03/10 at 19:30:48

Angie wrote on 08/30/10 at 17:50:41:
 Of course I'd have never gotten as much done as you have. I know my limits.  Good luck, and keep us posted.   Smiley

Angie, I never even dreamt of my limits until this happened!!!  Its amazing how much you can do with an online Clymer manual, the guys on this site, and a decent set of spanners and sockets!!!  I was WAY outta my comfort zone, but I've learned so much!! Smiley

IP Logged
bikergirluk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bristol UK
Reply #11 - 09/03/10 at 19:34:30

Latest update .....managed to find a replacement engine, minus the clutch casing for £280!!  Picking it up tomorrow.  Barrell has been separated from bottom end, so I'll be able to have a good look inside it and make sure it looks good...Head is apparently immaculate, so I'm hopeful that the beast will be back on the road sometime next weekend...Just waiting for a gasket set to come through from wemoto and the transplant will commence...Thanks for all your help and advice guys, both through this post and all over the rest of the site, I couldn't have done it without you all...will keep you posted on the rebuild Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › very broken savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.